cal 34 mast removal

Mar 7, 2020
cal 34 san carlos sonora
i need to remove the mast on cal 34 hull number 2. i took the side plate off the base of the mast above the compression post. i see a connection in side the mast. can someone explane the mast removal process from the compression post please

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@tunaholic with your Cal having a compression post, the mast would be “deck stepped”. A deck stepped mast sits atop the deck on a “mast step”. It stays in place due to the shrouds that hold it in place compressing it against the deck.

To remove the mast, you have the yard take hold of the mast with the crane, then you release all of the shrouds at the chain plates. Once released raise the mast about a foot. Under the mast you will find any wires the power the lights, the VHF antenna wire, and the radar if installed. You will need to disconnect the wires so that you can lift the mast away from the boat. There are several ways the boat wires can be attached.

Mar 7, 2020
cal 34 san carlos sonora
Mar 7, 2020
cal 34 san carlos sonora
thanks for the manual, general terms only not much help on the specific question

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I really can’t be very helpful as I’ve never stepped aboard a Cal 34.

However while I was googling and found the manual I read that some of the Cal 34’s had a metal arch incorporated into the mast step area. I guess this was a common approach across a number of the Cal models. Perhaps the mast is somehow connected to this piece???

It strikes me that it doesn’t make sense for the designer to bury the connector inside the mast. The deck step masts that I’ve seen typically have some type of pin or bolt to hold the base of the mast from slipping but they are all outside the mast where they are easy to deal with.

A few photos of what your attempting to deal with might help.

Mar 7, 2020
cal 34 san carlos sonora
thanks for your input. you are correct most masts are tabernackled outside of the mast. this one is not

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
This is what my 1974 CAL35C mast base looks like. The pipes are for the wires to penetrate the deck. The base has weep holes for the water that comes down the inside of the mast.
29772B73-FC20-4F6B-A61C-6A456E8308C8.jpeg1DA24955-094E-4B20-A45F-B4243DD8B910.jpeg

Feb 3, 2021
Jenson Marine Cal 2 - 34 Huatulco
I have a 1975 CAL 2 - 34 and unstepped my mast a few years back. Very simple. The shoe is bolted (or screwed) to the deck but the mast itself just sits freely on the shoe. Just disconnect the fixed rigging and lift out. Then, if you want, you can remove and clean up the shoe (I had mine powder coated). Really, the only tricky thing is to prepare and feed any cables though the hole in the mast shoe (which are likely siliconed in), without stretching or damaging them.