Land Transport Recommendations? Chesapeake Bay to Lake Champlain VT

Apr 2, 2021
Cape Dory 36 Basin Harbor
First post! New to site. Our Cape Dory 36 is currently on the Rappahannock (mid Chesapeake Bay) and we need it transported to Lake Champlain (Vermont). We have had several land transport quotes ranging from $3300 to $6500. The lowest was Boat Transport Pros and they seem to have the best service/communication thus far. Has anyone used them or have opinions on other companies to look into? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Cape Dory 36 - nice boat. What condition is the boat in? How's the engine?

Of course I'm going to be a wise a$$ and say, if it's all in good shape, why not sail it up? Or find some folks that would sail it up for you? Hahahaha - It's probably cheaper to truck it up, certainly a lot faster... Maybe @Ward H would do it for you. Pay him $3000, less than your land transport will cost you, and see if he's interested.... (Ward, you can shoot me now if you'd like...)

Where are you putting the boat in Vermont, Burlington?

Champlain is a beautiful lake to sail.

OK, so honestly, I have no idea anything about the transport companies you're asking about, but good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

dj

• Ha

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
First post! New to site. Our Cape Dory 36 is currently on the Rappahannock (mid Chesapeake Bay) and we need it transported to Lake Champlain (Vermont). We have had several land transport quotes ranging from $3300 to $6500. The lowest was Boat Transport Pros and they seem to have the best service/communication thus far. Has anyone used them or have opinions on other companies to look into? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
We shipped a Cape Dory 28 from West Palm Beach to Shelburne Bay(VT), way back in the early 90's. The cost is irrelevant ($1400), but we were able to get a better deal waiting in storage for an empty return load.

It was the cheapest trip of 4, that old boat made the Bahamas to Vermont/New England.

Apr 2, 2021
Cape Dory 36 - nice boat. What condition is the boat in? How's the engine?

Of course I'm going to be a wise a$$ and say, if it's all in good shape, why not sail it up? Or find some folks that would sail it up for you? Hahahaha - It's probably cheaper to truck it up, certainly a lot faster... Maybe @Ward H would do it for you. Pay him $3000, less than your land transport will cost you, and see if he's interested.... (Ward, you can shoot me now if you'd like...)

Where are you putting the boat in Vermont, Burlington?

Champlain is a beautiful lake to sail.

OK, so honestly, I have no idea anything about the transport companies you're asking about, but good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

dj
Thanks, just interested in knowing about land transport right now. Boat is in good condition although it is fairly new to us and we don't have the time or other resources to prep her for voyage on the water. We'll be in the Charlotte/Addison area.

Apr 2, 2021
We shipped a Cape Dory 28 from West Palm Beach to Shelburne Bay(VT), way back in the early 90's. The cost is irrelevant ($1400), but we were able to get a better deal waiting in storage for an empty return load.

It was the cheapest trip of 4, that old boat made the Bahamas to Vermont/New England.
Thanks - we learned on a friend's 28 and fell in love with the Cape Dory design. Looking forward to one day taking her on blue water adventures. For now, need to get settled on the Lake.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Thanks, just interested in knowing about land transport right now. Boat is in good condition although it is fairly new to us and we don't have the time or other resources to prep her for voyage on the water. We'll be in the Charlotte/Addison area.
Southern part of the lake. Lots of nice secluded anchorages down there but it's pretty narrow down that way. You aren't too far from the big part of the lake though if you're putting the boat in Basin Harbor. Should be a nice starting location. What does that Cape Dory draw? Have you sailed Champlain before?

dj

p.s. Welcome to the Forum! (should have said that earlier).

Apr 2, 2021
Southern part of the lake. Lots of nice secluded anchorages down there but it's pretty narrow down that way. You aren't too far from the big part of the lake though if you're putting the boat in Basin Harbor. Should be a nice starting location. What does that Cape Dory draw? Have you sailed Champlain before?

dj

p.s. Welcome to the Forum! (should have said that earlier).
Draws about 5'. We shave sailed the lake for many years, from Plattsburgh and the Islands down as far as Westport. The majority of that has been on other people's boats.Where is snug harbor?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Draws about 5'. We shave sailed the lake for many years, from Plattsburgh and the Islands down as far as Westport. The majority of that has been on other people's boats.Where is snug harbor?
Right in front of Valcour Island on the New York side. 5' is nice. Gets you into some of the skinny waters that are on Champlain in places. I draw 6'. Gets a bit tough especially late in the season when the water levels tend to drop.

I likely won't be sailing on Champlain this summer. I plan to sail the coast of Maine, at least a bit.

dj

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Just for the sake of argument - which is what we do here - this is what the ocean trip would look like. You should be able to go 150 miles in 24 hours. Rappahannock to Liberty Landing Marina must be less than 250 miles. 2 days? Take a day off for rest and re-coop. Albany is about 160 miles from LLM. So let's say overnight stay in Poughkeepsee area (90 mi) (Shadows Marina). Poughkeepsie to Albany (70mi) (Lots of Marinas). Drop and secure mast in Albany. Albany to Wood Canal (Glens Falls) (Ft. Edward Yacht Basin) is about 1 day. A long day in the canal/ lower Lake Champlaign and you're in Burlington. Prolly stop in Westport (Westport Marine)?
Total trip around 700 miles.
Costs:
$800 to take mast down and put it back up. Rigging and tuning DYI
2 Nights at LLM @ $5.75/Ft. = $ 450. May to October rate. November to April $375.
1 Night at Shadows Marina @ $ 2.00/ft. = $ 76 (Maybe I'd push on after 1 night at LLM
1 Night at Albany marina @ ? Est. $125.
1 Night at Ft Edward Yacht Basin FREE! for 1 or 2 nights. Moorings available. Free Amenities!!!!!!!
1 Night at Westport $125.
Fuel: 3/4 gallon/hour X 117 hours = 40 gallons. Assuming motoring the whole 700 miles with no sail assist and making 6 mph.
Meals: 6 nights of meals. LLM (Take water Taxi to Manhatten $250. Poughkeepsie $100. Albany $100. Ft. Edward $75. Westport $75. 1 night aboard by provisioning. Add another $150 for provisions. Booze is intangible.
I get about $2,500 in expenses. Obviously it can be cheaper or more expensive.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Sorry, that posted before I was ready. I think the fuel estimate is way low. It's more like twice that.
At $2500 to $3000 that land trip might not look too expensive. But it would sure be an adventure.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
I get about $2,500 in expenses. Obviously it can be cheaper or more expensive.
I think your cost is pretty close to spot on - timing might be a bit more off. Only because you can't account for weather. You've also got the time up-front of getting the boat set for the trip. Personally, I'd probably want a week for that assuming as the OP said the boat is in good shape.

dj

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Sorry, that posted before I was ready. I think the fuel estimate is way low. It's more like twice that.
At $2500 to $3000 that land trip might not look too expensive. But it would sure be an adventure.
Just an observation - almost always the land trip actually turns out to be either cheaper or darned close. And if you include your time spent as an expense, not even close! But - you don't get the adventure! LOL

dj

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
My last trip was supposed to be 6 days. We were on day 10 when I had to get off the boat. I'd always want extra time built in.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
@shemandr I just realized that you are in Greenport NY? I need to find a mooring or marina out there for my Belliure. Can I get any suggestions from you?

dj

p.s. probably should take this to another thread, mind if I PM you?

Apr 2, 2021
Right in front of Valcour Island on the New York side. 5' is nice. Gets you into some of the skinny waters that are on Champlain in places. I draw 6'. Gets a bit tough especially late in the season when the water levels tend to drop.

I likely won't be sailing on Champlain this summer. I plan to sail the coast of Maine, at least a bit.

dj
Ok, we were only sailing in that area briefly. Hoping to do Valcour this year, most likely very late season. We are dreaming of sailing the Maine coast, although I have nerves about fog, anchors that won't release, etc. Need more mileage first. Will you sail from here to there?

Apr 2, 2021
It would be an adventure. Just not one we can do right now, for many reasons I won't get into here. Thanks for thinking it through.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
@shemandr I just realized that you are in Greenport NY? I need to find a mooring or marina out there for my Belliure. Can I get any suggestions from you?

dj

p.s. probably should take this to another thread, mind if I PM you?
You can PM me. I don't live in G-port any longer but I know the marina's there and the mooring areas.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
You can PM me. I don't live in G-port any longer but I know the marina's there and the mooring areas.
Just PM'd you (before I read this...)

dj

ebsail

Nov 28, 2010
O day 25 Nyack. New York
you can eliminate the nast up/down since that's the same by water or truck