Can you identify this?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I wouldn’t think you can run it off battery. Shore power and engine yes but batteries would not be able to run a water heater.
:plus: I don't see any wires to support 12v input. Only the bk/red/grn of AC (shore power most likely). 12v coffee pots are made, but I suppose you want a showers-worth of hot water?

Jan 22, 2008
If it's no good is there a similar unit that I could replace it with?
Why don't you find out if it works before spending the beer money for a new one? If you go to all that effort, you might as well install a water tempering valve the regulates the tank output to keep hot water to a useable temperature and not scald you.:biggrin:

Oct 29, 2018
Hunter MH37 Mississauga
OK, what is it that I don't understand? I look at the picture in the original post and all I see is the front panel from a water heater. I don't see a water heater.

Am I looking at the emperor's new clothes?
Lol, very observant. That’s the end of this thread.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Why don't you find out if it works before spending the beer money for a new one? If you go to all that effort, you might as well install a water tempering valve the regulates the tank output to keep hot water to a useable temperature and not scald you.:biggrin:
Isn't that what the cold water faucet is for? If I were looking to ready a newly-acquired 40+ year old boat for a sea voyage, I doubt the HWH would be much of a priority for me, and maybe it is not for the OP either. But, a boat needs a lot of deck equipment for sea voyages. Good running rigging, spare winch handles, spare rope/line, second anchor w/ ground tackle, various rail mounts, snatch blocks, whisker pole, deck pad-eyes, jack lines, and etc.

Sep 27, 2020
Newport 27 Westport
Lol, very observant. That’s the end of this thread.
Unless I need to identify another item lol. That was quite and helpful. Thank you everyone! I now know that it is worth trying to save but that it is easy to get a new one if need be

Sep 27, 2020
Newport 27 Westport
Isn't that what the cold water faucet is for? If I were looking to ready a newly-acquired 40+ year old boat for a sea voyage, I doubt the HWH would be much of a priority for me, and maybe it is not for the OP either. But, a boat needs a lot of deck equipment for sea voyages. Good running rigging, spare winch handles, spare rope/line, second anchor w/ ground tackle, various rail mounts, snatch blocks, whisker pole, deck pad-eyes, jack lines, and etc.
True. Not a huge deal for me. I have other options for a shower. But still good info that will come in very handy.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
A true sponge (Tarpon Springs, FL) and some soap. A bucket of seawater to lather with using sponge; then sponge rinse w/a cup or two of fresh water maybe warmed at the stove or up on the deck. Don't need no hot water heater.;)

Sep 27, 2020
Newport 27 Westport
A true sponge (Tarpon Springs, FL) and some soap. A bucket of seawater to lather with using sponge; then sponge rinse w/a cup or two of fresh water maybe warmed at the stove or up on the deck. Don't need no hot water heater.;)
Yep. Or a solar shower. I spent about 7yrs homeless so wont be my 1st bucket shower

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I also do not see the water heater. It is definitely electric and unless the inside piping is rotted out, a new heater element is a very cheap fix. Get a pic of the back side.

Sep 27, 2020
Newport 27 Westport
I also do not see the water heater. It is definitely electric and unless the inside piping is rotted out, a new heater element is a very cheap fix. Get a pic of the back side.
I will asap. But not a great concern for me right now

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Don't underestimate the engine cooling system heating the water in the hot water heater. Mine used to stay hot for hours after running the engine. In practical terms this meant having hot water for a shower after arrival at a destination with a relatively short motor. And even hot water for doing the dishes. Whether the electric component of the system worked or not wasn't really a concern or cruise buster.
My water would stay warm for 24 hours after running the engine...that is the engine cooling water heating the water in the hot water tank.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
True, but as a liveaboard, it is another one of those things that just make life more pleasant.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
True, but as a liveaboard, it is another one of those things that just make life more pleasant.
Of course, but where in the line-up does one put this when outfitting? Many, if not most, liveaboard are at a marina either in a slip or on a mooring with access to shore-based showers, etc. And that is what they use. I think they use hot water for dish washing, which can be made pouring two cups of boiling water into the sink w/ some water already in it, etc. But for you, it might be a different situation. Folks living aboard at sea may also see it differently; but it is not a necessity for safe cruising whereas some other equipment might well be. I once asked a friend who is a sailmaker if I might need a riding sail out at the Channel Islands. His reply was "Do you have everything else you might need?" In other words--perhaps, if you have extra money (boat bucks) to throw away. Someone looking at "budget refit" by definition does not have extra money to throw away.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020
Newport 27 Westport
Definitely need to have it working. But not right now. More worried about the rigging and motor. The things needed to move the boat dangle, both for my safety and the safety of other boaters

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
The second point is an important one to consider: My experience with a water heater that operated on either a 120v heating element or by heat exchange with the engine is that the engine will get the water MUCH MUCH hotter than the heating element. So hot that you really could get scalded if you forget to adjust for it before sticking your hands under the faucet. If you ALWAYS heat by engine heat exchange, you'll probably get used to it and will adjust safely, but if you switch back and forth you might forget and be taken by surprise. So beware!

Jan 22, 2008
...the engine will get the water MUCH MUCH hotter than the heating element. So hot that you really could get scalded...
The engine can get to 180 degrees. For those who do not know, the "tempering valve" I suggested in post 22 will solve that problem. Fitted on the output of the water heater pipes, it has a thermostat to regulate the water temperature to your desired needs. Mine is set to 38C/104F, and other than a very short spurt of heat when the faucet is opened, it is just right for washing the human body. I also noticed on Sunday morning of an overnighter, the water is hotter, and there is more of it. I think mine was less than 100$, plus a couple of plumbing parts. The turn of a knob on the valve can change the output water temperature. By the way, I recently looked up the dishwasher temperature, and one article said 120 to 150, with 130 the more common reply.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Electric water heaters work by way of ohmic heating elements. The elements can be changed. They come in different voltages & different watt ratings. Higher watt ratings & lower voltages use more amps. I commonly see 110vac & 220vac elements. Most are 220vac. Most elements run around 20-25 amps, but some run around 10 or a little less. Volts times Amps equals watts. A low watt element will take a long time to heat up a tank of water, even a small one. Once the tank is hot, it takes a lot less energy to keep it hot, unless you are in a very cold environment. If you have a very big house bank & a big inverter, this might be a possibility. If you have a gen set, this is a possibility. If you are plugged into shore power, this is the preferred method.

The heat exchangers on diesel motors get hot faster & work very well to produce very hot water. They are my choice for a boat on the hook. My diesel runs at 190 degrees F. When you buy a water heater, the control on it is normally limited to 120F to avoid scalding. Ron's comments about temperature regulatioin would seem to indicate prudent choices.

The propane insta-hot units work well on land, but I have yet to see a good installation in a boat.

A boat I am considering buying has an electric water heater in it. If I buy that boat, I will likely tear out that heater & only use the heat exchanger, once the boat is off the hard. My boats normally live on the hook. I have better things to do with that much space.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2018
Pacific Seacraft 25 Sausalito Yacht Harbor, CA
Water heater. It is on a 69 cal 36 cruising. I was told it could be used off battery or use the engine to heat the water?

If it's no good is there a similar unit that I could replace it with?
NOooo your batteries will not support a water heater. The device you already have (using heat from the engine) should work really well, so if I were you, I would repair it and live having to start and run your engine for about five minutes to get hot water. One way or the other you need a source of heat. An electric hot water heater, including the better "on demand" systems are very efficient, but need AC and a lot of it. You could always use a solar hot water heater and a small DC pump. See: Complete Radiant Solar Panel Water Heating System

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
As others have implied, with a heat exchanging water heater, if you have any other reasons to run your engine daily anyway, even for less than an hour, then you will almost always have enough hot water without resorting to the electric heating element. Especially with stopping the shower water while you lather.