kitchen appliance power

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
When we acquired our boat it came with a 1000 watt inverter. Started looking for a coffee maker to use during the repositioning. Had wanted to use a Keurig. Research showed it required 1500 watts. Oops, too much. Started looking at drip coffee pots. Joe DiMaggio would be proud... The Mr Coffee was rated at 700 watts. Worked just great. My chief concern is the glass carafe. We got some bubble wrap and secure the pot within..

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Oh... Well that is a horse of a different color...

I understand. I have a 4 cup coffee maker I found on line for less than $30 bucks. When I use home ground Sumatra Beans, it makes the most delicious liquid in the morning. The draw back is it requires AC power. When not connected I heat water on the stove and use a drip cone. Same idea just more moving parts, namely me.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Even though this thread was originally started in 2015 and resurected by a spammer ( now banned ) it's a coffee discussion so I'll throw my 2cents in. Bought this last year and has worked great. Makes 10 cups and the carafe keeps it warm for couple hours. Only uses some propane to boil the water.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
To be the contrarian here, we actually do use the electric coffee maker aboard on our mooring. We do immediately transfer the coffee into a carafe. I have found that it's better (for us) to save the CNG cooking fuel by not using our percolator or Melita although we do use the percolator while underway. We also use a pressure cooker quite a bit when not grilling.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I'm usually the sole coffee drinker onboard. I've found the Italian Mocha pot is a great design for a boat. I use a small Bialetti my son gave me. I got hooked on a smaller, stronger cup of coffee while traveling in Italy. Not a true Espresso maker, a Moka pot brews coffee 2 to 3 times stronger than drip.

For the boat, it has a very low center of gravity so it doesn't tip or move around the stove top. There is no filter to use, all you need is ground coffee. It takes little fuel as the boiler section is small and designed for a small flame. And it's easy to clean and of course, unbreakable stainless steel.

Bialetti_.jpg

Fresh water goes in the bottom chamber, ground coffee goes in a basket that fits on top. The main body is screwed onto the bottom.

The difference in how coffee is brewed is right here: Once the bottom chamber begins to boil gently (low heat, again), it is forced up into a pipe and then through the ground coffee. Once through the coffee and screen, the quickly brewed coffee is forced up another pipe and empty's through the top (brown foam flowing center - photo), into the upper chamber, which holds the brewed coffee.
Bialetti brewed.jpg