Sailing in the time of Coronavirus

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Although we are not going to sail, we will be spending an overnight on our boat, at berth.

Good opportunity to do spring servicing and clean up.

Fresh air and sunshine always boosts our spirits.:biggrin:

We may even broadcast in the near empty marina, patriotic music. Lifting spirit to the fisherman who launch there.

Our outside temperature now in upper 70s and sunshine.:)

Very soon we will set sail and enjoy the Spring.:clap:
Jim and Sue...

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
We may even broadcast in the near empty marina, patriotic music. Lifting spirit to the fisherman who launch there.
What do you mean by "broadcasting"? If you are thinking of playing load music, please consider that others may go there to enjoy the soothing sounds of the wind, waves and seabirds. The music that lifts your spirit might be annoying to someone else.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
What do you mean by "broadcasting"?
We always are considerate.;)

We have cockpit stereo speakers with volume control.

From a slight pleasant sound to a fairly loud "broadcast"
We normally get a :yeah: and never this...:cuss:

But you might have notice I said this...

We may even broadcast in the near empty marina
Plus we berth at the very end of the most remote finger pier...

We will not broadcast the national news in the marina or this thread.:badbad:

Go outside and enjoy...
Jim and Sue

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I dock in a marina located next to the Navy Training Center at Everett WA.

I love the sound of "Reveille" played, followed by the bugle call "To the Colors" in the morning, at which time the national flag is raised. It is followed by the Star Spangled Banner.

Then in the evening "Retreat" followed by "Taps" brings the day to a pleasant close.

But then I enjoy a good Sousa March as well... I wonder sometimes if I should have been a marching band musician. Trouble is they did not have a position for a piano player in the formation.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I’m guessing that these from away people don’t get offered a mailbox full of scallops!

The wealthy forge ahead with (slightly altered) travel plans in spite of 'stay at home' directives
No they don't. Meanwhile, locals (but not native - never will be, that's ok with me), are cooking lobster.

We just steamed 10 that weighed 13 pounds.

Fun ex-fishmonger fact and quiz: There is about 4 ounces of lobster meat in a 1 pound lobster, if you're a good picker that is.

We'll pick these as soon as they cool, and get how much actual lobster meat?

It's good to see some color in the backyard.

Lobsters in the backyard.JPG

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
No they don't. Meanwhile, locals (but not native - never will be, that's ok with me), are cooking lobster.

We just steamed 10 that weighed 13 pounds.

Fun ex-fishmonger fact and quiz: There is about 4 ounces of lobster meat in a 1 pound lobster, if you're a good picker that is.

We'll pick these as soon as they cool, and get how much actual lobster meat?

It's good to see some color in the backyard.

View attachment 176606
Take your time, don’t waste a bit of those beauties EH! ;)

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
nice back yard Tom. cedars over brook with seafood cooker and a spectacular purple martin house to control the skeeters in their season.
what time is dinner being served, we can all make it :)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
nice back yard Tom. cedars over brook with seafood cooker and a spectacular purple martin house to control the skeeters in their season.
what time is dinner being served, we can all make it :)
Thanks. They were great! We froze most.

My quiz was a trick question. The amount of lobster meat inside the shells depends on their shells. New shells (lobsters discard and grow new shells as the animals constantly grows in size), have the least amount of meat inside. The animal inside the oversized new shell, is surrounded by water.

A hard shell lobster means the animal has 'worn' the shell long enough to fill it from within and displace the water. The shell has thickened and hardened as well.

Mary Ann came in from the backyard sputtering about how her hands hurt (medium hard shells). I wasn't surprised to see she picked several pounds and filled a medium bowl.

Lobster meat picked .JPG

This is the reason you pay much more per pound for a hard shell vs a new shell lobster. The industry has convinced the public there's something special about a 'new shell', on your lobster. There is, water!

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Thanks. They were great! We froze most.

My quiz was a trick question. The amount of lobster meat inside the shells depends on their shells. New shells (lobsters discard and grow new shells as the animals constantly grows in size), have the least amount of meat inside. The animal inside the oversized new shell, is surrounded by water.

A hard shell lobster means the animal has 'worn' the shell long enough to fill it from within and displace the water. The shell has thickened and hardened as well.

Mary Ann came in from the backyard sputtering about how her hands hurt (medium hard shells). I wasn't surprised to see she picked several pounds and filled a medium bowl.

View attachment 176653

This is the reason you pay much more per pound for a hard shell vs a new shell lobster. The industry has convinced the public there's something special about a 'new shell', on your lobster. There is, water!
Learn something new every day! Can you tell the difference between hard and soft shell just by looking at them?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Learn something new every day! Can you tell the difference between hard and soft shell just by looking at them?
Lobstermen can but it's not easy so I used to separate the two in my live tank. A give away is if the shell has barnacles. That of course means the shell is pretty old. There are degrees between New and Hard shell so you get them between as well.

The bulk of new shells, sometimes referred to as shedders by the fishermen, take place at the same time that high tourism starts in the Northeast. The lobsters are active and hungry in this period usually starting in July. Perfect match, nature on high supply during high demand.

When this timing doesn't coincide it throws the whole market off and the price drops.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Perfect match, nature on high supply during high demand.

When this timing doesn't coincide it throws the whole market off and the price drops.
I think the “normal” ebb and flow of supply chain is likely messed up. I find myself looking for silver linings more than ever. Is the air I’m breathing cleaner because there is less pollution??

Perhaps your local fishermen can find new markets if “normal” consumption is down. A little creative online marketing to reach an audience they didn’t have before. Fuel costs should be down so at least there is that.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Very interesting posts (even if nothing to do with COVID-18). Really liked TomY’s backyard picture and would have never recognized the Purple Martin’s nest. Wondered what it was before it was called out by eagle-eye Jon Hanson!. Great birdhouse idea!

In the northwest the Purple Martins are Threatened or Endangered, or something like that. The Royal Victoria Yacht Club in British Columbia has some nests on the pilings at the outer end of their marina where the reciprocal boats come in and that’s how I learned about them for the first time. As I walked up to the Yacht Club Office past a piling with a nest on it I was constantly buzzed by the birds and the office explained the situation as I didn't know why. It’s really good that the Yacht Club does something like providing nests for them as being out on the water the nests are in a perfect location. Also learned that the nests require a certain amount of maintenance but forgot what the details were, and I don’t think it was so much about the bird house itself.

If only that idiot who brought over the starlings would have used the Purple Martins instead, our wildlife and eco system would have been in a much better condition.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Spring/Summer time on the Chesapeake was always a memorable time, a time for Soft Shells. The Blue Fin Crab as his most delightful and tasty state.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
The Royal Victoria Yacht Club in British Columbia has some nests on the pilings at the outer end of their marina
We have them on most of the pilings in our marina, as have the docks at New Castle Island Marine Park. They are great harvesters of mosquitoes. They are making a great come-back around here.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Very interesting posts (even if nothing to do with COVID-18). Really liked TomY’s backyard picture and would have never recognized the Purple Martin’s nest. Wondered what it was before it was called out by eagle-eye Jon Hanson!. Great birdhouse idea!

In the northwest the Purple Martins are Threatened or Endangered, or something like that. The Royal Victoria Yacht Club in British Columbia has some nests on the pilings at the outer end of their marina where the reciprocal boats come in and that’s how I learned about them for the first time. As I walked up to the Yacht Club Office past a piling with a nest on it I was constantly buzzed by the birds and the office explained the situation as I didn't know why. It’s really good that the Yacht Club does something like providing nests for them as being out on the water the nests are in a perfect location. Also learned that the nests require a certain amount of maintenance but forgot what the details were, and I don’t think it was so much about the bird house itself.

If only that idiot who brought over the starlings would have used the Purple Martins instead, our wildlife and eco system would have been in a much better condition.
I have to thank Jon for identifying that as a Purple Martin house. Truth is, we never knew much about it. It came home a few years ago,...

Mary Ann bought it from a roadside junk shop. A couple guys in an old truck dropped it off, in our side yard. It sat there for a few years.

Birdhouse June 2014_.jpg

Then one day, my strong son and I were asked to move in onto the side porch. It stayed there for a season or two. I thought it look great after a snow storm.

Birdhouse Summer 2019.jpg

Then one day, 3 strong young men moved it inside our house. It stayed right there, like the proverbial elephant, for at least a couple of years.

Xmas Eve 2017 5.jpg

Then finally, last summer, 3 really strong young men (I think it is getting heavier), moved it outside. I had been asked if I could make something to hold it up. I said, "I can do that, absolutely".

And from that day forward, we have really enjoyed the big old white birdhouse. It's lovely to look at. We may even get a bird or two in it now.
Birdhouse 2019 outside 2.jpg

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I made a martin house (although not nearly as elaborate as your mansion ;) ) mounted it in the yard and waited for them to arrive and decimate the insect population.
No one moved in. I had a elderly neighbour pull in the driveway one day to chat and he made a subtle comment that he thought I would have better results if I put it on a longer pole. I took his suggestion and built a hinged flagpole (so I could raise it with the house mounted and bring it down for periodic maintenance).

A few days later the martins came by to check it out and move in.

Based on your description of the weight of yours it would need a pretty beefy pole! Maybe you need to build a guest house version ;)

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Tom,
I hope you eat the tomalley!