What is the proper maintenance routine for a 76 C22 in salt water.

Oct 4, 2010
76 Catalina 22 Three Mile Harbor, East Hampton, NY
I own a 1976 C22 swing keel. In October 2010 I purchased the boat, removed the keel, sanded all surface rust, applied rust inhibitor from Permatex, 2 coats of an oil based metal primer and two coats of ablative paint. Every year since then I have repeated the process every spring without removing the keel, while the boat was on the trailer. I leave her in the salt water marina on Long Island from May till November. Is there a better process? Can I coat the keel so I don’t get the surface rust?

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
I own a 1976 C22 swing keel. In October 2010 I purchased the boat, removed the keel, sanded all surface rust, applied rust inhibitor from Permatex, 2 coats of an oil based metal primer and two coats of ablative paint. Every year since then I have repeated the process every spring without removing the keel, while the boat was on the trailer. I leave her in the salt water marina on Long Island from May till November. Is there a better process? Can I coat the keel so I don’t get the surface rust?
sure, do what many others here have done, drop the keel, sandblast, epoxy coat & fair, then you're good to go for the long run....plenty of posts here on the process, others will chime in w/links, or do a search...pita for sure, but ultimately necessary...

Oct 4, 2010
76 Catalina 22 Three Mile Harbor, East Hampton, NY
sandblast, epoxy coat & fair, then you're good to go for the long run....
I have seen this described previously but haven’t given it enough thought to now. How long would you expect this method to last assuming the keel doesn’t hit anything. Thanks

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
I have seen this described previously but haven’t given it enough thought to now. How long would you expect this method to last assuming the keel doesn’t hit anything. Thanks
likely as long as you own the boat!

here's one of many threads of the process:

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
and another, CloudDiver's epic journey, a worthy read for all C22 owners:

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
If you're not too concerned about appearance - coal tar epoxy does a good job too. Mine's been on for several years, and it's tough stuff. You don't necessarily need to fair it, but a lot of people who go through the effort of removing the keel go that extra step.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
A boat in salt water will have significant marine growth in a couple of weeks. Make sure you exercise the keel by raising and lowering it periodically. The boat may also benefit from diving and cleaning the bottom every 3-4 weeks. It is not good to wait until November to find out the keel is stuck in the down position because of marine growth.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
How long would you expect this method to last assuming the keel doesn’t hit anything. Thanks
Heck you can even hit a few things if you must ;) Honestly believe the keel will outlast the boat at this point. Better than new for 1/2 the price. And @rpludwig nailed it - PITA. Likely (especially in salt ) you will never fend of the continual rust without going complete refurb or new. Cast iron is not our friend ......

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
to Benny's point....we have a local dive service that cleans ours 4-5x/year VERY reasonably. He charges by the minute ($2), takes 10-15 minutes to do ours....I can't bother to put my gear on for that minimal cost, I look at it like taking our car thru a good car wash and interior detail....cost is about the same, and I certainly care more about the boat than the car!
(Now I do the car, and no dive gear necessary for that job.....priorities!!!)

Last edited: