Hypalon eroded am I screwed?

Aug 22, 2019
n/a n/a Galveston
So I thought I was getting a good on craigs list on this ab inflatable, seller said it had a leak but I did not inspect as well as I should have. Looks like it is down to the fabric in some spots. Your thoughts?

Attachments

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I patched holes in an old Achilles 12 footer using the patch material and 5200 as an adhesive. Did it inn the 80's and it's still holding. Something to look into

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Does it hold air? Does it have an obvious leak? Does it have slow leaks? Are you worried about cosmetics?

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
@scuba201 Just to add to my prior advice -- if you have leaks I would start by inflating it very firm, then use a solution (in a spray bottle) consisting of a few drops of dish soap in water. Spray it all over and look for bubbles to find your leaks. Then make the decision whether to paint or patch.
OR
If the wear in the photo you posted is widespread you may want to consider finding another dinghy in better shape.

Aug 22, 2019
n/a n/a Galveston
Leaking as expected, I think I am going to try the TUFF SRC product, and an interior sealer as recommended by AB inflatables.

Attachments

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I had good luck with this for pinhole type leaks:

You might try it and then put a patch / patches on the particularly bad spots if necessary.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
See if anybody in your area recertifies emergency, inflatable life rafts and ask them for an estimate for repairs. They can usually replace fouled sections of the tubes and render a longer lasting repair than paints and coatings. It depends on the price you paid for the boat and the amount of damage whether it is reasonable to repair.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Obviously the degradation is on the inside of the tube, so no amount of paint will do much good. If not too extensive, a patch or two might work for a while, but once the inside of the tube begins to degrade, you will be chasing leaks forever.
If you have the finances and you feel this dink is worth it, inflatable/liferaft service shops could help as mentioned above, but in my opinion, you'd be throwing good money after bad. Call this one a (hopefully) not too expensive lesson and look for another inflatable.
I always inflate my inflatables to the hardness of a basketball, and operate them that way. I'd suggest you do that when checking out an inflatable to buy. If the seller freaks out and won't let you do that, then walk away. Nothing ruins an inflatable , RIB or otherwise, quicker than not operating it fully inflated.

Aug 22, 2019
n/a n/a Galveston
Three coats of base coat down on the worn areas. Plan is to let it cure for 24 hours, reinflate, check for leaks, and then cover the entire tube with base coat, cure, then top coats weather permitting. I am very happy with the way it is looking so far.

Attachments

Aug 22, 2019
n/a n/a Galveston