146 Mainsheet cam cleat

Jun 14, 2020
Hungter 146 Bordentown
Had my new to me 2005 146 on the water for two weeks now and I love it. A step up from my sunfish (which was a little two tender for one of my daughters and my wife) for sure.

Single handed is no problem on my lake but it’s more fun with my kids to handle the jib sheet (and be with me). Lots of playing left to do with the halyard, outhaul, boom vang to get the trim right but all in all, I couldn’t be happier for the price I paid. Lots of complements from the lake cottagers on the pretty boat.

My only real complaint is the upside down cam cleat for the mainsheet. It’s really counterintuitive to me not to be able to just snap the sheet up to release the cam. Hasn’t been an issue so far but when I was closely hauled and the gunwale was nearly wet, I kept the sheet unlocked so I could spill the wind of a sudden gust came up.

Anyone know if it’s possible to flip the cam cleat right side up?

Thanks.

Matt

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Had my new to me 2005 146 on the water for two weeks now and I love it. A step up from my sunfish (which was a little two tender for one of my daughters and my wife) for sure.

Single handed is no problem on my lake but it’s more fun with my kids to handle the jib sheet (and be with me). Lots of playing left to do with the halyard, outhaul, boom vang to get the trim right but all in all, I couldn’t be happier for the price I paid. Lots of complements from the lake cottagers on the pretty boat.

My only real complaint is the upside down cam cleat for the mainsheet. It’s really counterintuitive to me not to be able to just snap the sheet up to release the cam. Hasn’t been an issue so far but when I was closely hauled and the gunwale was nearly wet, I kept the sheet unlocked so I could spill the wind of a sudden gust came up.

Thanks.

Matt
I know how you feel as the cam on the 216 works the same. I just adjusted to it by learning to step on it to release :)

According to this older thread it can be done.

Note the link in thread doesn’t work anymore.

Jun 14, 2020
Hungter 146 Bordentown

Thanks.

Matt
I know how you feel as the cam on the 216 works the same. I just adjusted to it by learning to step on it to release :)

According to this older thread it can be done.

Note the link in thread doesn’t work anymore.

Thanks for the info. I think I will try flipping it. I’ll post a pic and any tips when I try it.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Attach a pendant to raise the tackle higher... that'll make it easier to operate. If you reverse then you'll have the opposite problem... i.e. it'll be inconvenient to snap in rather than release. So.... I suggest experimenting with the cleat's lead angle and the block assembly's height. There should be an adjustable cleat bracket to adjust the lead angle and adding a V shaped pendant to keep the blocks centered will do it. You can make it out of some 1/4" line and a couple of inexpensive stamped eye straps. I encourage you to be creative in your solutions.

If you want to spend some money.... this product will make your life easier. $131 at WM

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020
Hungter 146 Bordentown
Attach a pendant to raise the tackle higher... that'll make it easier to operate. If you reverse then you'll have the opposite problem... i.e. it'll be inconvenient to snap in rather than release. So.... I suggest experimenting with the cleat's lead angle and the block assembly's height. There should be an adjustable cleat bracket to adjust the lead angle and adding a V shaped pendant to keep the blocks centered will do it. You can make it out of some 1/4" line and a couple of inexpensive stamped eye straps. I encourage you to be creative in your solutions.

If you want to spend some money.... this product will make your life easier. $131 at WM
I like the Harken 205 option. I see you can get one without the cam cleat for $60. I will check if the current cleat can fit that 205 bracket.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Also check Ronstan, Antal, Lewmar, Garhaurer . search: "swiveling mainsheet cam cleat"

Garhaurer Marine $85 .
ronstan $65