Looking for a Seaward 24

Dec 30, 2020
seaward 24 alexandria va
Hello! I’m looking for a trailerable sailboat with camping / get kids out of the sun capability for use in shallow water on the Potomac river - and all signs are pointing to the Seaward 24. Does anyone have or know of one for sale? And, I plan to tow it with an SUV with a 5000 lb. towing rating. I’m looking for advice and opinions on whether that’s enough of a tow vehicle. Many thanks!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!! Good pocket cruiser choice!!

Unfortunately Yacht World and Boat Trader did not show any for sale. Below are some listings. You might also check with your local boat broker and see if they can search for one close to you.

Jul 30, 2019
Seaward 25 777 Fort St. James
As to the tow vehicle, you would almost certainly be 1000lbs above your vehicle's limit towing an S24.

Add to that the unfortunate fact that vehicle manufacturers tend to be overoptimistic in rating towing ability, for obvious commercial reasons. My rule of thumb is that your tow vehicle should weigh close to the weight of what you are towing, so that the trailer does not take control of the situation when the post-digestive waste product hits the rotatory distributive device.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Can't help in your search, but don't believe published weight for these boats. We have a Seaward 25 (basically the same size as the 24). Weight of boat and trailer set up for a cruise is 6000-6500 lbs. I tow ours with an Expedition.

The 23 would be closer to your vehicle's towing rating.

Jul 30, 2019
The S24/S25 is a big boat to tow any distance. I tow with a diesel GMC dual rear-wheel one ton, which definitely knows it has something behind it. Caution is always necessary when towing this much weight, and your margin of safety will always increase with a heavier tow vehicle.

Look at this picture and tell me that the truck looks unnecessarily large for the boat!

20200520_141448_resized.jpg

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
The problem is that it's a gmc. My expedition doesn't even know it's back there :biggrin:. Actually, kinda jealous of that truck. Always wanted a 3/4 ton gmc diesel.

Attachments

Jul 30, 2019
The problem is that it's a gmc. My expedition doesn't even know it's back there :biggrin:. Actually, kinda jealous of that truck. Always wanted a 3/4 ton gmc diesel.
A nice setup, with the horsepower and weight you need. I am sure you wouldn't want anything less though.

I was going to ignore the GMC dig, but cannot resist saying that I'll bet I get better mileage out of the Duramax, towing or not!

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
I was going to ignore the GMC dig, but cannot resist saying that I'll bet I get better mileage out of the Duramax, towing or not!
No doubt. We named that vehicle "The Pig". It has been known to get 20 mpg on the highway with nothing in tow. Drops pretty quick to 11-13 with that boat back there. Our other car is a Sonata hybrid, so we're going for fleet mileage between the 2.

Jul 30, 2019
I know that I am going to get laughed at for my ignorance, but what is this?

20210105_071237.jpg

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Ha ha, nice catch. I have 2 solar panels on the boat. There is a 100 watt that installs on rails over the sliding hatch over the companionway. We remove that one when trailering. There is also another 60 watt panel cantilevered from the stern rail (the one in the pic you zoomed in on). The pvc support is only put on temporarily when trailering, to give it a little more support. This way, I can keep the house bank up when we tow it as I added refrigeration, and we usually have the fridge box loaded up with cold stuff for the trip. It pivots to get it out of the way when raising or storing the bimini. PIc below shows both in use.

IMG_20160509_181715042.jpg

Jul 30, 2019
Thanks sesmith. Looks like a good setup. I shall have to try something of the sort next season.

Back to the OP:
It's a little early in the season for many listings, and what there is appears very expensive or lacking a trailer or both. But there is this 1989 Seaward 23, which is so cheap that you could buy a trailer for it and still have an inexpensive quality boat. Looks very similar to the 24/25, but apparently with a centerboard. In Massachusetts.

Edit: I see it comes with a trailer! Looks like a great deal.

Second edit: Confusingly, although this has the 3 portholes per side of the S23, I read at Sailboatdata that it should be a fixed shoal keel, and that it is the S24 that has a centerboard. Maybe this IS an S24, or some kind of hybrid? Maybe someone could comment on this.

20210106_120153.jpg

Last edited:

WHJ

Jun 27, 2021
Seaward S-23 Saugatuck, MI
This post has been deleted. Please review the rule about posting for sale items. Next offense will result in a ban.
SBO Police Bot

WHJ

Jun 27, 2021
Seaward S-23 Saugatuck, MI
My Seaward S-23 with inboard, wheel steering and fully loaded for towing weighed 4,500lbs at a certified scale. I tow it with a 5,000lbs tow rated SUV. The larger models will need a larger tow vehicle.

Attachments

Jul 30, 2019
It is our farm truck, so not bought to tow the Seaward. But honestly I would not wish to tow anything so top heavy and ungainly as a 25' sailboat with anything less. The truck weighs more than boat and trailer, and has the power and the brakes, suspension and transmission to tow, as you say for your F350, 17,000lbs. I am afraid that I think it is irresponsible of manufacturers to put the ridiculous tow ratings on light SUVs and pickups that they so often do.