Ceramic coatings anyone?

Mr Fox

Aug 31, 2017
Marshall 22 Portland, ME
Basically all the auto detailer’s worth their salt have long since stopped using conventional wax and use ceramic coatings.

I had this done on both our cars 2 years ago (one of which is 19 years old and is stored for the winter) the other is our family daily driver. Both are so shiny today it’s ridiculous. Bird dropping, sap, tree leaf stains all basically wipe off. These coatings stop uv and have unbelievable durability.

Aside from the added complexity of application, is there any reason this only seems to be adapted by the stink pots and not sailboats? (Stink pot = motorboat, and yes I own one of those too it’s a light hearted term my grandmother used).

I’m curious about an answer, maybe saltwater is an issue, but I doubt it, the roads here in Maine are way salter than the ocean when the brine trucks roll past...

Anyone have some insight?

Mr Fox

Aug 31, 2017
Marshall 22 Portland, ME
I’ve never done it myself so I am may have some of it wrong (there are DIY kits and I think professionals my use a slightly different process) but as far as I understand it it’s like so.

It’s a liquid polymer or quartz that actually bonds to the surface of the paint, it blocks UV and is impervious to alkaline based detergents. Typical life expectancy is 3 years.

Wash the paint, clay bar it to remove any dirt still adhered to the surface, wipe with a paint safe solvent to remove any residual oil or wax that would interfere with the coating adhering and apply in small areas. Then buff. It is more prep work than wax.

I’ve seen forum discussion about ceramic coatings on boats but they have all been very nice fiberglass ski boats on lakes.

Last edited:

Mr Fox

Aug 31, 2017
Marshall 22 Portland, ME
Well, I might just give it a try this season and be a guinea pig. I found one company that offers a 2 year warranty on their coatings for marine use, with a possible 5 year lifespan.

Also seems the coating is rather hydrophobic, maybe the boat will float a little higher... I’ll report back. Be nice to buff once every 3-4 years.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If you don't mind me asking, how much does it cost? That would seem to be a key factor.

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
I'm going to go with a hybrid ceramic type which is silica based..

i've been using it on my cars for a year as a test first. 3 initial coats has lasted the entire year so far and its ridiculously easy to apply. spray on and wipe off.. i'll do it 3-4 times on the hull before the boat gets splashed this year. assuming it will get splashed with the boat yard being closed now.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I had my new 41 ft fifth wheel and truck ceramic coated......nice result!!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Took a look at their website. It does not say what it is. Even the SDS is silent. It may be a great wonder product, however, if it contains silicone it will hard to remove and affect any repairs that might need to be made in the future.

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
Took a look at their website. It does not say what it is. Even the SDS is silent. It may be a great wonder product, however, if it contains silicone it will hard to remove and affect any repairs that might need to be made in the future.
Per their FAQ..
Our product is a Silica Dioxide based product not Silicon based.

Mr Fox

Aug 31, 2017
Marshall 22 Portland, ME
If you don't mind me asking, how much does it cost? That would seem to be a key factor.
Not at all! Sadly I don’t know exactly, as the detail guy I use charges by the hour, not for the product. It was about 3 times the cost of what he would charge for a wash and wax (which he does not recommend anymore). Most of the labor increase is in surface prep, to him it’s essential to start on the best, most shiny clean surface as possible as this is what shows and helps with proper adherence to the paint surface.

The ones that come with a warranty seem to require application by a licensed company or individual.

Some more info here- may have some bias built in.

Jul 5, 2009
Hake Yachts Seaward 26rk Merritt Island
I just had my Seaward 26rk detailed yesterday. Used new detailer (all american mobile detailing - they are in a bunch of states) for the first time so I did not want to go crazy with upsells until I see how they do on the basic job. But they recommend the ceramic coating. My basic detail was $15/foot (for under 30 ft boat) and the ceramic is $60/foot but lasts 2 years, so it should pay for itself. I talked to the head guy, John, at aamdetailing, and he told me they can refresh the ceramic once per year "for cost of a wax job" and then it keeps getting extended. My assigned detailer (an independent contractor) said the initial application would take him all day - until about 7pm (he started at 9am...). This is because of the extra prep work - buffing/compounding where needed. I was happy with the job they did, so my current plan is to give this a try at my next (Oct) detail.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
I’m curious to see how it lasts and if it stops oxidation. I’m skeptical about the oxidation aspect.I use the hybrid stuff on my cars and cockpit area of the boat. It works well but works best if the boat or vehicle has a base of wax. I detail my hull every year. I use a wheel to compound and then apply 2 coats of Collinite paste. Time consuming but she beads water for the entire year.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Ceramic coated my fifth wheel trailer and truck last year and contemplating same for my sailboat. Results on my trailer and truck are excellent to date.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
I had my detailer wetsand/compound/polish and then ceramic coat my trimaran in spring 2017. It looked great for two years with a high gloss and it stayed clean. Now it looks like a satin finish and Water doesn’t bead up.

My detailer didn’t apply it to the nonskid. I use Woody Wax on the nonskid a couple of times a year, it’s quick and easy and it keeps the nonskid pretty clean.

all in all, I liked the ceramic coating. it was very expensive to do, however. Maybe I need to comparison shop next time.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I had my detailer wetsand/compound/polish and then ceramic coat my trimaran in spring 2017. It looked great for two years with a high gloss and it stayed clean. Now it looks like a satin finish and Water doesn’t bead up.

My detailer didn’t apply it to the nonskid. I use Woody Wax on the nonskid a couple of times a year, it’s quick and easy and it keeps the nonskid pretty clean.

all in all, I liked the ceramic coating. it was very expensive to do, however. Maybe I need to comparison shop next time.
Price?

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
It’s was around $4000, which included wet sanding and buffing every square inch of the 30 year old deck and three hulls. It took him days to sand, compound and polish the boat. Applying the ceramic coating and buffing it out was only a small fraction of the labor cost.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Personally I don't think you can beat the (3) step process Maine Sail posts every spring (or another reposts it) Prestige polish with Collinite Fleet Wax, I did this to our 41 DS spring of 2017 and all I have to to do is a quick reapplication of wax each spring and she stays absolutely beautiful all season. For the smooth areas of the deck reapplication may be required during the season, but it is quick and easy to apply. I wouldn't mess with ceramic coatings expensive and as Dr Judy points out in a couple of years they dull out, which means that you have to strip and start the process all over, your money, your choice.......

Jul 23, 2020
Basically all the auto detailer’s worth their salt have long since stopped using conventional wax and use ceramic coatings.

I had this done on both our cars 2 years ago (one of which is 19 years old and is stored for the winter) the other is our family daily driver. Both are so shiny today it’s ridiculous. Bird dropping, sap, tree leaf stains all basically wipe off. These coatings stop uv and have unbelievable durability.

Aside from the added complexity of application, is there any reason this only seems to be adapted by the stink pots and not sailboats? (Stink pot = motorboat, and yes I own one of those too it’s a light hearted term my grandmother used).

I’m curious about an answer, maybe saltwater is an issue, but I doubt it, the roads here in Maine are way salter than the ocean when the brine trucks roll past...

Anyone have some insight?
My life's dream is to find some wise old Japanese man who owns a spotless Hans Christian, and he takes me under his wing and part of my "training" is to rub wax on his boat while chanting "wax on... wax off..."-->and then when the summer is over he gives me the boat for free.