STUCK TRANSMISSION FILL PLUG

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Congratulations on your success. A few noteworthy items. A six point socket is much less likely to strip a hex bolt head than a twelve point socket. Also the Snap-On sockets are supposedly "flank drive" sockets meaning they contact the bolt head on the flats rather than on the corners making them a lot less likely to strip the bolt head. I've never seen those bolt extractors before so thank you for the info!

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
@jibes138 Yes, you are absolutely correct! And with this in mind I used a Craftsman 17mm six point socket and removed the drain plug. My guess is that I used a 12 point and rounded off the six corners on my attempts to remove the dip stick. In addition the 12 point was made in one of those far eastern countries. I've had this kit for over 30 something years and have rarely used it. Thought I'd keep it on the boat for the metric nuts and bolts. Mmmm, going to rethink that one.

Funny thing yesterday when working on that area, the aluminum (or ALUMINIUM as we brits say) washer for the dip stick came off the top of the transmission. Must have been all that PB blaster I used!!

This thread should not be closed just yet. Here is the continuation with yet another question.
The manual states to use type A or Dexron ll grade automatic transmission oil. Neither are available in any of the automotive stores. The closest I've been able to find is Napa Premium ATF Dexron lll. Its the next generation but not synthetic. Anyone know the answer

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
@jibes138
Funny thing yesterday when working on that area, the aluminum (or ALUMINIUM as we brits say) washer for the dip stick came off the top of the transmission.
My statement regarding the material was based on memory... which ain't so good.:( The important thing is that there is a soft-metal washer under the plug.

Regarding which ATF to use, I have a quart bottle of Walmart Super Tech Dexron III compatible fluid that I keep aboard. Every fall I add the whole thing (or as much of it as the transmission will hold) to the transmission. By doing this I am keeping the transmission seals moist, and preventing corrosion. I am also regularly inspecting the condition and cleanliness of the ATF. Every spring I drain the ATF level down to where it should be for normal operation. I move the fluid in and out of the transmission with a $5 Attwood Gear Lube Pump.