Need Sailboat Trailer

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Think i can is, in my considered opinion, not good enough to get across the Rockies. Not to sound condescending in any way shape or form, 6 or 7 percent grades can cause grief faster than anything.
I warped a rotor on the old truck, 1/2 mile into the drop into Denver. That kinda stuff is unsettling when you're staring at almost 800 miles.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Yep......plus risk of instability and sway
That is where a diesel dually with 6+ speed transmission and exhaust brake are required.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Not to pile on to Meriachee’s post but I “thought” it would be a non event to mount my C&C 24 sailboat cradle on a heavy duty power boat trailer I picked up, towed by a 4 wheel drive vehicle with more than enough tow capacity. My use was very short hauls from the marina to where I stored the boat. A lot lighter load, flat roads at low speed and tiny distance than what you contemplating.

I spent many years working with heavy equipment so had/have lots of experience doing this type of thing.

Although it was “safe” it was NOT a pleasurable experience as the “load” is very high and subject to a lot of windage etc. - I felt like a “rookie” during the first trip.

Not commenting on your skill level or judgement :)

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I don't think it's as much the rig, or the terrain, although those play a huge part, but the gawkers who seem to think the best view is right in your blind spot for miles and miles.
I've always maintained that extra is better and oddly enough, I've heard lots of negativity about having three axles. It's not so much about blowing a tire, it's about blowing a bearing 100 miles from anywhere.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
............but the gawkers who seem to think the best view is right in your blind spot for miles and miles...............I've always maintained that extra is better and oddly enough, I've heard lots of negativity about having three axles...........
The OP can install side and rear camera to the trailer that would give him full visibility. i have these on my fifth wheel trailer, which provides a view of lanes on each side and 3 lanes behind. Never heard of an issue with 3 axles........but have towed 41' fifth wheel trailer and 21' ski boat on two axles without an issue so long as the bearings are greased BEFORE the trip and you run top quality tires like Saliun Radial tire ST235/80R16G (14 ply), which is what I run on my trailer.