Hunter 30 cherubini cruisers

Nov 6, 2019
Hunter Hunter 30 Galveston
I'm a little tired of the cherubini's being ragged on about there blue water capabilities. Maybe it's the captains. I have 32,000 circumnavigation nautical miles on Miss Netty my beloved 1981 cherubini Hunter. Not one time did it feel unsafe or incapable. So I don't understand the ragging. I had a Pearson wanderer and I felt it was the worse boat I ever had. So I believe we each have our own brand we prefer, so let's not shit on any brand that floats is my moto.its sailing weather get up and get out into the big blue. God bless all

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Back in the Cherubini era they did not know how much fiberglass was needed to make a strong hull so the result was that they seriously overbuilt those hulls. Besides the plastic portholes the boats were well built and had good stability. Production boats were not designed with circumnavigation in mind but with some modifications and upgrades they make good cruisers.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I'm a little tired of the cherubini's being ragged on about there blue water capabilities. Maybe it's the captains. I have 32,000 circumnavigation nautical miles on Miss Netty my beloved 1981 cherubini Hunter. Not one time did it feel unsafe or incapable. So I don't understand the ragging. I had a Pearson wanderer and I felt it was the worse boat I ever had. So I believe we each have our own brand we prefer, so let's not shit on any brand that floats is my moto.its sailing weather get up and get out into the big blue. God bless all
Is yours "stock" (bulk heads and infastructure)

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Well, I agree with Trusailor. And mine has been upgraded in a number of ways, including new standing rigging twice.
Mike, my bulkheads are stock, sort of. Why do you ask?

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
I've been in a number of situations over the years in my '77 h30. While I have, on occasion, felt I may need a change of shorts, Fraulein II has always come through like a champ. Good ol' boat.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
I haven’t heard much blue water Cherubini bashing on this site in recent years. And the line-up has solid designs, and good history on blue water. I would want to make pretty much the same modifications on any production boat I planned to take across an ocean.

It’s worth saying the all of the Cherubini Hunter designs have capsize screens below 2. This shows that the designer was free to design the hulls for blue water conditions.

Our 20 years of cruising on our ‘77 h27 has been on the Great Lakes - never more than 8 hours from a safe port. But our boat has handled everything that has come our way with ease.

We have enjoyed chartering on other makes 16 times, and enjoyed them all except one that was poorly maintained. None has stood out as clearly better for coastal cruising. These included:

Catalina 30, 34, 36
Hunter 340, 36
Beneteau 34, 35, 36
C&C 30
Fantasy 37
Moorings 45 Catamaran
Freedom 34

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Interesting thread. I have a 1977 Cherubini Hunter 30. Now, I do like my boat, and it sails far better than I'd ever expected, but looking at it, I've never felt it was really blue water material. For example, on the stern I have two air vents facing backwards that have no way to be closed. If I was getting following seas, I'd be taking in notable amounts of water through them into the back of my boat. The high freeboard, notably the cabin top, is high and would be hard to work with in storm conditions. The bow has OK, but a bit difficult access.

For where I am, Lake Champlain, it's pretty close to a perfect boat. If I were to head south and go to the Caribbean, perfect. But to head off and start crossing oceans, I'd want to make some modifications.

I'd want to put in dorades. Make it possible to seal those back vents. Change out the windows, change things with the anchor locker, redesign the companionway, upgrade the rigging and I'm not sure what else.

But I hate to say it... You guys are getting me thinking. My original plan was to finish getting this boat in shape for resale, then buy what I consider a more blue water capable boat... But as they say, the best boat to go with, is the one you have...

I have to admit, I absolutely love the old YSB 12 in this boat. It's way faster than I'd expected sailing on all points of wind. You people are dangerous...

dj

Dec 28, 2015
Well, I agree with Trusailor. And mine has been upgraded in a number of ways, including new standing rigging twice.
Mike, my bulkheads are stock, sort of. Why do you ask?
Trying to figure out the differences kept bringing up bulkhead construxtion and attachement points (tabbing). Comparing our boats to true blue water boats the bulkheads look more integrated and numerous.

Dec 28, 2015
I've been in a number of situations over the years in my '77 h30. While I have, on occasion, felt I may need a change of shorts, Fraulein II has always come through like a champ. Good ol' boat.
Although mine looks ok, i question the rudder post to hull structure. Have you had any issues with yours?

Last edited:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Interesting question. I did a complete epoxy barrier coat on my hull this past spring and examining the skeg hung rudder, I found nothing that would have sent up a red flag. What makes you question this?

dj

Dec 28, 2015
Interesting question. I did a complete epoxy barrier coat on my hull this past spring and examining the skeg hung rudder, I found nothing that would have sent up a red flag. What makes you question this?

dj
Nothing specific other than the mechanism is a vulneribility. Being skeg hung lessens it for sure. I'm not a fan of the upper wood bushing that supports the end of the tube or the wood stearing stops but I guess simple also has its advantages.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Looking at a side profile of the H30, one might want to add in a support piece, as drawn below in red:
side profile.png

May 12, 2004
In addition to how structurally sound the boat may be for an ocean crossing, we also have to look at stowage and tankage capabilities. 12.5 gallons of fuel is not much as is 33 gallons of water not enough. Ok, you say, we can always carry jerry jugs. Not a good idea strapped to the deck in a blow. Stow it down below and where do you put the rest of your stuff. Yes you can always get a watermaker and load up on solar panels for battery power but you can't produce more diesel. Guess you could also go the electric motor way. Lots of variables to consider for an off-shore venture. IMHO, better to start with a boat built for off-shore use.

Dec 28, 2015
Anyone replace the I beam in the bilge yet? That's my next project.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Mine is actually in good shape, although I have to get in there and paint it.

My understanding is you have to drop the mast to relieve pressure. I know a couple folk who have done this, replacing with a stainless steel I beam. But I've not had to do it.

dj

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Anyone replace the I beam in the bilge yet? That's my next project.
Lot’s of people. Seems to be the most common issue on these boats. Do a search and you will find a number of discussions on that topic.

May 12, 2004
My understanding is you have to drop the mast to relieve pressure.
Not necessarily. We loosened the rigging, placed jacks and 2x4s in the cabin against the compression post, (without removing the woodwork), and put pressure on cabin top to prevent sagging , removed and replaced the I-beam. Now, if you have to beef up the mast step on the outside, a mast removal is required.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I had to replace my bilge mast step 20 years ago. Then I met a "former" Hunter 30 owner who lost his boat to a hurricane. He was parting out the boat and sold me, among other things, his stainless steel step. I don't think I'll need a new one for my boat in the next 20 years so...
Send me a PM if you're interested.
And Mike, my bulkheads are tabbed for the chain plates.

Dec 28, 2015
I had to replace my bilge mast step 20 years ago. Then I met a "former" Hunter 30 owner who lost his boat to a hurricane. He was parting out the boat and sold me, among other things, his stainless steel step. I don't think I'll need a new one for my boat in the next 20 years so...
Send me a PM if you're interested.
And Mike, my bulkheads are tabbed for the chain plates.
The tabbing isnt factory is it? I've done a little research on the step replacement. I'm confident it isn't a huge project. Just complicated by not having access to my shop while doing it. I'm going to go with solid aluminun block left over from a project. Should work well. I'll try to document it for a write up.