Halyard selection

Jan 22, 2007
- - Marina Del Ray
We need a new main halyard for our 22 year old 45’ Hunter Passage 450. Not racing, just local/coastal cruising. Trying to figure out what size is best - 11 or 12 mm, 7/16 or 1/2”. And what material. Thanks much. C

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
I would go for the 10mm, way stronger than what you need, you could probably get away with 8mm, smaller in the hand but lighter on the wallet

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
If you go with halyards that are smaller than what you currently have, Check to make sure that the rope clutches are compatible smaller diameter line. Clutches are made to hold specific diameter lines.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
What @DrJudyB says...:plus:

Of equal consideration, you are talking about a halyard. You will want to be sure that the size is compatible with the size of your mast sheaves. Too big and they jam or provide friction making raising and lowering a sail a problem.

Jan 22, 2007
- - Marina Del Ray
What @DrJudyB says...:plus:

Of equal consideration, you are talking about a halyard. You will want to be sure that the size is compatible with the size of your mast sheaves. Too big and they jam or provide friction making raising and lowering a sail a problem.
Thanks. I might go with 11 mm or 7/16”. The’re just about the same size. It’s either one of these or 1/2”.

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
Now that you have the size selected, double braid polyester with a dyneema core would be one choice to consider for your application. Low stretch but still good handling characteristics.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Racing doesn't really matter. You want a halyard that doesn't stretch much. And I mean very little. A halyard is a sail control and if it stretches in gusts or higher winds your sails won't perform as well making your boat more tender and likely to misbehave. I would venture to say that the best money spent on running rigging is on halyards. Runner up might be reefing lines.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
And I usually order my halyards with a shackle spliced on one end. That makes a nice clean installation.