Why I love newbe boat owners

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I love it when i eat with the Real Estate ladies next to my office.
Lady 1: My whatchamacallit broke
Lady 2: Is the thingy broke?
Me: [nearly choking on my sandwich] Whose thingy?:laugh:
Me: Oh you mean the thing amah jig.:biggrin:

Jim...

PS: I got punched in the shoulder by both of them.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Try to explain what you want done in, to you, the. simplest nautical terminology while sailing with your significant other as crew immediately ! For example, ”Ease the jib sheet”, without having to define what it is, where it is, and finally, “what color is the rope?”

Fortunately, she really wants to learn and catches on quickly...

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
the learning curve is obviously challenging to newbie sailors and those redundant questions are...redundant...
some of those folks are best advised to get aboard their weekend-bowrider-stinkpotter, reading their state 2 page rec boater's guide, turning the ignition key, flooring the throttle and going back to work on Monday....jmho

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I was taking a handling class on a trawler and the instructor told me to keep the channel marker to port, when I did so he said "Other side". "So keep it to starboard ?" I said, "stay to the left, you sailors always confuse me with that ancient jargon" he replied. :yikes:

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
nearly everything was called a chingadera!
I hope you know the Spanish translation of that.:facepalm:

I will NOT translate that or the SBO robot will come get me.:hook2:
Jim...

PS: Close meaning ... a pesky little thing.:pimp:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
"In current usage, chingadera refers to anything for which the speaker has momentarily forgotten the word, especially things of little value or broken. Chingar may still refer poetically to splitting things lengthwise, though most Spanish speakers are now unaware of this archaic sense."
From Chingadera dictionary definition | chingadera defined

Not so offensive.

Of course, taking the first six letters only, that could be an issue.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I said it was a factory job; up in Madera, CA.;) Vulgarity encountered there was only surpassed several years later spending a few nights aboard a working vessel manned by navy and ex-navy sailors. One adjective for everything there as well!

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
When i started working as a Service Manager at an automotive shop, my vulgarity went up unfortunately.
I threatened the implementation of a "potty mouth jar" with a sliding scale of financial penalties. You would have thought i was William Bligh.

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 28 East Tawas
"Dear Headmistress. According to your instructions I put the thingamabob in the whatchamacallit, turned the doohickey and the whatever it is still doesn't work. Do you have any more ideas?"

--Peggie
Peggie your post appears to poke fun or even ridicule people new to boating and it's unique problems. When I first started boating in 1992 I didn't know a halyard from a Hal Holbrook but I still made an effort to learn the names and purposes of the various parts of my boat. Making repairs was also baffling because a mistake could be dangerous or even deadly. So I talked to more experienced friends in boating and, yes used terms that loosely described that which needed fixing. People were patient, informative and simply nice to me. I learned fast, got good at fixing things and I am often able to repair most things within my ability. To scoff at newbies who don't know the terms of boating repair seems inappropriate and mean spirited. Finally I work part time as a ski instructor if I were to use my newbie students as the butt of a joke I would soon run out of students and my boss would show me the door in short order.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
@Mike4116 has a good point. Lets take a close look at some of the words we use...

What is Port? Is it a window? Is it a glass of wine? Is it the left side of your boat but only when facing forward?

What is cordage? Well it is either a piece of rope (if it is not being used -- wait!--- what?) or a line. But if it is a line.... we won't call it a line... we will call it something like halyard, main sheet or rode....:yikes:

Then there are stays... which are only stays if they are fore or aft.... otherwise, they are shrouds. I mean... it would be crazy to call them side-stays (or would that be athwart stays):biggrin: