Need Sailboat Trailer

Jan 19, 2021
PearsonTriton and Ericson Triton 28 and Ericson 29 Willamette River
I purchased an Ericson 29' in Waukegan IL and I need to tow it to Portland OR. I need to buy or rent a sailboat trailer which will tow a 30' boat and 10K. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the and congratulations on your new sailboat!! Attached is a pdf on sizing a trailer for your new sailboat. Some options:

1611151599600.png

1. Buy a new trailer designed for your sailboat from Loadrite (nearest dealer is in Cincinnati, Ohio: Sailboat | Load Rite Trailers

2. Buy a used trailer and have a local trailer shop modify it for your boat like the RC4WD BigDog 1/10 Triple Axle Scale Boat Trailer for $330 from this site. RC4WD BigDog 1/10 Triple Axle Scale Boat Trailer 639302589939 | eBay

3. Buy a salvage sailboat and trailer.

Attachments

Jan 19, 2021
Thanks for the ideas! I'll explore those options.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
This is a big deal, but towing yourself will probably pay for the trailer vs hiring it out for that distance. Have you looked into width restrictions and found a good route? Do you have a truck strong enough to tow the distance?

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I purchased an Ericson 29' in Waukegan IL and I need to tow it to Portland OR. I need to buy or rent a sailboat trailer which will tow a 30' boat and 10K. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks
As an alternative have you priced what a professional boat moving company would charge?

Jan 19, 2021
I have a vehicle capable of towing her. I have not looked into the width restrictions. Her beam is 10'. The cheapest bid Ive received is $9500 from Chicago to Portland

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I have a vehicle capable of towing her. I have not looked into the width restrictions. Her beam is 10'. The cheapest bid Ive received is $9500 from Chicago to Portland
So overall width is probably going to exceed normal allowances. $9500 doesn't include you having to be on the other end to receive it either. You could probably add quite a bit more cost to hiring it out. A good argument for moving it yourself.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
Don't know if this is adequate for your boat..

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
There are services that will do all your permitting for you. It's probably worth a look.

Feb 21, 2013
Some companies that can prepare the permits are:

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
So overall width is probably going to exceed normal allowances. $9500 doesn't include you having to be on the other end to receive it either. You could probably add quite a bit more cost to hiring it out. A good argument for moving it yourself.
Well I’m not so sure towing it yourself would be less expensive. Here is my logic:

Have to buy the trailer - cost ? But that’s a BIG boat so I wouldn’t do it with anything but a triaxle trailer. Blow a tire on a dual and you are likely in the ditch or worse!

Have to drive from Portland to Chicago and return so fuel, lodging, food etc for several days and 4000- 5000 miles depending on where you pick up the trailer - cost ?

298B7A45-2EAB-4659-82F7-0CE849B14E48.jpeg

Towing a big sailboat trailer that’s top heavy is not a trivial undertaking let alone through mountain passes.

Just ask @Meriachee :)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I was figuring in that the OP, like me, needs to have trailer anyway to do haulouts. But you are right, like a said previously, "This is a big deal, ".

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I was figuring in that the OP, like me, needs to have trailer anyway to do haulouts. But you are right, like a said previously, "This is a big deal, ".
That is an issue that I hadn’t considered in my math :)

Feb 21, 2013
You can purchase a tri axle trailer from the listing I posted above relatively cheap then modify it to fit your boat using the dimensional guide I attached above.

I have a 2026 diesel dually with tow package including exhaust brake I use to tow a 16,000 lb 42 ft fifth wheel trailer and consider that a safe tow vehicle for towing that sailboat. You can also find tow services with a truck like mine.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
It doesn't apply to everyone. It was one of the requirements in choosing our next boat. It's amazing how many nice boats do not have a trailer
Most all of the big boats where I am spend the winter on the hard on a cradle. The cradles are typically stored at the marina during the actual sailing season.

Apr 5, 2018
Catalina Capri 25 Jackson
Most all of the big boats where I am spend the winter on the hard on a cradle. The cradles are typically stored at the marina during the actual sailing season.
If it had a cradle, you could always buy a bare 14k trailer frame and weld the cradle to it. depending on boat weight, a dual 7k axle trailer might suffice, as long as its not a deck over, then its too tall.

If you have the right tow vehicle and you have sufficient towing experience, even if you buy and outfit a trailer for 8k in chicago, when you get to portland, you still have a trailer. can sell it or keep it or whatever. though i bet you can buy a sufficient boat trailer around Chicago to haul this for a reasonable price.

also, you might be able to rent a trailer for this from a private individual that owns one in portland, and round trip it. Maybe spend $500-1000 to rent it? post up on craigslist/FB or ask the marina yard?

for a $9500 quote...i wouldn't think twice about hauling this myself w/ my 3/4 ton diesel. Lodging...sleep on the boat in a truck stop or something. Cooking, use a 2 burner coleman stove, itll be like camping lol. Have a good job? take vacation time and get paid to haul your boat.

Jan 19, 2021
Thanks for the ideas! I'm going to look into trying to tent a trailer for the job. It's definitely a serious undertaking but i think I can handle it!