272 speed under power

Jul 12, 2020
O'day 272 Inlet Watch Yacht Club
Hi all,
Our 1986 O'day 272 has a brand new 9.9 Yamaha installed. I saw the bill of sale. The speedometer doesn't work, which for Jean and me doesn't affect our decision on the purchase. However, the boat is in Charleston SC and we need to get it to Wilmington NC. We think it's about 140 miles, give or take. We know a broker who will help me get it to Wilmington. He charges 300-500 per day, so without knowing at least roughly what the 272 will do under power, we can't make an informed decision. Anyone have similar sizing and know what kind of speed it will do? Jim says he has the bottom scraped by a diver at least every 6 weeks, so I am going with it isn't covered... Thanks for any insight.

Jesse

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
It might be hard to say. From what I've read on here, the prop has to be pitched properly for max efficiency. I would give a WAG of about 6kts. Someone smarter will know more. The lighter you keep it, the better.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
The NOAA table of distances at https://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/publications/docs/distances.pdf puts the trip at 151 miles, more or less depending on exactly what parts of those ports you’re going between. I don’t have experience with a 272 but do with a 28 that had an inboard 10hp diesel. Though hull speed on the 272 is in the low-mid 6’s I wouldn’t figure on averaging more than the mid 5’s. So my estimate would be 25-30 hours of travel time.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Ok, the NOOA information is around 150 Nautical Miles or 173 Statute Miles. You will not know the condition of the winds and sea until your departure and only then will you be able to figure your fuel consumption. Favorable winds and seas could propel you at an average of 6 knots with a fuel consumption of 20 gallons in 25 hours or adverse seas could allow to average 4.5 Knots while using 30 gallons in 33 hours. Giving yourself another two hours to depart and enter port you would be looking at between 27 and 35 hours. If there is one thruth about traveling in a sailboat, you get to choose when to depart but can never tell when you are going to arrive.

Jul 12, 2020
Thank to all who replied!!!:) Everyone is so helpful. Thank you for the link to NOAA table of distances!!!

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Are you going up the ICW or planning to take it outside up the coast? Are you planning to overnight in port or sail straight through non-stop?

Jul 12, 2020
Are you going up the ICW or planning to take it outside up the coast? Are you planning to overnight in port or sail straight through non-stop?
If I can find someone to help besides my wife, probably do non stop. If with wife, we will take our time and stop in port. We will take it up the ICW.

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
I had a 272LE with an inboard diesel. I planned on 4 kts for a trip. I'm not sure if the 9.9 will give you a better speed than the Westerbeke. Good winds will help, but you can't count on them, hence my planning with 4kts.

Jul 12, 2020
I had a 272LE with an inboard diesel. I planned on 4 kts for a trip. I'm not sure if the 9.9 will give you a better speed than the Westerbeke. Good winds will help, but you can't count on them, hence my planning with 4kts.
Thank you for your input!!!