Need help with proper boom rigging on Hunter 22

Jul 27, 2019
Hunter 22 Lake Charles, LA
There is a cable coming from the top of the mast that hooks onto the back of the boom and supports it. Looking at the owners manual, I believe it is called a boom lift.

On the boat I just acquired, the cable was tied onto the back of the boom with a small piece of para cord that broke on our first outing.

I’m trying to properly rig this and would appreciate it if anyone else had photos or descriptions of the proper way to rig this lift to the boom

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
I think this style topping lift setup would work well for your needs.

541313C7-8876-4ABB-BFF8-D421C6027CA1.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019
After taking a closer look at the boom, I’ve actually figured out that there are two pulleys at the end of the boom. One for the topping lift and one for the outhaul. The run inside the boom and cleat at at the mast. Unfortunately, the previous owner let these rot away and was using paracord to attach the boom to the topping lift cable on the mast. I am going to have to dismantle the boom and rerun these lines.

Currently the weight of the boom is being suspended by the leech of the sail. Ugh!

Thanks, I’ll take some photos of the redo to share.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Currently the weight of the boom is being suspended by the leech of the sail. Ugh
If the mainsail is hoisted and you are under sail, the leech of the mainsail supports the boom . That’s the way it should be when you’re sailing, usually.

The primary use for the topping lift is to keep the boom from dropping into the cockpit when the main when the mainsail is being hoisted or dropped, or during reefing.

(Usually the topping lift is slacked while u dear sail. You don’t want a taut topping lift changing the shape of the mainsail. One exception to this generalization is is that some people will use the topping lift to put twist in the mainsail while sailing in very very light breeze.)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Currently the weight of the boom is being suspended by the leech of the sail. Ugh!.
It is supposed to be like that when sailing. The topping lift is just to keep the boom out of the cockpit when at anchor or in port.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
@nickvillaume that block and cam cleat are for a reefing line that passes through the boom from the leach of the mainsail. The line first ties to a ring on the aft end of the boom, passes up through the first reef cringle on the sail, then down through a sheave on the aft end of the boom, then through the boom to the goose neck on the mast.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019
Thanks for all the helpful responses guys. I’ve been sailing my whole life but I’ve never owned a boat any larger than a laser. All this rigging is in sane