Land Transport Recommendations? Chesapeake Bay to Lake Champlain VT

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Ok, we were only sailing in that area briefly. Hoping to do Valcour this year, most likely very late season. We are dreaming of sailing the Maine coast, although I have nerves about fog, anchors that won't release, etc. Need more mileage first. Will you sail from here to there?
I just bought a boat out on the North fork of Long Island. I figured since I'm already that close and the coast of Maine has always been on my bucket list figured just go there now. It's really all a work in progress. Too many variables in play to have concrete plans in place yet but I'm working on that.

As I understand it depends on where and when fog is a big concern. I guess getting good with radar is a desirable tool to have down.

dj

May 12, 2020
Catalina 275 Sport 31 Quincy Bay
First post! New to site. Our Cape Dory 36 is currently on the Rappahannock (mid Chesapeake Bay) and we need it transported to Lake Champlain (Vermont). We have had several land transport quotes ranging from $3300 to $6500. The lowest was Boat Transport Pros and they seem to have the best service/communication thus far. Has anyone used them or have opinions on other companies to look into? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
I just had a boat transported from NC to MA and used Sailors Moving Sailors. It’s basically one guy and he transports one boat a week but does a great job. He treats the boat like it’s his own. Here’s a link to his website: Sailboat Transports

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
...As I understand it depends on where and when fog is a big concern. I guess getting good with radar is a desirable tool to have down...dj
Fog is a concern in New England. I think it's worst in the early season when the warm moist air arrives in NE and the water is still cold - it doesn't really get warm in NE the more North/East you go. But in Southern NE water temps do get into the 70's and the fog is less as the season warms up.
Getting good with radar is definitely desirable. Getting really good with radar is better.:)