NORTHERN CHESAPEAKE BAY RIGGING SERVICE

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
I'm docked at the Granary on the Sassafras River and need to get my standing rigging serviced. Does anyone have recommendations whom to use. Preferably someone you have used. Also, not having done this before, what dollar amounts should I be expecting to pay.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Consider doing it yourself. Last year I replaced all the lights, wind instruments, antenna, wiring and added a halyard. Fishing the halyard and the wiring from the spreaders was a lot hassle but we got it. The mast was down on saw horses. I had our marinas rigger do the standing rigging which was easy and straight forward. I would have saved several thousand dollars if I had just removed it and sent it to rig right in Florida. The stays simply attach by ball fittings fed through round cups. There are no toggles etc at the top of the mast.

Aug 11, 2011
I need to replace the standing rigging and the sheeves for the halyards need to be replaced. Pending on the quote, wether or not I can afford to put a new Raymarine I60 intalled.
I know the rigging is over ten years old and the insurance company wants a documentation on work performed by a professional rigger. I'm waiting for Walden to give me a quote.

Aug 11, 2011
Suzanne and Dobbs are scheduled to do the rigging in October. I'm looking forward to having them do it.

Aug 11, 2011
First phase by Suzanne and Dobbs from Walden Rigging was done yesterday. What a pleasant couple. So respectful, willing to teach, not assuming you know it all or only a little. Give great advice and always willing to listen to what you are looking for.

Installation of all new rigging happening in two weeks.

Aug 11, 2011
Suzanne and Dobbs replaced all the standard rigging. All new fittings. Nice job. In addition I had them replace the topping lift, change all my mast lights to LED bulbs, clean and dielectric grease the antenna, put up a new windex, and provide me with a new main sheet halyard.
Now I'm ready to hoist sail.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
He posted this in another thread;
On my 1983 O'Day 30 I recently had my entire rigging replaced and LED lights, windex and a new main sheet halyard installed. All new turnbuckles and connections. There were an number of other small items done as well. Everything was done without taking the mast down. Just over $5K. And all did was watch and ask questions. I have great confidence in my choice of rigging company and the work they have done and would recommend them to anyone who needs a reference on them. The company is Walden Rigging and is located in the Northern Chesapeake Area.
While my mast was down, I replaced all of my standing rigging - except the forestay (it was relatively new) - on my O'day 35 two weeks ago. Total cost for the rigging from RiggingOnly in Farhaven, MA. was under $1500. I also replaced my anchor light ($100 with photocell) and steaming/foredeck light ($130) with USCG approved LED fixtures and bulbs from MarineBeam. I replaced al of the mast wiring with stranded-tinned AWG 14 marine wiring too ($75). I am still waiting for a callback from the people at RigRite on pricing for 4 sheaves for an Isomat Mast (NG1-3A and NG1-4A).

Pulling and storing my mast at a SafeHarbor marina has cost me $1000, and it will cost another $700 to put it back in the spring - which is a total rip-off. I have had this done at another marina several years ago (2012/2013), and the cost was $700 to drop, store, and re-step the mast.

My insurer (Geico) had not asked me to do any of this.

Last edited: