C310 main sheet to helm position?

Grip

Dec 2, 2020
Catalina Catalina 30 Portland, Maine
Hey hey. Is it possible to run the main sheet to the helm position? Perhaps some sort of German rig and clutches, so the main could be handled with the existing jib winches from either side?

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I wrap the main sheet to the aft cleats

Grip

Dec 2, 2020
Thanks! Is it easy enough to haul in the main under load without the winch though?

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Is your Catalina a C310? If so, it is difficult to bring the mainsheet to the helm, since the sheet is led to the cabin top. There are some threads on this forum that deal with installation of modified jam cleats at the main sheet clutch, since the factory installed jam cleat does not work very well.
I tend to rely on the AP to work the helm while I trim the main, if there is no crew available.

Grip

Dec 2, 2020
Currently have a C30, and I also resort to using the AP and climb over everyone to get to the main sheet & traveler. I’d like a setup where I can control at least all the sheets from the helm.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I tend to rely on the AP to work the helm while I trim the main,
I’d like a setup where I can control at least all the sheets from the helm.
Don't be a slave behind the wheel.
And, using the traveler instead of the mainsheet makes more sense, is easier and one can recover the boom position much more easily with the traveler without changing the sail shape when going upwind.

Grip

Dec 2, 2020
Yup I totally understand, and that’s how I run it when its just me an a sturdy friend out for fun. But when my family is out its really not ideal.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Thanks! Is it easy enough to haul in the main under load without the winch though?
Yes. I have c36. I place one wrap of main sheet on the winch on the cabin top, then cleat it on the port cleat. To trim the sail, I pull the sheet sideways in the middle of the line, like a guitar string, then adjust the cleat knot. I do this several times to trim. The wrap on the winch keeps the line from going back.
I can ease the sail by releasing the cleat knot and retying.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
Consider leading traveler controls aft of the wheel. The traveler has 4:1 purchase so you can handle it without a winch, and provides quicker response if you need to dump the main when single handing in a gust than the main sheet. This is how I did it on the 310, you could likely do something similar on your boat.
IMG_2808.JPG
IMG_2810.JPG
IMG_2811.JPG
IMG_2808.JPGIMG_2810.JPGIMG_2811.JPGIMG_2808.JPGIMG_2810.JPGIMG_2811.JPG

Grip

Dec 2, 2020
That’s pretty slick with decent clearance outside of the seat backs! I assume you have the same running down the other side?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
climb over everyone to get to the main sheet & traveler.
Sailing solo, I use the AP as a helper.

Sailing with people in the boat, I say "Hey. Grab the sheet and give it a yank". When I hear, "but I do not know how". Now is the time to learn. If I fall overboard what are you going to do? This is not a Love Boat Cruise. We are sailing and we all are sailors.

Perhaps that is why I sail solo... Who knew?

Grip

Dec 2, 2020
My 2 year old is not a sailor (yet). If I want to get the family out on the water, that means my wife managing the kids, and me managing the boat. I have auto pilot and know how to use it. But I find it frustrating to and inelegant to rely on the AP just to tack or adjust trim, which we do a lot sailing around islands here in Maine.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Having a young family aboard is a blessing and does require an accommodation.

Perhaps the extension of the traveler lines will aid you. Be careful. Adding lines can become an issue. Avoid tripping hazards and use good blocks to reduce line friction.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My boat had a single-line traveller setup, so any time I wanted to adjust, I had to got up and lean over the companionway. I did not really like the setup, whether I was sailing solo, or with crew.

i replaced that single line with port and starboard lines, long enough that I can reach them from behind the helm...
If I have crew, the lines sometimes get in their faces when I am trying to adjust, but I just ask them to h
lean forwards or backwards depending on where the line is (generally laying on the combing behind them).
Way easier than trying to climb over everyone to get to the traveller.

Greg

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Another option for single handling, although I do like Valcours set up as that is pretty slick. If we are racing the mainsheet goes on the starboard winch and the traveler lines are both led to the port side (thanks to Guido at Garhauer for that slick update).

The jam cleat was original and provides strength, the cam cleat provides ease of use in light winds where a manly snap of the wrist will free it and I drape it over the throttle handle at the helm for easy reach.

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
The video shows one installed. I will be doing the same to my 310. Starboard through bolting involves removing the water heater. Being slender and flexible helps.