Refinishing Hatchboards

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
About five minutes into sanding I realized that it would be much easier to cut new companionway hatchboards than to sand them down. I checked on D&R's website and it turns out it's covered in a veneer which is now ruined. What type of wood would you recommend for new boards?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
If you can find ipe (e-pay) wood, that is great stuff that is like teak, hard and rot resistant. It is used in outdoor decks .

• Helpful
Apr 19, 2010
S2 9.2C Lincoln, NE
I faced the same problem recently. Took the hatch boards to a furniture/cabinet maker with an industrial belt sander. Took less than 15 minutes to sand the boards down to bare wood. Cost me a six-pack of beer.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I made new hatch boards for my Starwind with some hardwood planks that I had (White Ash). The planks were 3/4" thick so very strong and thicker than the teak boards. I painted the boards for a much cleaner look. It certainly improved the look over perpetually peeling varnished teak. Sometimes, I think we get carried away with the traditional look, which gets really old with the maintenance that is required, and it's just time to do something more practical. In the end, I liked the cleaner look of the painted boards much better. I would choose painted solid hardwood over plywood or teak veneer any day.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I vote for acrylic as well. My C&C27 had darkened acrylic hatch boards and I really appreciated the low maintenance as well as the light. It was dark enough you couldn't really see in but let some light through. The screened hatch board was teak, but obviously also let light through the screen.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I have the acrylic that came with the boat. Aged and chipped. Should they fall into the water they will sink like a rock. I have a beautiful set of boards made from Ipe (iron wood). They are as heavy as the acrylic. I love them. Yet they would sink like a rock if given a chance to swim. Both would deflect a boarding wave and help to keep the companionway dry.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Now that you have the opportunity to get rid of the old wooden boards, go with acrylic. You'll never look back.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
You'll never look back.
Well, you will, but only because they’re transparent, so you can. :biggrin:

:plus: for the suggestions for tinted acrylic though. It is nice to have the extra light and visibility in the cabin. Whether or not the float shouldn’t matter - they go from the companionway into storage in the cabin and back - no chance to find the water.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I found the image of my hatch boards. The boards and the beautiful inlay were a gift from my buddy, @LeslieTroyer .
They really dress up the old girl and bring a bit of family history to life.
1619461665213.jpeg