Need new Genoa? Which one?

Apr 9, 2016
Catalina 310 South Haven, MI
Hi all. I am a new member having purchased my Catalina 310, Mischief, last July. I am very happy with it but when I was taking down the sails for the winter, I noticed a two foot tear near a seam on the jib. I am having Quantum Sails look at it to see if it is fixable. I am assuming it is not since I believe it is the original sail (2002) and the tear is on the sail cloth itself, not on the seam. I have not heard back from Quantum on 3 weeks but when they tell me I need a new sail and quote me the price, I want to be ready with something to compare it to. Therefore, I have sought out quotes from North Sails and Precision Sails. NS wants about $2300 and Precision about $1200. Each are for their lowest priced 135% cruising genoa.
Does anyone have any experience with any of these companies? Can you recommend any or all of them? Should I be wary of the low Precision price?
Also, if Quantum determines that the sail is fixable should I even bother or just get a new one?
Finally, is there any reason I should keep the old sail?
Thanks everyone.
Happy to be a new member,
Gary

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Hi all. I am a new member having purchased my Catalina 310, Mischief, last July. I am very happy with it but when I was taking down the sails for the winter, I noticed a two foot tear near a seam on the jib. I am having Quantum Sails look at it to see if it is fixable. I am assuming it is not since I believe it is the original sail (2002) and the tear is on the sail cloth itself, not on the seam. I have not heard back from Quantum on 3 weeks but when they tell me I need a new sail and quote me the price, I want to be ready with something to compare it to. Therefore, I have sought out quotes from North Sails and Precision Sails. NS wants about $2300 and Precision about $1200. Each are for their lowest priced 135% cruising genoa.
Does anyone have any experience with any of these companies? Can you recommend any or all of them? Should I be wary of the low Precision price?
Also, if Quantum determines that the sail is fixable should I even bother or just get a new one?
Finally, is there any reason I should keep the old sail?
Thanks everyone.
Happy to be a new member,
Gary
We used Precision last year to get a 115% Genny with a Yankee cut and raised 8 inches to clear the rail down wind. It was a great process and the sail is terrific. We highly recommend Precision.

The process will involve taking measurements of your boat. They have videos that show the correct way to take the measurements.

good luck and fair winds,

Jesse

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I got a replacement 115% for my O'Day 25 that was just fantastic! It was their low cost sail but for a 1976 boat with a new old stock North Main I had a totally new boat. My sails on my 2003 are also original but I plan to do sail replacement in a year or so and I will probably go back to Precision for their Black Friday sale deals. Precision will want to setup a time to talk in detail with you about how you plan to use the boat and the conditions you sail in before they design anything. Keep in mind that this is their biggest sale and they get backup on sail orders, mine was 2-3 weeks later then they quoted.

I'm considering a Code 0 right now from them to help fill in some options for us on low wind days, the price is very good on a single color at under $1700.

Also if you need more options SBO carries Doyle, which I like for their integrated main sail cover option, but it is pricey.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hi Gary. I take it you are new to buying sails for the Catalina.

They are like all sail boats. You need to find a sail maker that can fit the sail to your boat and your price point. Interesting that you asked Quantum for repair and then went to North/Sail and Precision for new quotes.

I have experience with North/Sail. We have several options here in the Pacific NW. I bought a main sail from them last year. Looked at Ullman Sail, Lee Sail, Doyle Sail, three local sail lofts, and North/Sail. Decided on NS because I liked the local manager of the loft. The loft is readily accessible. The Main fit and improved my boat handling. I am negotiating with them for head sails.

You will need to find a sail loft and persons that give you confidence and a fair price for what you want. It is a step of faith. Look at @Jackdaw he just announced he made up with and went back to his sail guy for a new sail.

Buying a sail is a personal experience.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I so wish we actually had sail loft options here.

And also welcome to the Catalina 310 group!

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
We have used Al Declerq for many years and boats-He was with Doyle, than UK, Than North, Than Back to Doyle.
He owns his own loft and we have found him to be honest and responsible and he loves to help customers.
When he was with North we bought a new 135 from him and have been very happy.
We are pleased with Doyle or North. Al is at the Doyle detroit loft, They are also having a sale.
You can sell your old sail or send to a company that can make bags out of it and they will make a free bag for you.
Al would know what size to cut yours unless you had something unique like Jesse.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
We have used Al Declerq for many years and boats-He was with Doyle, than UK, Than North, Than Back to Doyle.
He owns his own loft and we have found him to be honest and responsible and he loves to help customers.
When he was with North we bought a new 135 from him and have been very happy.
We are pleased with Doyle or North. Al is at the Doyle detroit loft, They are also having a sale.
You can sell your old sail or send to a company that can make bags out of it and they will make a free bag for you.
Al would know what size to cut yours unless you had something unique like Jesse.
i was up visiting (buying a spinnaker) Al and Sara yesterday. he has built me 14 sails over the last 35 years. was thrilled with everyone of them. yeah, i'm a huge fan of his product.
i have 4 sailboats at this time. the first thing i do with a sailboat is put new sails on them. i fix the other things after that.

1574373596615.png

Al built these sails for me. we've been buds a long time

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
''I believe it is the original sail (2002) and the tear is on the sail cloth itself, not on the seam."
Your problem is very similar to mine. My 2001 130% North Sail Genoa had a tear on the cloth which I had patched-up with sail tape. Took it to the sail loft I have used for years and his first question was: ''What are your sail plans for the next few seasons ? He then showed me how thin the cloth had become and other areas where it was about to split, and explained that any repair would be a ''patch-up'' job and that if used in heavy weather the sail would likely tear elsewhere. So to quote the sail maker ''Basically it is a case of pay me know or pay me later but with the kind of sailing you do, it more than likely that you'll need a new sail within a year or two, and that is if this one lasts that long''. Just to be on the prudent side although I do trust my sail maker, I checked with other lofts in my area. Just about the same story. I realized that in the years that I have had that sail, I've sailed close to 30,000 nm. So it has served me well beyond the normal expectations. It thus became a no-brainer and yesterday I ordered the new sail to be delivered in the Spring. Good luck in your decision process.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
Lat year we got new sails for our 2000 310 from North Sails, they took over 2 hour taking all the measurements. We are pleased with the cut and performace of these sails. Price for both was $7500 CND or $5600 US.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
I bought a 135 from Precision two years ago and was pleased with the sail and the service.

If you want to stay in first.....you need more than one sail depending on wind, conditions and etc.

paulj
:hook2:

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
A very illuminating and interesting discussion on co.com for those of you who might be in the market for a new jib.

Big Jib or Small Jib

Please read all three pages. Enjoy.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Schurr Sails in Pensacola FL made a new main for my C-310 when the 15 yr old OEM main blew out so much it wouldn't furl into the mast. I was surprised at the increase in boat speed. He also made the 155 Genoa for the previous owner and has patched it and reworked the seams for me. Hunter Riddle, who owns the loft and makes the sails, is a sailor, knows what he is about, and is competitive in price. I'm going to cry when he decides to give it up.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
A very illuminating and interesting discussion on co.com for those of you who might be in the market for a new jib.

Big Jib or Small Jib

Please read all three pages. Enjoy.
Based on what I read in the thread Stew referenced and personal experience, I would think it interesting to try a 95%. On the upper Potomac River you tend to have to tack a lot and an easier to handle 95 might be a lot more fun.