Bimini

jroon

Oct 9, 2018
O'Day 25 Winnipeg Beach
OK, I am probably opening myself up to ridicule, so I bow my head in shame, right off the hop. Anyway, I want a bimini on my O'Day 25. However, the boom extends quite a ways into the cockpit. Now I have seen pics of the boom being over the bimini, but it seems to me that would really restrict head clearance and the ability to sail. So, is the idea to retract the bimini when under way? Just using it for sunshade at anchor or dock? First sail yesterday after craning in, so maybe I have sunstroke.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I had a Bimini made to half fold. And that worked pretty well. I found that I left the front half folded most of the time, so the next one was maximized to the back of the boom and shaded the helm station and the lazarette.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Do you want shade while sailing or shade while at anchor? or both?

For shade while sailing a Bimini is hard to beat, however, as you note on some boats this limits head room in the cockpit and leaves much of the cockpit exposed.

For shade at anchor or at the dock, consider a boom tent. This is a tarp stretched over the top of the boom and can extend from the mast aft to the back stay. A boom tent really helps to keep the cabin and cockpit cool, but you can't sail with one up. The attached photo shows one I made. It is not yet complete, just a test fit before adding spreader poles. When it was completed there were 2 aluminum poles at the fore and aft ends to hold it out.

IMG_0092.jpeg

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
It's a problem on smaller boats. The bimini on my Starwind 27 was under the boom and I had to stoop under it when sailing. It was a little inconvenient and I sailed without bimini depending on the season and whether or not we were racing. I really did prefer to sail without the bimini but in the middle of summer, it was necessary to have it deployed.

BTW, it was possible for me to fold it up and cover the canvas, with the supports basically grouped around the backstay. I never liked that option because it was still a problem. I found that I either sailed with it on or I removed it entirely.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
As an owner of an Oday 25 with a bimini ,hopefully this will be of some help . The bimini itself is really not an issue . The fabric needs to stop the forward bow from touching the mainsheet . When I sewed the bimini I ended up cutting a slot in the back of it for the backstay .
With the slot cut 8" the bimini was able to provide a surprising amount of shade. and not be in the way .
I'll see if I can find some photos

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I guess it depends whether you spend more time sailing than sitting in the cockpit at the dock. As nice as it is to have a cover at the dock, that blue and white one looks like more of a pain in the ass to crawl in and out of, than the shade is worth, especially if you aren't 22.
if you are going to have a dockside or at anchor shade, spend a few extra bucks and make it easy to get in and out of. I sailed for years w/o a bimini (before they were invented) and would never willingly do it again. After 50 years in the tropical sun, I assumed I was pretty much immune to skin cancer. I assumed wrong.

19thol

May 2, 2014
Hunter 30 St.Petersburg, Fl
On our boat the bimini is too low to stand under, even for me, so we put it down till we have things set and then pull it back up, if needed. It is a pain to work around when up, almost impossible to get into and out of the slip, but it does keep the temp down when up.

jroon

Oct 9, 2018
O'Day 25 Winnipeg Beach
Do you want shade while sailing or shade while at anchor? or both?

For shade while sailing a Bimini is hard to beat, however, as you note on some boats this limits head room in the cockpit and leaves much of the cockpit exposed.

For shade at anchor or at the dock, consider a boom tent. This is a tarp stretched over the top of the boom and can extend from the mast aft to the back stay. A boom tent really helps to keep the cabin and cockpit cool, but you can't sail with one up. The attached photo shows one I made. It is not yet complete, just a test fit before adding spreader poles. When it was completed there were 2 aluminum poles at the fore and aft ends to hold it out.

View attachment 194647
That is a great idea. I am mostly concerned about shade in the harbor. I was looking at the halyard shades as well today. They are kinda neat as well.

jroon

Oct 9, 2018
O'Day 25 Winnipeg Beach
As an owner of an Oday 25 with a bimini ,hopefully this will be of some help . The bimini itself is really not an issue . The fabric needs to stop the forward bow from touching the mainsheet . When I sewed the bimini I ended up cutting a slot in the back of it for the backstay .
With the slot cut 8" the bimini was able to provide a surprising amount of shade. and not be in the way .
I'll see if I can find some photos
Thank you!!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
As nice as it is to have a cover at the dock, that blue and white one looks like more of a pain in the ass to crawl in and out of, than the shade is worth, especially if you aren't 22.
As rigged in the photo, is it a PITA to crawl under. The photo was from an initial fitting. Three poles were added that ran athwartship which made access much easier.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
On my C&C27 I had a dodger that provided a bit of shade while sailing and a canopy that zipped to the aft end of the dodger, held up by the boom and a horizontal strut while at anchor. It also had zip on side curtains which helped to keep the rain off but also the evening sun. It worked fairly well but not as convenient as a bimini.