Rode Courtesy

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Keeping in mind the 5-7 rule..... what do you normally go with in a well sheltered cove, little to no wave action and variable winds limited to say 5-10, sand bottom? I'm sitting in Blakely Harbor, Wa across from Seattle, by myself. First in the cove and set with 6:1 equaling 200ft. Guy comes up near me, blocks my view of Seattle and sets with his boat ending about 75ft from my anchor. I know this because I pulled up to move away. I told him I had 200 out when he circled by with a loud "200?" coming from him.
Now I know more is better but in limited anchorage is 6:1 with the given conditions unreasonable? The dude was a douchebag because he had plenty of room elsewhere bit he wanted the view but it brings up the question of "rode courtesy.
20190823_184250.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Start playing hip hop music as loud as possible. Maybe throw in some Mariachi music full volume to mix it up a bit.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
The douchbag in question may or may not be in the picture. I would like to enjoy the evening also (that's why I'm there) no music. As I pulled up my anchor close enough to see what they were eating I told him "don't worry, I'll move, enjoy your dinner" he put his hands up like what was he suppose to do. I haven't been doing this long but I know that's not what you do.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Play "Danny Boy"

I know a guy, retired preacher, who had a decent view in a ranch style house on the side of a hill. It was a new sub-division in a small town neighborhood. One day the lot downhill between him and his view sold and the new owners had a two story cape built. The high pitched roof, made a third story, came up broadside to my friend's view. Seriously, it looked like the guy actually was trying to build something specifically to block my friend's view.
My friend sold his house and moved. The new house owner now has his newly built house for sale, about two years later.
What does through people's heads often boggles mine.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
IMHO 75 feet is adequate spacing. But I’m from the NE and we rarely get an anchorage to ourselves. The bigger question is whether his scope matches yours. You don’t want him too short or too long. Ideally you can swing in unison.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Some folks don't know enough to know they're rude. If I'm remembering correctly there is plenty of room to anchor many boats there. Why anchor in someone's face even if you think they have room to swing.

I suspect I'd have done the same thing as you. It may have been good to ask him how much rode he had out and make friends, but in the heat of the moment that could be difficult.

Ken

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
My father anchored with a few others in an anchorage where he was using all chain and put out 3:1 scope. His nearest neighbor told him he should put out 7:1 or he'd drag. The Old Man told him he was on chain and he wouldn't drag. That didn't impress the other guy who began to get more and more angry about his neighbor's reluctance to listen to "reason". He wasn't going to be responsible when the Old Man's boat drifted down on his boat.
The Old Man said he'd watch out for any slipping and take action and responsibility. Then he went below and went to sleep.
So, what can you do when both parties are sure they're right but have different opinions of what that is? I was wrong once but was so sure I was right. It was uncomfortable.
When you 'know' you're right, how do you handle it with a guy who only 'thinks' he's right?
Depending on how easy each choice was, I'd have just let out more scope, moved away or thrown a copy of "Anchoring for Dummies" at him.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
When boats come into an anchorage with me there already, I try to get ‘em 200 ft away if we’re destined to lay abeam of one another. It’s harder to influence how close they rest blowing toward me from an upwind set, etc. In any case, I rarely set scope of more than 4:1 on all chain in light/soft conditions. Usually anchoring in 25 to 30 ft, that puts me at about 120 ft of rode to the water; add 10 ft or so up to the deck, then a boat length of 40’ LOA. So, there’s my 200-ft radius with a little to spare, if we do not, for whatever reason, swing in unison, etc.

In my observation, folks routinely set too much rode. Rode is only one parameter of secure anchoring. If well sheltered w/ no seas arriving, thus no pitching or jerking of the boat around, you don’t need as much. An oversized, well-set anchor on chain on good bottom, you don’t need as much. In tight situations, I’ve set and lay all night on as little as 2.5:1. When you do need it is whenever you’re laying in an open roadstead against a lee shore in relatively high wind with seas arriving, and the boat is yawing and jerking hard. Hard jerking threatens to pull the anchor out or cause it to drag. Dampen that effect with excessive rode, or perhaps just get going!! Another reason for excessive rode could be when anchored off a narrow channel that is tidally influenced with strong current flows. A Bahamian moor helps here so the direction of pull on the anchors does not reverse with the tide. If anchored in Morro Bay near the mouth of the Bay, designated anchorage, harbor ordinance requires a 7:1 scope.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
a well sheltered cove, little to no wave action and variable winds limited to say 5-10, sand bottom?. First in the cove and set with 6:1 equaling 200ft. Guy comes up near me, blocks my view of Seattle and sets with his boat ending about 75ft from my anchor. I know this because I pulled up to move away. I told him I had 200 out when he circled by with a loud "200?" coming from him.
Now I know more is better but in limited anchorage is 6:1 with the given conditions unreasonable?
Yes, I think it is. But if you were there first you get to set what's going on.

[/QUOTE]The dude was a douchebag because he had plenty of room elsewhere bit he wanted the view but it brings up the question of "rode courtesy.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree with you, the guy was a douchebag. You were there first. If he had room to go elsewhere he should have.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Keeping in mind the 5-7 rule..... what do you normally go with in a well sheltered cove, little to no wave action and variable winds limited to say 5-10, sand bottom? I'm sitting in Blakely Harbor, Wa across from Seattle, by myself. First in the cove and set with 6:1 equaling 200ft. Guy comes up near me, blocks my view of Seattle and sets with his boat ending about 75ft from my anchor. I know this because I pulled up to move away. I told him I had 200 out when he circled by with a loud "200?" coming from him.
Now I know more is better but in limited anchorage is 6:1 with the given conditions unreasonable? The dude was a douchebag because he had plenty of room elsewhere bit he wanted the view but it brings up the question of "rode courtesy.View attachment 168740
Start your generator....

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
This is a daily struggle in the Caribbean. French flagged boats and charter boats will routinely drop too close to other boats. We have several friends who have been hit, one had over $14k damage from a boat that anchored too close and swung into them. They often never back down either. It's not odd to go for a swim and see the anchor and chain lying in a pile. So if you come in after them and assume they are back on their chain and drop behind them they can drag into you.

For scope 5:1 is our minimum. In remote areas or off-season we will often have out 10:1, it's more comfortable and when you are anchoring in 10 foot depths that is only 100 feet of chain. Sitting in Bequia now and have about 8:1 out. In less crowded anchorages and off-season we use a small float to mark our anchor. We detach this in crowded areas or once Halloween rolls around. Sorry if this offends you but I think 2.5:1 is just irresponsible. If you think you can predict the weather so good that you know when every squall is going to come through then I question if you should be on the water. Many a night, from Maine to southern Caribbean, we have been anchored and sitting quietly with a weather forecast that says less than 10% chance of rain and had a squall pop up with 20-30 knot gusts. If you have 2.5:1 out then you will drag. And our boat is our home, so we take anchoring seriously. Unless we are in St. Thomas working to refill the savings we are anchored 95% of the time (some places have moorings to protect a reef or because it's too deep).

Fair winds,

Jesse

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I don't think he is bragging. just stating reality about how things sometimes are and sometimes that's what you go with if the weather is not bad and you have decent ground tackle.
Disagree. It’s just a high risk situation and a problem waiting to happen. Maybe ok for a lunch hook but not to sleep or leave the boat

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
This is always tricky. Good thread.

If I come into an anchorage and drop next to someone who was there first, I ignore them if they talk to me while I'm anchoring(my hearing is a little off so this is easy to do). Anchoring takes concentration as you maneuver your boat into position and mentally visualize what you're trying to achieve based on weather forecast, etc.

Once the anchor is down, I let my boat drift into position for as long as that takes and size things up. Did I hit my spot? How's the clearance, etc. Where is that voice coming from? I'm prepared to hoist again and reset, not tough to do with 40' of chain and rode anchor and a 35 lb, hook that is not set. Any boat should be prepared to do this.

When I'm anchored first and a boat comes into anchor next to me, I ignore them and leave them to their task, even if I suspect they're setting too close.

Sometimes, sure enough they were too close. Tide drops or wind shifts around, they swing closer,...then closer. I still ignore them and let them decide.

I've found that normally, boats that set too close, in time realize their mistake and usually hoist and re-set. After all, about the only rule in stone when it comes to hitting another anchored boat is; who was their first, wins.

The last time a boat hit me in an anchorage with damage (minor) was in the Exumas in the late 80's.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I don't think there was any rudeness on the part of the second guy to arrive. After all, we don't own the anchorage or the view, regardless of the fact that "we were there first."

You may be disappointed that he blocked your view, but how is he to know what you value most in the an back. chorage?

I routinely use 5:1 on all chain, regardless. I go for shallow anchorages. I don't like anything deeper than about 15'.

My technique in crowded anchorages is to go shallower than most there, or to come up right behind a similar boat to mine, also on chain, and drop my hook just off her transom, and drift back. I sometimes ask how much scope they have set. I avoid being near powerboats or sailboats on rope, as they swing differently.

There are places around here that are really tight, like Cuttyhunk, in the pond. Last week we were not much more than a couple of boat lengths from a boat in every direction. Everyone swung together in light air, all the way around over the course of a day, as the wind clocked around. No one bumped. It didn't start that way, of course, we were there early. One guy from New York was tired and struggling, and arguing with his wife, who was driving too fast as he sat on the bow, his feet int he chain locker. I finally just yelled "drop your hook right behind me!" He did, not as close as I recommended, and slightly to port, but it worked out, and he was thrilled to be able to shut down and have a drink.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
7:1 is a pipe dream in most of the anchorages I used to frequent. Most of the boats are day trippers so after they leave you get a better picture of the situation. It wasn't unusual to re-anchor then but you just don't get that much room. Sailboat tend to arrive later in the day so we usually have to fit in.
I think we took a mooring in the pond at Cuttyhunk but they were Poupon Mustard tight.