Motorized ball valves

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice alarm Ralph. I do not understand how that helps with the opening and closing of the motorized or manual valve in the OP's aft bunk.

Does he leave the valve always open? The alarm surely would wake the dead if there was no water flow.

The always open valve could corrode and fail filling the aft bunk with water without the engine and alarm ever uttering a sound.

Nice and neat install.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I did install a high water alarm like they use for basements in my bilge. Maine Sail’s advice 10 years ago. At least if the bilge begins to fill I’d be awakened out of a dead sleep!

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I do not understand how that helps with the opening and closing of the motorized or manual valve in the OP's aft bunk.
Don't rush me :doh: !

I only got as far as proving the motorized valve was OPEN and supplying cooling water before my wife's parrot started attacking me just for something to do. In this case the motorized valve would be installed downstream of the manual thru hull valve. The manual valve would remain open for the entire sailing season. Get fancy and wire the motorized valve into the starter switch.

Proving the motorized valve is CLOSED once the engine is shut down, still requires a means of proof. You're worried about a hose failing when away from the boat.

Without installing a whole bunch of other automatic safe guards, should his motorized valve fail open permanently, it looks like he'll be the same as 90% of all other boaters running around with their thru hull valves open year 'round, year after year.

If everyone else leaves their thru hull valves open, it can't be all that bad, can it ...............

1619385273760.png