Kite sailing

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Still think a spinnaker is better? :biggrin:
-Will (Dragonfly)
I wasn't thinking about a foiling multihull when I made that statement, so for a monohull I'll stick to my guns.
However, I did notice they were out on a day with no traffic I could see and wonder at their maneuverability under that rig. I doubt they could sail safely on a nice weekend day in the Bay with hundreds of boats out there.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
That is an excellent point.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Yep a collection of inexperienced people launching directly into the most powerful area of the wind window and getting dragged. The others seem to be experienced people pushing the envelope and paying the price.

Although a dynamic video it doesn’t really represent normal use any more than videos of “sailboats” crashing :)

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I wasn't thinking about a foiling multihull when I made that statement, so for a monohull I'll stick to my guns.
However, I did notice they were out on a day with no traffic I could see and wonder at their maneuverability under that rig. I doubt they could sail safely on a nice weekend day in the Bay with hundreds of boats out there.
Valid point but I think the same feeling was prevalent when the whole AC - series of high speed foil racing started. Now it’s kind
of “normal” to see massive boats closing on each other at very fast rates.

I have been out windsurfing when some of my friends are launching big air jumps with kites. Nothing like having a 200lb guy flying downwind at you when you are closing at 40+ knots:yikes:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Now it’s kind of “normal” to see massive boats closing on each other at very fast rates.
I think that's always been the case when big boats race. When a couple of Maxis are closing at 12 to 15 knots each, that's still a pretty unrealistic speed to us on more sedate boats, don't you think?
We can carry 10 knots to weather pretty comfortably on a good tradewinds day and there are times when a 6 to 7 knot boat is closing with us. That's still a speed where a definitive course change well before it is necessary is a good idea. An ounce of prevention......

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I think that's always been the case when big boats race. When a couple of Maxis are closing at 12 to 15 knots each, that's still a pretty unrealistic speed to us on more sedate boats, don't you think?
We can carry 10 knots to weather pretty comfortably on a good tradewinds day and there are times when a 6 to 7 knot boat is closing with us. That's still a speed where a definitive course change well before it is necessary is a good idea. An ounce of prevention......
Yes I think anything outside whatever you consider “normal” is going to “feel” crazy fast. Anything new seems kinda crazy until there is enough exposure to make it seem normal.

I always err on the side of NOT getting rammed, if there is room for me to yield right of way and that’s the safest course for me that’s the one I take.

I think in collisions there is some silly theory about mass and acceleration that comes into play;)
I’ve been almost knocked off my road bike after slamming into a bumblebee with my face but SIZE does matter! :)

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
That was wicked ....
I’m not sure I would be ballsy enough to be right in front of the foil high 5ing though!

So are you still thinking of having a go at kiting? I’m pretty sure the startup costs are less expensive than an IMOCA 60 :)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
So are you still thinking of having a go at kiting? I’m pretty sure the startup costs are less expensive than an IMOCA 60 :)
Another thing that really got my attention was the fact that the guy was walking off of the beach with his kite rolled up around his board and the entire package tucked up under his arm.

Dang... how cool would it be to just grab a quick 30 min after work. I can imagine the rig would stay in the car at all times.

Jan 19, 2010
I already own a wind surfer so I might just start with that as my quick fix but who knows. Maybe I could adapt the wind surfer to a kite rig. That might be its own kind of fun.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I already own a wind surfer so I might just start with that as my quick fix but who knows. Maybe I could adapt the wind surfer to a kite rig. That might be its own kind of fun.
Depends on the fin box in the windsurfer but you can add a foil to the windsurfer.

Talk to some kite people (friendly like most sailors) and see if you can try a trainer kite. Just learning to fly the kite is entertaining and great exercise!

Jan 19, 2010
I don't think I am up to a foil. But the kite seems way cool.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Another thing that really got my attention was the fact that the guy was walking off of the beach with his kite rolled up around his board and the entire package tucked up under his arm.

Dang... how cool would it be to just grab a quick 30 min after work. I can imagine the rig would stay in the car at all times.
I see this a lot at Hookipa on the North Shore of Maui. Folks will pull up on their way home from work and set up their kites on the beach. They can walk out on the hard reef and step onto the waves, and off they go. Only experienced riders here. The tradewinds are pretty strong, and these folks are able to steer the kite, keeping it straight up, with one hand, and carry the board with the other hand. Mostly surf riding boards here, I think. The air these people get is incredible.
I've also seen kite boarders ride Jaws at Peahi. They don't need a tow like the board surfers do. These waves exceed 50', and sometimes the kite can't keep up with the wave. And, yes, the foils have shown up on all the different types of boards. A few years ago, when I first saw foil boards mounted on the roofs of cars, I thought they were model airplanes strapped upside down on the cars.