Rigging a Capri 165

Jul 2, 2020
Catalina 165 Chatfield
I think this is the appropriate part. Perhaps contact them to confirm for your specific boat.

yep, and the associated part is the swivel I have.

I guess I could’ve googled Capri 165 furling gear...:facepalm:

Jul 2, 2020
Catalina 165 Chatfield
Thanks Joe, first off I meant “ tang” not the boom vang....brain fart. Thanks a lot for the info and suggestions. I talked to Catalina direct, they’re not doing custom rigging because of modified work hours and COVID hassles but they did tell me the length of the pennant, 14 inches. So I called a guy at a marina in Frisco, CO and he said he can fabricate one for me Sunday morning in about 30 mins. So I think I’m good on that score. I found a pin for the jib head swivel on the jib halyard block that I won’t use anyway....winner winner chicken dinner.

Now my issue is stepping the mast. I see how a jib halyard is handy for that...but I won’t have one so I need to figure out how I’m going to step the mast, presumably with head of jib already rigged and what the odds are that the hole in the furler drum is going to match with one of the two small holes in the stem plate.

Any suggestions?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Thanks Joe, first off I meant “ tang” not the boom vang....brain fart. Thanks a lot for the info and suggestions. I talked to Catalina direct, they’re not doing custom rigging because of modified work hours and COVID hassles but they did tell me the length of the pennant, 14 inches. So I called a guy at a marina in Frisco, CO and he said he can fabricate one for me Sunday morning in about 30 mins. So I think I’m good on that score. I found a pin for the jib head swivel on the jib halyard block that I won’t use anyway....winner winner chicken dinner.

Now my issue is stepping the mast. I see how a jib halyard is handy for that...but I won’t have one so I need to figure out how I’m going to step the mast, presumably with head of jib already rigged and what the odds are that the hole in the furler drum is going to match with one of the two small holes in the stem plate.

Any suggestions?
Here's one way: Connect the upper swivel to the mast hound with the pin hole adjuster shown in the photo. Attach that extra ronstan block to the bow stem and run an extension line from the furler drum through the block then back to the cockpit. With the mast set in place ready to tilt up... stand in the cockpit with the mast on your shoulder and star pulling it up with the bow line you set up.... once it is vertical, tie it off at mast... then go forward and get the drum connected... then remove the block and line you used for a lifting aid.
If you have help... have some one walk the mast up while the other uses the extension to pull.
On my nacra I used a fulton trailer winch mounted high on the trailer's mast support to crank it up... still using the line extension.. this time attached to the forestay.(no furler drum). I had a crutch to hold the mast up in preparation to raise.
Dude..... sometimes you just have to go for it.... the best thing to do is practice at home.... don't wait till you get to the marina unless you plan recruiting someone for help.. That may be a good idea though... good chance you might bump into someone who knows what they're doing. If you can launch and maneuver the boat to a beach. raise the mast there. Other wise, raise the mast while it's still on the trailer... not at a dock. keep the boat lashed to the trailer and the trailer hooked on to the tow vehicle. Trust me on this. You can put all the other stuff on wherever you think best... but the mast is easier to raise on the trailer than standing at the dock.

Jul 2, 2020
Catalina 165 Chatfield
Joe,
Dude, yes, I think I get it. Pictures would help (or a cartoon) but I understand in theory how to put the load on the jib luff with the line you speak of and then being to attach the furler drum, with relatively light load on it, detach the rigged extension line and we should be all good, a couple of reps and I should be able to dial in the pin hole adjuster.

Question, how do I attach the extension line to the furler drum, isn't there only one hole on the bottom to attach to the stem plate?

I am with you on practicing at home and setting up on the trailer at the ramp, fortunately I have a helper (wife) but that help is going to come with a fair amount of heckling.

Thanks again man,
John

Jul 2, 2020
Catalina 165 Chatfield
Joe, et al,
Success!! Got the part fabricated - 14 inch pennant with two swaged eye fittings, goes between swivel shackled to loop at head of jib and adjustable pin fitting at mast tang. So I clipped a block to the stem plate, ran a line (erstwhile jib halyard) through block from cockpit to the jib, tied a timber hitch around furled jib, shouldered and walked mast forward with shrouds already attached, pinned the furler drum and the mast was stepped.

So this was the first time I had boat properly rigged with boom and all that, noticed the foot of my mainsail does not have slugs or a cable or anything to engage in boom track so basically when I shackle the clew to the outhaul the only other point of attachment at the foot is the tack of the sail and I don't know how to attach it. There is a grommet at the tack and a line tied to the mast just above the step, wondering if I just tie that on there or if I should attach it (the tack) to the gooseneck - previous owner has small diameter line already tied off there that will fit into small holes in gooseneck. The mast side of gooseneck is bolted in place so I see no need for a downhaul - boom vang connects nicely. I guess I could rig a Cunningham but not sure where to tie it off - there is a small jam cleat on starboard side of mast. Main halyard is normal and run correctly, head of sail looks good and the luff does engage in the mast track as it should.

Unfortunately while I was playing monkey vs. football, thunderstorms rolled in and I had to break boat down without sailing EERRRGGHHH.

Anyway, I'll look forward to any expert advice I can get.

V/R,
John