Full Bilge

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Just one last thought. Possible water damage aside, is she a keeper? Have you looked at her other features? Is everything there that you want long term? I'm assuming after all the work you p!an to sail it a long time. Good sails? Comfortable berth(s)? Good deck hardware? Winches in good shape? Personally I like self tailing winches. They are a pricey upgrade. So you have a decent furler?
I think I'm imposing my own likes, but they are expensive upgrades you may not even know you want.

No keel answers yet?

Last edited:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
"Draft of the 2-27 model was a consistent 4’ 3", while two keel configurations were offered on the Mk III. The shoal draft keel drew 4’, and the deep draft keel drew 5’."

Which keel does yours have?

Jun 17, 2020
CAL 27 Harbor North on Lake Erie
Just one last thought. Possible water damage aside, is she a keeper? Have you looked at her other features? Is everything there that you want long term? I'm assuming after all the work you p!an to sail it a long time. Good sails? Comfortable berth(s)? Good deck hardware? Winches in good shape? Personally I like self railing winches. They are a pricey upgrade. So you get a decent furler?
I think I'm imposing my own likes, but they are expensive upgrades you may not even know you want.

No keel answers yet?
Justin thanks! I plan on replacing sails and all the running rigging. As far as comfort not sure. I can tell you I have spent many nights sleeping on the ground or in a rooftop tent on my Overland truck...as far as boats go I have no idea other than the positive reviews this boat gets online.

Winches are all in good shape but definitely in need of reuilding!
Like I said earlier, I am not dropping this boat into the lake and heading out. It would go home and be subject to a 1 to 2 year total refit

This boat is a stepping stone to a larger bluewater capable liveaboard in retirement.

As far as "is she a keeper" goes, based on my research Cal 27's were great boats and I could see myself getting back into racing with her.

No Keel answers...

2020-06-17 10.08.05.jpg

Jun 17, 2020
CAL 27 Harbor North on Lake Erie
"Draft of the 2-27 model was a consistent 4’ 3", while two keel configurations were offered on the Mk III. The shoal draft keel drew 4’, and the deep draft keel drew 5’."

Which keel does yours have?
jviss, She has the 5... That is according to the spec sheet I saw in the broker's office. Looking at these pictures I think I will measure next time I am out
Keel 2020-06-18 12.26.14.jpg
keel2 2020-06-18 12.28.28.jpg