Windlass for a Hunter 380

tb_gb

Jul 26, 2019
Hunter 380 Daytona Beach, Fl
I have a 1999 Hunter 380 that did not come with a windlass. I am at an age now that I do need one. I do not believe the original one is still being made and regardless, I am sure there have been technical advances in 21 years. It jus had to fit the "platform" in the anchor locker that I have. Can I please a suggestion as to the best one for my boat?
Thank you

Tom

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I am at an age now that I do need one.
It's all in your mind. That's why my neurosurgeon said I was out of my mind if I kept hauling up something as heavy as an anchor. And that was about seven years ago.

I do not believe the original one is still being made
There was never a windlass made for the Hunter, you select one that fits. This is the one I installed back then. I suspect our anchor lockers are the same seeing as they are both 1999 vintage but even allowing for different lengths.

This is the windlass I installed.

Proper sizing is a major undertaking if using a Lewmar windlass due to their excessive layers of BS.

Working Load.jpg

Attachments

• Helpful
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice writeup. I also bought the Lewmar V3. It has proven to be a fine selection. With no "below a covered hatch" anchor locker (1973 boat with deep inside the boat locker) the install went rather easy. More time was spend running the cables through the boat than the cutting a hole in the deck and fitting the windlass.
DF945E67-57C8-46B0-A20E-4E8A40F0C9AD.jpeg

Jan 4, 2006
With no "below a covered hatch" anchor locker (1973 boat with deep inside the boat locker) the install went rather easy.
Does this mean your motor is mounted in a dry area ? I saw one windlass where the motor was mounted in the anchor locker (as shown in the Lewmar instructions) and it was a spherical ball of rust. Don't know how old or how it even ran, but not too impressive.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
We will see how it goes. Yes it is in a space inside the boat beneath the deck.

Jan 4, 2006
We will see how it goes
It should go way beyond both you and I. Combined even.

I've taken windlass section apart since install (just out of curiosity) and it looks as good as new, once the mud is off. We use it quite a lot. The motor section is pristine as it's in one of the driest places in the boat.

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
Our 2005 H38 came with a Quick 1000W 12V Windlass. Engine & gearbox is below deck. The only problem is the path from the windlass to the chain locker. When retrieving the chain shackles do not glide down freely into the locker and you have to "unclog" the chain by hand every 2 feet.