Covid-19 Vaccination

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Not me, never!

Why?
I think we had it,...

I have never had any type of Influenza in my life, with the exception of my High School Football coach made the entire team take a Flu shot. I was sick for 4 days, after that shot, and arm was swollen in shot area.

Jim and Sue...
Really - a single event from 40+ years ago is going to influence a decision now? If you got sick back then it probably means your immune system was working overtime and you felt like c^%p because of that. I'd at least get the anti-body test to see if you have it. Your call of course and I respect that decision but to quote 007, "never say never again." If enough people decide to not get the vaccine and don't have the anti-bodies present in sufficient numbers we'll never (see I said it) get to "herd immunity." You didn't die with the flue and at your age back then it was highly unlikey you would have. However, unless you are a young buck things are different now than when you were 17 years old and the consequences of developing serious complications or death are a lot different with COVID.

The argument you're using is one used by the "aniti-vaccination" crowd that refused to get measels shots for their kids then complained when their kid got measels and that has led to a resurgence in cases in certain areas of the country. I absolutely respect their decision to make their own choice but if enough don't take the vaccine herd immunity will be a long time coming with a lot more deaths.

By the way, I've been told if you give blood, they will test your blood for COVID antibodies as part of the process so a generous act might give you some assuranc you actually had it. Just what I've been told, not an absolute fact.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Bummer.......the county just cancelled vacinnations for my wife and I who are 70 years old and in Phase 2A (65+ years old group) on Feb 1 to make vaccinations available for Phase 1A folks (front line workers and 75+ years old) and said to call back on Feb 5.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
How’s this for context - NY placed 6000 Covid patients in ALFs. It’s a friggin miracle there weren’t more deaths.
Yep, and the ICUs in NYC were full. Hospital beds were scarce, and if you had an accident or a heart attack, or some other acute illness you were screwed because even if it was a survivable event, the strain on the health care system was so great, care for non-covid patients suffered.

In March 2020 I was scheduled for elective outpatient surgery (cataracts) that was cancelled because of Covid. If anything occurred that would require hospitalization, a bed might not have been available.

In the early days in NY there were few good choices and since NY was at the fore front of the pandemic there was much that was not known. New Yorkers sucked it up and did what we needed to do. By May we had beaten the virus back and wondered why other states had not taken the necessary precautions.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
Yep, and the ICUs in NYC were full. Hospital beds were scarce, and if you had an accident or a heart attack, or some other acute illness you were screwed because even if it was a survivable event, the strain on the health care system was so great, care for non-covid patients suffered.
I seem to recall there was a hospital ship specifically for covid patients that sat empty because Cumo didn't like that mean guy who sent it. Trust government...nope.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
a sensationalization and dubious at best at least in their "headlines"
I did not say they were a trusted resource. I said they were from accepted liberal news sources that have wide acceptance by the present cultural leadership. In todays environ it is difficult to identify a news source that you can say is not sensationalistic or dubious in their headlines or reporting. That being said the statement that "ZERO" deaths is also suspect.

I said a year ago when Washington State was experiencing strange sickness and death in nursing homes the this would be a paradigm shift in our country.

I believe this virus is acting differently than viruses we have experienced over the last 300 years.

I guess we should begin to consider what to do about the those who wish to choose not to get a vaccine shot. Should we out them and cause them to live outside of our cities.Erase their existence? Identify them as heretics? Deniers? Or are they simply exploring the alternate science that questions the theories of genetic modified vaccines?

There was a time that science said give pregnant women thalidomide for nausea it will improve their lives and make their pregnancy safer. It took 50 years to identify why this seemingly simple solution to morning sickness caused baby to be born with malformations of their limbs.

I survived those years - the 50's. While it has not caused me to avoid vaccinations, heck during my induction physical I received a battery of injections. Felt like a pin cushion getting stabbed in both arms. Yellow fever... you name it. I survived.

That does not mean I believe we should immediately submit to mass inoculation of drugs that require the manufacturer to be absolved of all issues that may develop over time from the drug. Who knows the most about the science of what is included in the concoction. Have all of the scientists self administered themselves and their families?

My part of the tread started because one statement said ZERO DEATHS from the vaccine.

I am not sure that is fact.

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
New York was not alone in their challenges dealing with COVID. Washington State had a rash of deaths in Nursing Homes. When traveling nurses wanted to be tested for covid they were told it was not possible and to continue to serve the patients they were charged to serve. They did. They traveled from nursing home to nursing home in their duties. More patients became infected.

February through April were challenging times. They were the times that Dr Fauci reported the masking was not needed here in the US. They were the time the news reports identified China a likely source. They were the times that Chinese traders were traveling to Italy specifically Northern Italy to trade in leather goods. Not very much time elapsed and Italy was identified as a hot bed of Covid infestation in Europe.

I know all of this is considered wild coincidence.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.” – Mark Twain
I am personally acquainted with hundreds of journalists, and the opinion of the majority of them would not be worth tuppence in private, but when they speak in print it is the newspaper that is talking (the pygmy scribe is not visible) and then their utterances shake the community like the thunders of prophecy.​
- "License of the Press," speech, 31 March 1873 – Mark Twain

JamesG161

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I respect that decision but to quote 007, "never say never again." If enough people decide to not get the vaccine and don't have the anti-bodies present in sufficient numbers we'll never (see I said it) get to "herd immunity."
If Sue, the Admiral, got it, then I got it. [ which includes our HERD group]
Sue is interested in the Anti-Body test, so we shall see.

By the way..
If you read the link in Antibodies above, you will understand more on how All Antibodies are made and do morphing too.
So even mutations will be close to any new strains.

Thus Herd immunity will be achieved faster, with those of us that have it natural immunity , or those injected with the Antibodies now.
Jim and Sue..

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Nothing unique. Hospital beds were occupied fully in most big cities and many entire states. Some still are.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Thus Herd immunity will be achieved faster, with those of us that have it natural immunity , or those injected with the Antibodies now.
Jim and Sue..
I don't disagree at all. Its just that we don't want to infect people to get the immunity from having had COVID since the consequences of not being able to battle it could be fatal. Sweden initially went the route of "let it go" and did not invoke strict controls. Not sure if they are on the same strategy now though.

I is interesting to use the following data link:
IHME | COVID-19 Projections
Use the "compare" function just to the right of the "trend" button to put thing into perspective
I have been following this for months
The compare function normalizes the data to total deaths per 100,000.
Comparing Sweden and America it shows we are pretty much on the same path with comparable deaths per 100,000 now. Their numbers prior to August were above our deaths/100K. Seems we are all approaching the a comparable number Now why is that? Now look at Italy, the UK etc. Makes you think doesn't it? Compare and draw your own conclusions.

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
My wife and I are planning on taking the vaccine when available. We’re 73 and in next group in TN. We both had COVID beginning around Jan 1. I had it first, then she got it about 4 days later. 6 days after we both had what we thought was a sinus infection with no fever but some coughing, we took my wife to the Dr. to get our standard winter sinus infection meds. I was felling much better, so decided to not see the Doc. While I waited in the car, she went in for treatment and 2 hours later tested positive for COVID. I then was called in, tested and was positive. We had strange metallic taste for a couple of days and she lost her taste. She had a little more severe case than mine. We were very lucky to have mild cases and now have 6 months immunity from natural antibodies.
Have had several friends very sick and a few die from it. The vaccine is supposed to make you have a mild case if you get exposed and contract it, not requiring hospitalization and will theoretically keep you alive. If you get it and the vaccine limits your illness to what we got, then you will be glad to have the vaccine - and COVID.
The sad part of all this is the misinformation out there about this. We didn’t have any idea our symptoms were COVID, but they are the common ones, head congestion, some coughing, fatigue, lack of appetite, some brain fog. Lasts about 10 days. We stayed home for 14, then went back and got cleared by our Dr. We’re glad to be on this side of the curve now with no lingering effects. At this point our masks are for show as we aren’t contagios and can’t get it (theoretically).
I think based on our experience, that many more people have had it than have been reported - just didn’t know they had it. Quite a few I know have had our level of infection.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I seem to recall there was a hospital ship specifically for covid patients that sat empty because Cumo didn't like that mean guy who sent it. Trust government...nope.
This is only partially correct. The Comfort was sent to NYC (and the Mercy to LA?) to assist with the shortage of hospital beds in the City. However, the Comfort was not allowed to accept Covid patients, it could only accept other patients.

By the time the Comfort had arrived in NYC the Javitts Center had been turned into a field hospital to treat Covid patients. Eventually the Comfort was allowed to accept recovering Covid patients. See below. The NY Post is not generally considered to be part of the liberal media and it is their reporting I"m including along with a detailed report from Snopes, a well regarded fact checking organization.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
JUST A HEADS UP. When I clicked on this link, Bitdefender blocked my access and let me know the site was a threat (can't remember the specifics).

@Phil Herring, in case it matters
Not sure what Bitdefender is but do what you think best in terms of "safe sites" It is the data site for out in Washington as below:
The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) is an independent global health research center at the University of Washington. It is the site that is most often cited for global infections, deaths, etc. When you hear "projected deaths of XYZ by April 1st" reported it is almost always taken from this site. It is the one that the COVID Task force and Dr. Fauci normally refer back to for that kind of projections.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
In Baltimore I have signed me and Admiral up with state,county websites and 3 different hospitals. Havent been able to yet get on any pharmacy or grocery store lists yet. All text message and email replies are basically , we got your sign up,dont call us we will call you. We are 1 c , over 65 , no other items to speed us up. Started about 10 days ago, havent heard from anyone yet. If anyone in Md. has been succesfull, some wisdom would be appreciated.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Most the 58 counties in California, like the one I livie in, are resticting vaccinations for 75+ year olds. But just learned the county has offered to vaccinate 65+ year olds in my 231 home 55+ community on February 24th. So we are staying home until we get the first shot, then go camping for a month and either return for the second shot OR try to get it where we are camping.

Last edited: