Mounting flatscreen TV on wall

May 4, 2020
Catalina 310 Gilford
We have a 32 inch flatscreen that we would like to mount on wall. What is best location and mounting recommendation/ requirements?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Are you asking if anyone with a similar boat has mounted a similarly sized TV in the main cabin?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Where you put it is personal preference. How you put it is simpler - you wouldn't use adhesive strips to mount it in your house (which doesn't move presumably) so why use those things where the wall moves?

Never owned a C30 but the same principle applies universally. Mount it securely before it becomes a weapon flying through the air at someone. You can easily find a proper TV mount which fits that size TV securely.

• Helpful

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I'd use a fixed wall mount for a home install and then bolt on that bulkhead with either a backing plate or large fender washers. I believe the OEM mount was a swing mount in the fwd cabin that could be used in the cabin or pivoted into the main cabin. Mine had a broken 13" tube TV and we have a small LCD with built in DVD player on it now

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I mounted ours on the wall separating the Salon from the front cabin. The wall was too thin, so we bought two 5"x6"x3/8" teak blocks as a backer plate [washers].
Then we bought and adjustable mounting bracket that fit our 32" screen and thus had enough support for our new TV.

We had to avoid the "head hitting" on people sitting in the salon seats, so make sure you mount it high enough.

Good Luck...
Jim...

PS: Sorry @JRT , you said similar things just before I hit POST.:facepalm:

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
"I'd use a fixed wall mount for a home install and then bolt on that bulkhead with either a backing plate or large fender washers"

I have a 32" flatscreen mounted this way - bought a fixed mount from Best Buy - no problems. I'd stay away from swiveling mounts.

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Catalina 310 258 Sandusky, OH
There are several previous threads on TV mounting. most seem to mount TV on a swivel so can be viewed in fwd berth or main cabin. There isn't much bulkhead space otherwise. The thread below is from 2009. Search "TV swivel"

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
We mounted a smaller flat screen with built-in DVD player on the bulkhead between the head and the saloon. We used a fixed mount that swivels up and down only, using stainless steel hardware through bolted with large fender washers caulked on the head side of the bulkhead. It is mounted high enough to avoid any head bashing, and has remained secure on all kinds of seas.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
We mounted our 22" LCD tv on the bulkhead over the starboard quarter berth. We have good line of sight to this spot from all of the cabin seating areas. We mounted with lockable swivel mount, and bought a waterproof cover to protect for any thru hatch spray.

Attachments

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
I have the same setup as JRT had, but I can't access the boat for pictures. My swivel mount is in the forward cabin, beside the opening to the galley. We had a 22" TV on it for a while, don't think we ever turned it on, so took the TV off the mount. You could see the TV from the bed or swing it around and see it from the galley.

Cheers
dj

Jun 4, 2004
Catalina 310 LaSalle, MI
I am going to try mounting a 24" HDTV/DVD on the wall backing the head area this weekend. Going to use a fixed wall mount. The wall seems fairly sturdy, should hold the TV and should be solid enough to handle healing. The TV should be easy to access either in the main salon or the forward stateroom. I worry more about popping circuits than anything else. We will see. If I get there I will take some pics.

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
Mount on the bulkhead (that has this large opening) using through bolts/screws. Do not use any ugly looking mounts. You can either have the screws go on the sides of the opening and into the TV (be careful not to damage any of the inside electronics) or use backing plate (wood, aluminium) that goes across the opening.

The other option I have seen is on the side facing the settee but it is not symmetrical and 32" is a pretty big TV for that.

I dislike mounts on boats because they look ugly and increase the leverage of the TV against the bulkhead.

SV Pizzazz

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
Mine came with the swivel TV mount that I thought was standard. Limits TV size to 19-20" but otherwise is great.20200622_174024.jpg20200622_174039.jpg20200622_174044.jpg