Why does Hunter have a bad name?

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
I am one who had little good to say about my 23.5. It was not the construction, fit or finish. It was the water ballast and minimal sail controls that made sailing very tender with weather helm that overpowered me. A tornado like weather pattern lifted the boat out of the water and onto the dock atop the mid-ship cleat. A little gel coat damage but no physical damage. The boat, a 1996, has more spider cracks than spiders which it is infested with. Cosmetic. I sailed and complained about the boat for 12 years but it was mostly that the 23.5 was a pocket cruiser that I only day sailed. Replaced it with a Capri 22 a true day sailer and am very happy with performance. I also improved as a sailor so do not put the boat into a position to perform badly. Would I consider a Hunter again? Yes just not a water ballast boat.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
"New to sailboats and seems everyone says to stay away from Hunter."

scuba201, It would be interesting to find out what their specific perceived objections are - is it the freeboard, B&R rig with swept back spreaders, no back stay, pre-racked mast, large roach main and small jib {The B&R Rig - boats.com), traveler location, arch, keel shape, hull shape, open transom, amenities, comfort, weight, engine size, lazarette size, layout, lack of a hard dodger or in-boom sail like Catalina, how it points, how it sails downwind? Then sail a Hunter and you may discover all or many perceived objections dispelled. But of course, also sail other boats to compare. You will find all boats are all about compromise.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
I believe boats do what they were built to do. What do you want out of a boat? Coastal cruising, day sailing, crossing oceans, live aboard? What's your price range? Just like with cars, people are going to have their opinions. Sure, there are better built and worse built boats then my '77 h30 but she does exactly what she was built for. She has served me well for over 22 years. Don't listen to the naysayers. Anyone who would trash another's boat doesn't deserve the time of day, IMO. Go in with an open mind, do your homework and then do what's in your best interest. What's the worst that can happen? You make a mistake, you sell and move on. Good luck.

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
Don't believe any of that nonsense about Hunter quality. I have owned Hunters, Mcgregors, O'Day. I have been on every production boat type. In every case the Hunter of the same vintage was superior to every other brand. My 1981 that I have owned since 1983 , H27 built by Cherubini and Luhrs has 8 opening ports and 2 Opening hatches plus loads of teak, lead keel, Yanmar engine. The Catalina came with maybe 4 opening ports , gas engine, vinyl covered interior. I won't even talk about Bene's with rusty keels and bolts plus sagging headliner, glued on non opening ports. Bottom line is anyone who makes a negative comment like that if you ask what specific model they are referring to...they don't know anything. Hunter owners are mostly fond of their boats and repeat buyers. Lastly, try to buy one, no one is giving them away.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Hey Big Bill @Bill19233 , I cant get the video to play. Would really like to see it!
We'll blame it on issues with the new site, not user error.
Here it is again. Try it now...

I hope to be in the race on the Bay tomorrow. Race 7 of an 8 race series. Second place in our class series standings is close, we're in third, right behind a Cal 33 and just ahead of another Cal 33. An older C&C 38 is way ahead in first. Every race has been 15 to 20 knots and my Hunter's shallow draft is better in lighter winds.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY

I hope to be in the race on the Bay tomorrow. Race 7 of an 8 race series. Second place in our class series standings is close, we're in third, right behind a Cal 33 and just ahead of another Cal 33. An older C&C 38 is way ahead in first. Every race has been 15 to 20 knots and the Hunter's shallow draft is better in lighter winds.
Wow, that was an awesome video and great tune! Go Hunter. Thanks for the fix. You are the King of planned gybes. :beer::beer::beer:

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN

I hope to be in the race on the Bay tomorrow. Race 7 of an 8 race series. Second place in our class series standings is close, we're in third, right behind a Cal 33 and just ahead of another Cal 33. An older C&C 38 is way ahead in first. Every race has been 15 to 20 knots and my Hunter's shallow draft is better in lighter winds.
That was great..but it looked like you were getting passed a lot ;-). :poke:

Greg

Apr 11, 2018
Hunter 340 Dowry Creek, NC
What's a "production boat?"
A boat built in standard specs for a targeted market, like a mass production automobile such as a Chevrolet. Hunter, Beneteau, Catalina et al do it that way. A bespoke boat, on the other hand, is built to order, to the buyer's specs. Pacific Seacraft, for example, still do that.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
IMHO, a production boat is built in relatively high volume with a low price point, so building techniques are developed for efficiency. For example, cleats on older Hunters are tapped into embedded aluminum in the deck layup and the aluminum toe rails are bolted into an outward flange; two examples of a process that can be handled by one worker, as opposed to the traditional way which requires two. Those efficiencies are not so important to low volume builders, like Swan, Hallberg Rassy, Island Packet, etc. Those boats may be marginally better due to their techniques but are also way more expensive.

Thank you for attending my Ted Talk.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
A boat built in standard specs for a targeted market, like a mass production automobile such as a Chevrolet. Hunter, Beneteau, Catalina et al do it that way. A bespoke boat, on the other hand, is built to order, to the buyer's specs. Pacific Seacraft, for example, still do that.
I was asking @dakno since he made the statement "I have been on every production boat type. In every case the Hunter of the same vintage was superior to every other brand."

Where would you put Hinckley, Little Harbor, Morris? Sabre, Tartan? I don't think any of them are building sailboats on spec, they are built once they are ordered, save boat show boats, as far as I am aware.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
scuba201, Happy to take you out on our Hunter 46 in the San Francisco Bay so you can see its amenities and how it performs. You will not be dissapointed.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
My hunter is made from plastic that warps in sunshine, and splits like a pitted windshield in cold latitudes. Quality Points...1 out of 10.

I have never had any emails or phone calls returned from Hunter when I asked for help. Customer Service Points...zero

Their entry level boats are designed to appeal to nonsailers. Youll hear key words like headroom, amenities, easy, few simple controls, uncluttered cockpit. When people that enjoy the details of sailing and boating get in these, they are dissapointed at the multiverse opposites like, rounds up too quickly when heeled, slow, difficult to trim.

Sailing Control Points...5

Then, when these entry level sailor try to upgrade, the hull form is inadequately designed. Adding additional mount areas for features that new buyers dont even know exists adds costs.

If youve been in this forum long enough youll know they ignored every bit of Daves advice.

The company may make solid big boats, but the daysailers get outgrown quickly.

They never did figure out how to set up the trailers and hulls for planing daysailors.

The boats are affordable for sure. My next boat needs to be fun. I dont have to buy a boat, and i dont want to show up for work on Monday bragging about my barely sailing weekend.

There are lots if great brands out there, but they cost more.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Ouch...that hurts ;-(
Well actually, I should have added “lately”.

But, back to scuba201’s post. My Hunter fits the way I use a boat where I live and sail, and fits my finances. And, at least on my dock at the marina, the Hunters are the boats sailing most weekends, not staying tied up to the dock. That may be more about the owners than have to do with reliability of the systems and how easy they are to sail. They’re far from perfect, I have changed several things on mine.
If I ever move up to a larger boat, will I buy another one. Maybe not, it will depend on a lot of things, but I will definitely consider another Hunter. Right now, dream boat would be a 2010 navy blue Sabre 386, but they're well north of 200 grand.
Take the opportunity, get out on the bay with Bee on his J105, then come out with me. Two boats about the same size meant for completely different types of sailing. How do you plan to use a boat?

Last edited:

MDBack

May 9, 2013
Hunter Legend 35.5 Cornucopia, WI
We love our 1993 Hunter Legend 35.5. We have sailed it for years on Lake Superior in some pretty tough weather. It has taken well to upgrades, refits and installing of new electronics allowing us to have a much newer boat with 25 year old fiberglass. We have now sailed her from Lake Superior to New York and south along the ICW to Florida and The Bahamas. We believe there is a ton to love about Hunters and haven't had any issues. Like has been said before if you're looking at a 1970's or 1980's vintage Hunter, you may want to look closely at areas where all manufacturers cut corners and do some serious due diligence on things like thru-hulls, valves, compression post inspection, keel-to-hull joint integrity, etc. Things that had plagued a lot of boat manufacturers in that era. Hunter, Catalina and the others that survived the great extinction of boat builders of the late 80's all did so because they fixed those issues and delivered better boats that informed customers demanded. A lot of Hunter owners just laugh when people tell them how bad Hunters are and keep laughing all the way to the anchorage with an extra $30k in their wallet over a similar boat.
20190401_170753.jpg