Oceanis 331 Keel crack

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Running aground would certainly not damage the keel in that location.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
My cast keel and my buddy's 375 has no fairing compound whatsoever . Putting the boat in the cradle would not cause that unless someone put wood under the back edge of the keel and sat the boat down on it bending the back up. Running a ground no way .I believe water got in and froze over the winter during one of those -30 C Days . Water between keel and fairing compound , or water into a crack in the lead.Is your cradle the right cradle ,you shouldn't have all that wood shimmed up under keel?

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
As others have said it's probably epoxy or fairing compound coming loose after water got in there. If it were iron, there would most likely be rust stains. I just finished repairing the trailing edge of my iron keel which was damaged after a tangle on the mooring chain. I used rust teatment, sand blaster and grinder to clean it, epoxy (G/flex 650 with 406 filler) . Then I used an electric sander to shape and finish and then interlux 2000e to seal it all.

Aug 20, 2013
Beneteau 311 Port Clinton, OH (Lake Erie)
A couple responders have mentioned welding onto the cast iron keel to effect some sort of a repair. I don't see what value there would be in adding weld metal to a cast iron keel. From the size of the crack, there does not appear to be any structural change to the keel, just some surface rust at most, or the coating on the keel has been cracked open by water expanding when freezing. It is worth mentioning that when iron or steel rusts it expands. Either ice or rust could expand and create a crack like the shown. It also seems possible that fairing compound and epoxy coating could have been built up in that area during construction and broken down over time.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
A couple responders have mentioned welding onto the cast iron keel to effect some sort of a repair. I don't see what value there would be in adding weld metal to a cast iron keel. From the size of the crack, there does not appear to be any structural change to the keel, just some surface rust at most, or the coating on the keel has been cracked open by water expanding when freezing. It is worth mentioning that when iron or steel rusts it expands. Either ice or rust could expand and create a crack like the shown. It also seems possible that fairing compound and epoxy coating could have been built up in that area during construction and broken down over time.
There is value in welding the cast with nickel rod ,the crack will not continue and is strong . Also nickel will not corrode. I have welded tons of castings over the years ,gearbox flanges, bearing housings and once a head off a chevy 350 . No issues if you know what you are doing pre heating the cast before welding and cooling slowly.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I agree with the comments regard fairing compound. Either way I would believe not a big issue. Grind it down slowly and inspect and re-fair / repair.

good luck
Greg

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
There is value in welding the cast with nickel rod ,the crack will not continue and is strong . Also nickel will not corrode. I have welded tons of castings over the years ,gearbox flanges, bearing housings and once a head off a chevy 350 . No issues if you know what you are doing pre heating the cast before welding and cooling slowly.
I don’t think the concern is that welding would do any harm. As you say it should be possible to weld without hurting anything. But what is the advantage of trying to weld something on that spot? Unlike a structural component, this part of the keel is just there to provide a smooth surface and a little bit of weight. Welding seems like overkill for the fix, rather than just cleaning up whatever’s there and smoothing it out with some fairing compound.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
I don’t think the concern is that welding would do any harm. As you say it should be possible to weld without hurting anything. But what is the advantage of trying to weld something on that spot? Unlike a structural component, this part of the keel is just there to provide a smooth surface and a little bit of weight. Welding seems like overkill for the fix, rather than just cleaning up whatever’s there and smoothing it out with some fairing compound.
[/QUOTE
Look I repair 30 million dollar machines for 40 years , I look at doing a repair to put it back to or better than original . Fill it, fair it , I don't really care , the proper repair if it is cracked cast iron is to weld it with nickel rod ,to prevent the crack from spreading and give it back its structure integrity period.
Where we live in the winter we gets days of -30 C or -22 F .If he gets more water in a crack in cast iron it will and or crack right off

Last edited: