360 Vancouver Island 2020 Cruise Closed SEE 360 Vancouver Island 2022 Cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
Where'd you find them? In Mercia?

Monty Python references aside, were they raster charts?

When I did my Princess Louisa cruise, I was able to find free on-line electronic files for Canadian charts and printed them on my large format color printer to have backup paper charts on board.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Wow - hefty price on charts for the region! I as about to start looking to see what I could find. Thanks for pointing the way. When someone finds a good source, that isn't so bloody expensive, let us all know!

dj

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Where'd you find them? In Mercia?

Monty Python references aside, were they raster charts?
Yes, they were raster charts but I do not remember where I found them. I think it was the Canadian equivalent of NOAA.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Cruising into uncharted waters, at least not having the charts on your boat, is a sailors challenge to his thinking and cruising pocketbook. I have been exploring multiple ways to both comply with Canadian regulations and give myself a sense of comfort about where I am and what lurks beneath the pristine waters.

Here is what I have learned.

First your need to identify the way you like to interface charts.
  1. Chart Plotter,
  2. Computer/laptop (PC/MAC),
  3. Paper,
  4. iPad/Tablet etc.
Then which program
  1. OpenCPN
  2. Coastal Explorer
  3. iNax
  4. AquaMap
  5. Navionics
  6. My own hands and eyeballs
  7. On the web etc.
Navionics: You can buy Canadian charts for your chart plotter that can use Navionics for about $149 a year. I do not use Navionics so have no experience in using it in Canadian waters. They claim they uses Canadian purchased data to produce their product. They refine it and enhance it then sell this service.
B8DCB73F-207A-4BAC-BD09-9DD3C8E7399C.png
NauticalMind: I found this Canadian shop on line. They supply both digital and paper charts sourced from CHS. The paper charts (of which there are 90 covering North and South VanIsle ) selling for $20CDN a piece. The Digital data has been derived from the paper charts and comes in ENC or Raster format. They list the Raster Charts. They state that “Most of the CHS charts are available in ENC format” and are available by contacting them. The cost for a 2 year update chart service is $175CDN or $130USD. Their digital charts are in a format BSBv3 And are supported by Coastal Explorer, OpenCPN and other software or plotters that can import BSBv3 data.

RosePoint (Coastal Explorer) while charging $99 per year for charts and update service (for each side of Vancouver Island per year) brings with it the features of the CE software. This includes the ease of updating your charts on a frequent basis, the currents/tides/weather features of the software. Yet the annoyance of being PC (only) based software. They have a “iPad” version in beta. It will bring some convenience to users, yet it is far from ready as of this writIng.

I have been testing OpenCPN on my MAC and I am favorably impressed. I am using the NauticalMind purchased files. The software works very smoothly and is similar in GUI features to the more robust CE product. It works on both MacOS and PC. Some features like tides and currents are not yet operating, but for a program that was released in January for the MacOS it is exciting. It would serve to plot the trip around VanIsle Providing you get the Canadian Charts. Note that OpenCPN uses NOAA charts which are free to use, paid for by US tax payers.

AquaMap: You can get charts of the BC waters for about $25. They claim “These charts are derived from original material supplied by national hydrographic offices: with depths, spot soundings, navaids and all you need for a safe navigation.” I have no knowledge concerning the veracity of this claim.

iNavx: I have used this app on the iPad and it functions nicely. It uses the BSB raster charts, but I understand the use of Canadian charts must be purchased through an X-traverse Account. I have not explored this path. Here is a link to a decent review of iNavx. iNavX Marine Navigation for iOS review - GPS Tracklog

While I like the paper chart experience I enjoy the convenience and speed of computer chart plotting. The routing data I have posted here were a mix Coastal Explore, OpenCPN, and MapCarta.com images. I have the route file in GPX format and have transferred the waypoint data between CE and OpenCPN. I will be pleased to share this file for cruiser use. I plan to share Daily pdf files of our cruising plan, which will have waypoint data, bearings, distances and a basic orientation chart Based on the draft of our route that I have shared.

If you want additional waypoints included, like “Walter Cove burgers” MUST STOP HERE, sites please include them here or in a PM to me so I can put them into the mix. I hope this helps.

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
QUOTENavx: I have used this app on the iPad and it functions nicely. It uses the BSB raster charts, but I understand the use of Canadian charts must be purchased through an X-traverse Account. I have not explored this path. Here is a link to a decent review of iNavx. iNavX Marine Navigation for iOS review - GPS Tracklog/QUOTE

X-Travers has gotten out of the electronic chart business. iNavX now has their own chart store and has done their own deals with the chart publishers. Initially they didn't offer the official CHS (Canadian) charts but they sell them now. It's actually much simpler to buy and deploy them now than it used to be when they were using X-Traverse. The CHS charts aren't cheap, but they're the best.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
“Walter Cove burgers” MUST STOP HERE,
While not a MUST STOP it's always nice to have a meal where you don't have to cook or do the dishes! Walters Cove has an interesting, well marked entrance.

Oct 22, 2014
Michael... One of the personal challenges I deal with ( that reminds me I need to walk or run a few miles), I have never not stopped for a Good Burger.

In the Bay Area, while visiting clients, I was able to find all sorts of great places. Now sailing, I have discovered a few ”Must Stop” sites. I feel it is a duty to suffer a few questionable burgers in the quest of the perfect blending of meat, cheese, salad and bread.

Walter Cove it is.

Oct 22, 2014
@YVRguy I just went to the app and I see iNavx is using Navionics as their chart source now For US/Canada. Annual cost $80. No idea how they compare to the $149 charge for the plotter charts of just Canada. If identical then it shows exploring different channels for your data may take a smaller bite out of your cruising kitty. Maybe someone can share insight as to the same/differences in the charts.

As I indicated the Navionics online chart of Seymour Narrows above is usable because I have an interconnect connection. With the availability of wifi or Cell service one can have a chart available and not pay for the chart. If challenged by Canadian authorities, my interpretation of the regs, says your internet linked chart would not be “legal”. If you are channeling your inner James Dean rebel nature, go for it.

Here is another Internet dependent source... OpenSeaMap - The free nautical chart

Or this Canadian Hydrographic Service - Chart Index - Interactive Maps

On the West Side the lack of “internet” service limits your available resources. One can always reflect on the fact that the first explorers navigated the coast and inside passages with out maps, charts, or the internet....

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
@Terry Cox gave me a lead in Friday Harbor. During our 2019 Cruise, Ward and I ventured up through Ice and Snow to test the “Heavenly Burger” that motivates Terry to reroute his cruises...

View attachment 175720

Yummmmm!
Hi John, is that a double burger and fries? Must give tater tots a try next time over. Prefer them over fries. Brown Lantern has a Sunday burger that has a fried egg, bacon, cheese, etc, but only on Sundays. Unable to come up with a better purpose to go somewhere, than a burger and brew. Excluding the succulents, of course.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Last week I updated Navionics maps on my iPad to USA & Canada charts for $21.99 for two years. Provides charts for iPad and iPhone. Not that I would use it for a trip without other chart sources but I can look at details in John's planning.

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
@YVRguy I just went to the app and I see iNavx is using Navionics as their chart source now For US/Canada. Annual cost $80. No idea how they compare to the $149 charge for the plotter charts of just Canada. If identical then it shows exploring different channels for your data may take a smaller bite out of your cruising kitty. Maybe someone can share insight as to the same/differences in the charts.

As I indicated the Navionics online chart of Seymour Narrows above is usable because I have an interconnect connection. With the availability of wifi or Cell service one can have a chart available and not pay for the chart. If challenged by Canadian authorities, my interpretation of the regs, says your internet linked chart would not be “legal”. If you are channeling your inner James Dean rebel nature, go for it.

Here is another Internet dependent source... OpenSeaMap - The free nautical chart

Or this Canadian Hydrographic Service - Chart Index - Interactive Maps

On the West Side the lack of “internet” service limits your available resources. One can always reflect on the fact that the first explorers navigated the coast and inside passages with out maps, charts, or the internet....
@jssailem not sure I followed all of that but I can confirm that both Navionics and CHS charts are available from the iNavX chart store. I can't speak to Navionics but the CHS charts can be downloaded and stored on your phone. When you use a chart for the first time it will download from the store. After that, it's on your phone until you delete it. I simply used the option to download every chart right away. Takes up a fair bit of space but it solves the problem of needing connectivity. If you use CHS there are two series you need:
- Vancouver Island West
- Vancouver Island East

There is a pretty lengthy thread on this from a few months ago that can be found at here. (At the beginning of the thread, iNavX had not yet been licensed to sell CHS charts but that changes half way through and there's a pretty thorough comparison between CHS and Navionics charts. Bottom line, there are pros/cons to both. Navionics is much cheaper and in some ways more user friendly for recreational boaters. CHS is more expensive but much more detailed and ultimately, the official record. CHS charts are required by law to be carried by commercial shipping in Canada.

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
Folks I haven't been on this thread for a while so apologies if this has been discussed:
Another thing circumnavigators will want to be aware of is area Whisky Golf near Nanaimo. This area is frequently used for Naval exercises so boaters need to confirm it isn't in use before transiting the area on your way north.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
When are you guys doing it?
Planning to leave Victoria about 15 June. I thought we might be crossing paths if you were leaving latter but it doesn't look like it from that time frame.

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
Planning to leave Victoria about 15 June. I thought we might be crossing paths if you were leaving latter but it doesn't look like it from that time frame.
Unfortunately I have not retired yet so I need to stick to a vacation window and we will be pacing to complete the trip in 1 month. Otherwise we might have planned to coordinate with you all. Nonetheless this thread is helpful for our planning so I appreciate being a part of it.

Oct 22, 2014
Doug, I kind of retired last December. I would never have been able to take this trip otherwise.

Michael and I talked in vague terms a year ago February. I am sure he said... Ya, Right. In your dreams John... But sometimes dream do come true.

I am very fortunate that Michael and Bev have agreed to go with us. It is one thing to do an adventure alone, it is so much more fun to go as a group. At least this way you get some one to help laugh with you at the ooopps experiences.

If you want a copy of the chart route GPX file let me know ( PM me an email address). It is a common importable file format For most plotters or chart software.

You are correct about the WG zone. I plotted our route to the west side of the zone. I think we are planning a Wednesday or Thursday AM to be near the WG zone. Maybe the Navy crews will be sleeping in... :biggrin:

Our schedule is flexible a couple of days one way or the other, but currently I think I’ll be leaving my home port of Everett the 12th. We will be in Victoria on the afternoon of the 13th. Celebrate a cruise beginning Saturday evening the 13th and start the cruise Sunday morning the 14th. That would put us in Montague Harbour Sunday evening of the 14th.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
We'll see you in May at Roch Harbor that is if Trump lets us in to go over the trip as Les will also be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.