Stepping the Mast on a 25.5 doable with a Ginpole and Stern Crotch ?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I will respond to the poster as he sent me a private message. If any have another system than what is found on the Hunter water ballast boats, can you please advise to cover all bases as I will advise on the water ballast system as I was involved with that.

Jul 23, 2020
Hunter 25.5 Broken Bow
I think your plan will work. You will need to devise a "gin" pole and a way to keep the mast from swaying side-to-side while raising (or lowering). The side-sway is usually controlled using "baby stays" which are temporary lines from someplace on the toe rail to a point about halfway between the deck and the spreaders. I have used ratchet straps for this purpose with very good results on a Balboa 26.

For the gin pole... you need a way to put the pole about 6" from the mast foot and then secure the base of the gin pole to the mast. I have see people cut a "Y" out of 1" boards and screw it to a 2"x4" and then using eye straps, tied the "Y" in place so it won't slip during a lift.

You then tie the jib halyard to the top of the gin pole. A lifting line then goes from the top of the gin pole to a strong block near the bow. Then lead this back to the cockpit winch.

View attachment 183370
By the way am fabbing a gin pole from aluminum 1 1/2" Sch 40 pipe as well which will clinch to mast with a bracket that wraps around the mast at base (or close to it), but is there a set height or percentage of mast height that Gin Pole should be or will about an 8' length work?

Jul 23, 2020
Hunter 25.5 Broken Bow
I will respond to the poster as he sent me a private message. If any have another system than what is found on the Hunter water ballast boats, can you please advise to cover all bases as I will advise on the water ballast system as I was involved with that.
Dave, not necessarily a private topic, just learning this website, thank you for the response. I have just posted a response to Ranger about what I am building at present. I was thinking that a rigid anti-sway system would be a good thing, just don't know if they are necessary?

Jul 23, 2020
Hunter 25.5 Broken Bow
I figure the more stable the better, as I have a shop that we fabricate items from SS and Aluminum regularly.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I think that will work. The dip in your bow pulpit is there to carry the mast so that tells me your boat was designed for exactly what you are trying to do.

Jul 23, 2020
Hunter 25.5 Broken Bow
I think your plan will work. You will need to devise a "gin" pole and a way to keep the mast from swaying side-to-side while raising (or lowering). The side-sway is usually controlled using "baby stays" which are temporary lines from someplace on the toe rail to a point about halfway between the deck and the spreaders. I have used ratchet straps for this purpose with very good results on a Balboa 26.

For the gin pole... you need a way to put the pole about 6" from the mast foot and then secure the base of the gin pole to the mast. I have see people cut a "Y" out of 1" boards and screw it to a 2"x4" and then using eye straps, tied the "Y" in place so it won't slip during a lift.

You then tie the jib halyard to the top of the gin pole. A lifting line then goes from the top of the gin pole to a strong block near the bow. Then lead this back to the cockpit winch.

View attachment 183370
By the way "Good Sketch" Ranger !

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I figure the more stable the better, as I have a shop that we fabricate items from SS and Aluminum regularly.
I like the idea of a rigid but... you will have to get the placement just right so the distance from the two attachment points does not change during the lift.

Jul 23, 2020
Hunter 25.5 Broken Bow
I think that will work. The dip in your bow pulpit is there to carry the mast so that tells me your boat was designed for exactly what you are trying to do.
Thanks Ranger, I have had a sailboat for about 35 yrs, but is a much smaller craft 14' Vagabond, works well, but am upgrading for wife is a little spooked with the smaller one, cuz it really zips along and gusts make it more difficult for her to relax.

Jul 23, 2020
Hunter 25.5 Broken Bow
Thanks Ranger, I have had a sailboat for about 35 yrs, but is a much smaller craft 14' Vagabond, works well, but am upgrading for wife is a little spooked with the smaller one, cuz it really zips along and gusts make it more difficult for her to relax.
Here she is "Vagabond 14" is in great shape and have done much with er, as in new and improved keel and rudder from Aluminum and SS !

Attachments

Jul 23, 2020
Hunter 25.5 Broken Bow
Thanks...

And it is r-granger :cool:
Apologies, Got R-Granger, didn't catch that handle, thought the RG meant something and Ranger maybe referred to maybe military type Ranger, as I am a Marine, Semper Fi ! Thanks for the help !

Jul 23, 2019
Hunter 18.5 Revelstoke
I like this idea, my gin pole and baby stays work great but add to the setup time. So far I’ve built a proto type but haven’t tested it yet because we are busy sailing, looks like rain tomorrow so maybe I will see how I like it

Jul 23, 2020
Hunter 25.5 Broken Bow
I like this idea, my gin pole and baby stays work great but add to the setup time. So far I’ve built a proto type but haven’t tested it yet because we are busy sailing, looks like rain tomorrow so maybe I will see how I like it
Thanks Rev

Aug 14, 2017
MacGregpr 25 Brookville
Here she is "Vagabond 14" is in great shape and have done much with er, as in new and improved keel and rudder from Aluminum and SS !
Hey there! I just got a new to me Vagabond 14 that needs a bit of love, and have a potentially silly question that perhaps you can help with. There are two holes in the stern. One is the self bailer, but what is the one on the left? Also, is it safe to assume that I would want to plug it so the hull doesn't fill with water? Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

Jul 23, 2020
Hunter 25.5 Broken Bow
It seems to be a hull drain as mine has a closable valve, so that if the hull has some permeation, you can drain it, cockpit drain is the center hole which will have a plug in it while sailing of course but will allow water to be released from cockpit deck area once removed from water.
IMG_20201018_153711189.jpg

Jul 23, 2020
Hunter 25.5 Broken Bow
Hey there! I just got a new to me Vagabond 14 that needs a bit of love, and have a potentially silly question that perhaps you can help with. There are two holes in the stern. One is the self bailer, but what is the one on the left? Also, is it safe to assume that I would want to plug it so the hull doesn't fill with water? Any advice is appreciated.
Hope the picture and response helped