Circumnavigate in a Hunter

Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 49 2 San Diego,Ca
Ahoy fellow sailors Newby sailor here about to open up a can of worms.
Due to a cancer scare where I thought I might die but not to worry I’m healthy
I’m selling everything retiring and setting sail for roughly 10 years or more.lifelong dream.
I’m 54 so I figured I have a few years left.
Due to budget etc I should be able to get a Hunter 450,455, 460 or 466 for my voyage.
This seems to be a good sweet spot for me and a future girlfriend/1st mate to have space on and handle.
I’ve looked at a lot of boat brands(I currently have a 84 H31).
So 2 questions for people with Hunters!!
Centre cockpit vs aft cockpit having a hard time deciding, pros cons etc
Also info about how your boat has weathered coped with long/short passages?
Also any other tips would be useful.
Opening the floodgates lol.
thanks in advance
Scotty Sailor

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
So glad you're healthy. A friend of mine once said you can always make more money but you can't make more time.
I would go with the center cockpit since that puts you where the motion of the boat is least assuming you are thinking of offshore passages. Regarding how the modern Hunters handle weather I can only say that in a overnight race with weather my H356 would get the stern pushed around quite a bit going downwind in waves. It was to the point that helms people would tire in only a few hours. The autopilot, even if allowed to use it, would not have worked. A few posters here suggested having the rudder replaced/modified to be balanced (Meaning there is rudder stock forward of the rudder post.)
I don't know your budget but dockage and everything else is pretty prices for larger boats. If you plan to anchor a lot be aware that the Hunters and other light hulls with high freeboard sail around on their anchors quite a bit. You'll want top notch ground tackle.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
To be blunt, there are a number of considerations when voyaging far more important than cockpit design. Rigging, tankage, storage capacity, sail storage, electrical capacity, charging capacity, self-steering equipment, etc... as well as your own ability will all effect your plans far more than anything else.

Cockpit location becomes a consideration only in terms of visibility, motion and movement around the deck.

Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 49 2 San Diego,Ca
So glad you're healthy. A friend of mine once said you can always make more money but you can't make more time.
I would go with the center cockpit since that puts you where the motion of the boat is least assuming you are thinking of offshore passages. Regarding how the modern Hunters handle weather I can only say that in a overnight race with weather my H356 would get the stern pushed around quite a bit going downwind in waves. It was to the point that helms people would tire in only a few hours. The autopilot, even if allowed to use it, would not have worked. A few posters here suggested having the rudder replaced/modified to be balanced (Meaning there is rudder stock forward of the rudder post.)
I don't know your budget but dockage and everything else is pretty prices for larger boats. If you plan to anchor a lot be aware that the Hunters and other light hulls with high freeboard sail around on their anchors quite a bit. You'll want top notch ground tackle.
Thanks great response. My budget has enough room in it to add necessities like good ground tackle and a possible alteration of rudder interesting subject.

Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 49 2 San Diego,Ca
To be blunt, there are a number of considerations when voyaging far more important than cockpit design. Rigging, tankage, storage capacity, sail storage, electrical capacity, charging capacity, self-steering equipment, etc... as well as your own ability will all effect your plans far more than anything else.

Cockpit location becomes a consideration only in terms of visibility, motion and movement around the deck.
Blunt is good I’m looking for advice and will soak it in.
One of the reasons I’m looking at the big hunters 450/460 is they seem to have good tankage 100 hundred gallons of fuel 200 gallons of water. I’m very handy so will be doing a lot of labor myself like adding more batteries, installing solar/wind etc.
Any advice is appreciated I’m not a snowflake. Lol
Looking at a windvane as autopilot/extra rudder. Etc

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
If a newbie sailor, how is it that you evidently have a Hunter 31? How much actual sailing experience?

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 49 2 San Diego,Ca
If a newbie, how is it that you evidently have a Hunter 31? How much actual sailing experience?
Took my first sailing lesson June 1st 2019 bought a 69 Bristol Corsair a week later sailed every other weekend off Dana Point, Took ASA 101,103,104 &105.
Been chartering with friends on boats upto 40’.
Sold Bristol 2 months ago and bought the Hunter in San Francisco to get more experience been working on it have not sailed it yet. Taking a 40 footer from SD to Catalina for a 4 day trip in April.
I’ve done lots of sports in my life some professional/semi, have realised I’m a total rookie when it comes to sailing.
Help me Kings Gambit.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Scotty,
I can't speak to Hunters specifically, but I'm sure they can do what you want them to do. As for the cockpit and other considerations for cruising, I have experience with both and have no real preference except when trolling. However, your future 1st mate may feel more secure in a center cockpit. The stern of a sailboat when there is no land in sight can be unnerving for some.

To be blunt, there are a number of considerations when voyaging far more important than cockpit design.
Pay attention to Don, these are words of wisdom. That's not to say, don't pick the cockpit you want. You can have it all, in this case, if you take your time, do your research, and take a test sail in each.

You got to start somewhere, right?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Scotty. Congrats on surviving the scare. Happy that you have all this ASA training. It is perhaps helpful to be able to know what you do not know.

Have you read any of the information posted by John and Phyllis on Morganscloud at "Attainable Adventure Cruising"?
Attainable Adventure Cruising — The Offshore Voyaging Reference Site

I think with your present skills you will find their insight helpful. They have prepared boats and sailed in all kinds of weather. They can give you insight into what has worked and what has not.

You say you want a "Big Hunter" and that you and a girlfriend will be the whole crew... How do you plan to manage the sails for such a big boat by your self, I mean taking them off the boat, carrying them and stowing them below, while your crew is occupied in the cabin...

Even being young (54) and strong, a large sail - in the case of the Hunter 450 at 415sq ft, can be unwieldy. It is one reason that many "bluewater" - Ocean passage - boats have smaller sails that can be handled by a single crew. As you look at boats, you might want to check out the boat's sails and see what it is like hauling the sail up onto the deck to put on the boom/mast. Then imagine you are doing it at night in a squall trying to get the sails down and into the cabin before the winds get much bigger.

Here Perry, is very nice in his comments. With the numbers being "a little Low" not Oh My G... Who designed this boat.

It sounds to me like the boat would be great fun in the Caribbean, riding at anchor with a party going on.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Centre cockpit vs aft cockpit
More main Rear berth cabin head space = Centre cockpit

More Main Salon room = aft cockpit

Both 450 and 460 are Class A boats. So is my 430.

One H430 owner took 20 foot seas [ more that 4 hours] with no boat problems.

That owner told me, you can not put the rails in the water on a beam reach.
Have fun looking...
Jim...

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
Blunt is good I’m looking for advice and will soak it in.
One of the reasons I’m looking at the big hunters 450/460 is they seem to have good tankage 100 hundred gallons of fuel 200 gallons of water. I’m very handy so will be doing a lot of labor myself like adding more batteries, installing solar/wind etc.
Any advice is appreciated I’m not a snowflake. Lol
Looking at a windvane as autopilot/extra rudder. Etc
Most cruisers that spend most of the time away from marinas, have installed a water maker. Especially those that cruise in areas that the quality of water in suspect. I would not be too concerned about a sailboat with moderate water tankage.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
My experience indicates - He wasn't trying.
In a private PM, he said the main spilled the winds to much and the well balanced H430 quickly righted itself.

I have seen a video, done on first prototype H430, with full sails in the water, forced down by a crane 6' under, then released.
It did one mini-overshot before returning to neutral.
____
As you pointed out, much more to consider, but with the Companion Way closed, no water could flood the boat, even if flipped.

Class A rated...
Jim...