Catalina 22 MkII Mast Raising System

Sep 25, 2019
2002 Cat 22 MkII Lake Somerville
Just purchased a "new to me" 2002 Catalina 22 MkII. Came with the factory supplied mast raising system that includes a gin pole, baby stays and all the block n' tackle. It appears however that I'm missing the "bushing" located inside the mast which the gin pole slides onto once inserted into the hole near the bottom of the mast. Does anyone by chance have a picture of that "bushing" so I can fabricate one if Catalina Direct doesn't supply?

Thanks in advance...!
Zinger88
~~ _/) ~

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2019
As a follow-up...Catalina Direct has the nylon "plug" which is thru bolted to the inside of the mast and the gin pole then slides on to it in order to stabilize the base of the gin pole while in operation. The part is not listed or shown on the CD website but the part # is Z3390 for $6.20. I'll post photos once I'm able to take some....

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Sorry for the scarcity of info. We aren't ignoring you, there's just almost no other MkII owners here anymore. There never were more than one or two. The joys of owning a rare boat! ;)

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Catalina 22 13425 A driveway in Pittsburgh
I have a '86 Mk2 but I just use the main sheet to pull up the mast by the fore stay

Isnt a '86 a mk2?

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Plenty of "New Design" folks here though, welcome to the best sailing forums on the web. You can't beat the C-22 crowd for generosity, friendship and shared knowledge.

Sep 25, 2019
Sorry for the scarcity of info. We aren't ignoring you, there's just almost no other MkII owners here anymore. There never were more than one or two. The joys of owning a rare boat! ;)
Thanks Gene. Being a new Cat 22 owner and new to the forum I'm reading as many postings as possible. Always enjoy your writings and CaptDon01's insight from a MkII perspective. Is he no longer participating on the forum anymore? Anyone know what happened to him?

Zinger88
~~ _/) ~

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Thanks Gene. Being a new Cat 22 owner and new to the forum I'm reading as many postings as possible. Always enjoy your writings and CaptDon01's insight from a MkII perspective. Is he no longer participating on the forum anymore? Anyone know what happened to him?

Zinger88
~~ _/) ~
He developed some kind of shoulder problem I believe, sold his MkII and bought a little trawler. I think he was doing the Great Loop, last I heard.

Sep 25, 2019
Thanks for the update on CaptDon01. Unfortunately it looks like our forum lost a very knowledgeable Catalina ambassador....

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2019
Thought I'd update with a photo of the nylon "plug" or "stud" utilized with the MkII mast raising system. This was the part that I was missing and was able to purchase from Catalina Direct (part #Z3390). The bottom of the gin pole slides down over the stud which provides it with a rigid base while in operation. The photo shows the bottom of the gin pole raised up off the stud for explanation purposes.

I must say...the MkII mast raising system has worked like a charm. I can easily raise and lower the mast single handed with no stress or struggles. Kuddo's to Catalina on design. Don't know enough as to why they stopped providing but assume liabilities from operator improper setup and use was a big reasoning. :wahwah:

Mast Plug_2.jpg