Larger wheel?

JAE

Feb 15, 2021
Catalina 31 38 GIG HARBOR
Hi all has anybody changed the 310 wheel with a lager one? I get that it impedes cockpit movements however there are folding models available to minimize that.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
We have a 42inch wheel. It gives fingertip steering while sitting on the high side. I’ve looked at the folding wheel but they cost about 1/2 of a new main sail. The wheel is somewhat awkward to get around.
A88EE3F0-9C4C-43A5-9CCA-779DA8CDBA7D.jpeg

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
The folding wheel will give you good access around the cockpit WHEN folded. It may inpeed travel to and from the helm while “open” having said that, we purchased a Catalina 350 last summer and bought a folding Lwemar 40” vs 36” that was in place when we purchased the boat, I bought my Lewmar online for less than $800 with free returns. Try it and return it if your not happy or visit a local ship store and ask if you can “try one on for size” Why not? We try on shoes right? Of course its only half the increase in size side to side when going with a larger wheel but it may be enough to force a “detour” off the cockpit floor and that can be dangerous. The extra 2” allows me to sit comfortably and still reach the wheel.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
If your purpose is to minimize effort exerted in steering, a larger wheel might make a small difference but the same purpose can be served by minimizing friction in the steering gear which you might want to do first

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
A larger wheel will also slow down the responsiveness of steering inputs. Some think they look really cool.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
You got me thinking. Now the pain has subsided I wonder if 2 or 3 strategically placed (folding/clamp on ?) spokes might be a good solution.
Inexpensive, out the way when not wanted, versatile.

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
You got me thinking. Now the pain has subsided I wonder if 2 or 3 strategically placed (folding/clamp on ?) spokes might be a good solution.
So you are not a fan of a folding wheel?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
So you are not a fan of a folding wheel?
We got rid of those on our boat because it was annoying getting constantly stabbed in the side when walking past it. Lexmark makes a spindle which fits on the side rail which I use sometimes to put the wheel and get it out of the way entirely.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I got this for Christmas, haven't tried it yet but it came recommend by other 310 owners.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I got this for Christmas, haven't tried it yet but it came recommend by other 310 owners.

I have one and like using it. Or at least I did until last season when I fancied up the wheel and wrapped it in paracord. I didn’t miss it so now it’s in the to be sold pile.
it was great on those lighter wind days when you wanted to kick back in the perch seat and still steer by hand.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
If one sets the sail correctly less force would need to be applied to the rudder.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Spokes on the wheel are great most of the time, but when backing down, they can be dangerous if the wheel starts spinning due to the pressure exerted on the rudder. I had wondered why all the spokes on the wooden wheel of the work boat I was crew on, had been cut off. When I was backing down one day, the wheel started spinning like crazy, and I would have broken a hand when I grabbed the wheel to stop it, if the spokes were still in place.