Catalina 310 lists to port

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Actually since it is 1/2 of a 36 inch level, 1.5/18 which would equal 8.3 degrees
Do you have a picture of the boat taken square to the bow or stern, taken from a distance and showing both waterline and the top of the mast?

Assuming list is 8.3 degrees, you can double check your measurements as follows:

Using the main halyard with a heavy weight on it as a plumb line, go stand on the centerline of the boat. The halyard would be 6 or more feet away from the side of the mast at the level of the side deck. It would be hanging outside the beam of the boat. The beam of the boat is 11.50 feet.

Judy B

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
This site has the dedicated 310 owner's forum

There aren't a ton 310s for sale and your year and location told me it was Tess Too. The 310 area was a gold mine of info for my 2003 and I found the postings from the previous 2 owners really helpful for history, care and documentation. Ask the owner about your concerns I bet he is upfront and can point out all his documentation on this site.

I still think your seat of the pants feeling might be off, try looking and checking from center line from the cockpit with nobody onboarding, dock lines loose. I could feel the list on mine too, but the lean o gauge didn't show it was much. 10 deg is pretty much our lean 10-15 knts close hauled, stuff starts changing sides of the cabin...

Jul 12, 2018
Catalina 27 Seattle
Do you have a picture of the boat taken square to the bow or stern, taken from a distance and showing both waterline and the top of the mast?

Assuming list is 8.3 degrees, you can double check your measurements as follows:

Using the main halyard with a heavy weight on it as a plumb line, go stand on the centerline of the boat. The halyard would be 6 or more feet away from the side of the mast at the level of the side deck. It would be hanging outside the beam of the boat. The beam of the boat is 11.50 feet.

Judy B
Excellent idea. Will do that today.

Jul 12, 2018
Catalina 27 Seattle
This site has the dedicated 310 owner's forum

There aren't a ton 310s for sale and your year and location told me it was Tess Too. The 310 area was a gold mine of info for my 2003 and I found the postings from the previous 2 owners really helpful for history, care and documentation. Ask the owner about your concerns I bet he is upfront and can point out all his documentation on this site.

I still think your seat of the pants feeling might be off, try looking and checking from center line from the cockpit with nobody onboarding, dock lines loose. I could feel the list on mine too, but the lean o gauge didn't show it was much.
Nope my feeling is not off. You slide off the seat on the starboard settee. Going through a broker so no contact with owner. The list is visible both on and off the boat.

Jun 25, 2004
Excellent idea. Will do that today.
For the picture, be sure to get far enough away to show the dock/waterline and the top of the mast.
If it's windy and you're using a hlayard as a plumb line, the line won't hang straight down. You must wait for no wind.

Jun 25, 2004
And... when you put 300 pounds of crew to starboard in the cock[pit....

It would be a better test to sit inside on the starboard settee, directly across from the batteries. That would give you equivalent effect due to length of the ballast righting arm and equal buoyancy righting moment from the hull form in the fore and aft direction.

Righting moment is determined by the buoyancy created by the shape of the hull, in addition to the the contribution of ballast

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
We have a 2000 310 and yes we have a port lists. We also have 4 6 volt golf cart batteries and tools and other supplies in the port storage, total weight around 400-500 lbs. When we need new batteries I'll be changing to Fire Fly this will reduce the weight by 160 lbs also check around as most of the storage on the 310 is on the port side so it not just batteries.

Jun 25, 2004
Actually since it is 1/2 of a 36 inch level, 1.5/18 which would equal 8.3 degrees
Okay. so I looked at the pics of the Tess Too online, and eyeballed it at under 5 degrees. That made me question your math again.

and, ummm..... the math is still not right.

Arctan of (1.5/18) = 0.0833333 radians = 4.7 degrees.
Not 8.3 dgrees !!!!

To convert from radians to degrees, mulitply by 180 and divide by pi. One radian is approx 57 degrees.

So.... if you use the main halyard as a plumb line in calm wind, it would be hanging about 3.5 feet from the side of the mast at the deck level.

4.7 degrees is nowhere near as bad as 10 degrees, There's probably a large margin of error in your measurements, so the list to port may be significantly fewer degrees than 4.7.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Sweet looking boat! I can't imagine there is anything wrong here that moving some weight around couldn't address, at least well enough.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
I have had Tess Too tie up along side a few years ago and at that time the listing was no more that what we have, about 3 deg. Like I said before the main storage on the 310 is on the port side and knowing this we try and place any heavy objects on the starboard side ( fill the fridge with beer and have 20 lt of wine, food optional).

Jul 12, 2018
Catalina 27 Seattle
I have had Tess Too tie up along side a few years ago and at that time the listing was no more that what we have, about 3 deg. Like I said before the main storage on the 310 is on the port side and knowing this we try and place any heavy objects on the starboard side ( fill the fridge with beer and have 20 lt of wine, food optional).
Got it. Thanks.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
How is moving one 60 lb battery from port to starboard = adding 120 lbs ballast to port?
It's not politically correct to ridicule the digitally challenged :huh:. Anyone who is half awake would know that should have read "adding 120 lbs ballast to STARBOARD. Then follow @Stu Jackson 's explanation.

Jul 12, 2018
Catalina 27 Seattle
Okay. so I looked at the pics of the Tess Too online, and eyeballed it at under 5 degrees. That made me question your math again.

and, ummm..... the math is still not right.

Arctan of (1.5/18) = 0.0833333 radians = 4.7 degrees.
Not 8.3 dgrees !!!!

To convert from radians to degrees, mulitply by 180 and divide by pi. One radian is approx 57 degrees.

So.... if you use the main halyard as a plumb line in calm wind, it would be hanging about 3.5 feet from the side of the mast at the deck level.

4.7 degrees is nowhere near as bad as 10 degrees, There's probably a large margin of error in your measurements, so the list to port may be significantly fewer degrees than 4.7.
Remeasured per your instructions and it is 1 1/4 inch/36 inches after the water tanks were filled. Will require configuring batteries back to the original design specs of 2 in the proper placement to bring the boat plumb. Thanks to all for your advice and wisdom.

Jun 25, 2004
Remeasured per your instructions and it is 1 1/4 inch/36 inches after the water tanks were filled. Will require configuring batteries back to the original design specs of 2 in the proper placement to bring the boat plumb. Thanks to all for your advice and wisdom.
That’s less than 2 degrees of list. That’s good news. :D

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
As an avid 310 fan there is one flaw I don't like that Catalina did. Your large lazarette, large settee, batteries and holding tank are all on the same size. In theory they balance out with the galley. But it's very easy to stuff the storage on the port side full and have very little to offset this. The starboard settee storage is smaller. Depending on how full you have the dry storage, fridge and cabinets in the galley you might not be balanced. Being that the boat is for sale my guess is all the galley storage is empty.

On a cruising boat I offset this by having two 5 gallon cans of fuel, a 5 gallon can of water and a kayak on the starboard side. This is to offset all of the weight from my tools and spare parts (my battery bank only weighs 60 pounds).

I suspect that you will find that simply loading the galley and moving a few items around and you will find her balanced.

Good luck and that is a beautifully maintained and upgraded boat.

Jesse

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
By the way, feel free to ask any questions you may have. We have owned our 310 for 11 years lived on her for 8 years. We have sailed her around 20k nm from Maine to Grenada. Currently in the USVI on our home mooring waiting out the pandemic.

Fair winds,

Jesse

Jul 12, 2018
Catalina 27 Seattle

Judy B
Yes I have a picture but as I am not the boat owner prefer to not post it on this thread.

Jul 12, 2018
Catalina 27 Seattle
We have a 2000 310 and yes we have a port lists. We also have 4 6 volt golf cart batteries and tools and other supplies in the port storage, total weight around 400-500 lbs. When we need new batteries I'll be changing to Fire Fly this will reduce the weight by 160 lbs also check around as most of the storage on the 310 is on the port side so it not just batteries.
The firefly batteries are $543 and weigh 74 lbs. so you will be reducing the weight.https://www.emarineinc.com/Firefly-Oasis-12V-Group-31-Battery

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL