CDI furler modification

Nov 8, 2014
MacGregor 26S Chateauguay
CDI furler modification

My Mac26S came with a CDI furler that must be the clumsiest furler ever designed. Has anyone tried to modify the furler with a top sheave and a halyard that runs outside the foil? I’m tired of risking a heart attack every time I want to change my head sail.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Seems to me the CDI is not a good choice if you’re changing your headsail often. Maybe someone will have a solution for you.

Nov 8, 2014
I own a brand new 100% jib and an older 150% Genoa. I usually use the Genoa but it has no UV protection so I would like to stow it. I just repainted my deck and did a lot of useful modifications and I can’t afford to install a UV strip this year. I once saw a picture of a Mac with a furler just like the CDI but with an external halyard and a sheave at the top, so I was wondering if anyone has that solution installed and how it worked. Besides even without changing the headsail, installing it is a major PITA.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Cdi is not made to change sails easily. Funny thing about this question is that you’re likely going to spend way more money getting a foil and blocks setup than it would cost to get a sunbrella strip sewn on.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I had a CDI on an Oday 272.. Piece of crap.. The extrusion connecters worn out easily and would allow the different foil extrusions to independent turn. This action would tear the luff tape. took the whole mess to a loft. Their professional fix was stop gap at best. Ended up replacing with a Hood system and sold the boats shortly after. The CDI is in the Hood box in my basement. Tried to give it away several times... no takers

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
I had a CDI on an Oday 272.. Piece of crap.. The extrusion connecters worn out easily and would allow the different foil extrusions to independent turn. This action would tear the luff tape. took the whole mess to a loft. Their professional fix was stop gap at best. Ended up replacing with a Hood system and sold the boats shortly after. The CDI is in the Hood box in my basement. Tried to give it away several times... no takers
That’s either an ancient first generation Cdi, or its made by somebody else.

For the past twenty years or more, CDI furthers have had a one piece plastic extrusion. There aren’t any connectors nor any sections.

CDI furlers are dependable and very low priced. You can’t beat the price with any other brand

Aug 1, 2011
CDI furlers are dependable and very low priced. You can’t beat the price with any other brand
Got that right. The newest ones have a shiv up top, so the melt/wear that used to happen up there is a thing of the past.

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
The newest ones have a shiv up top, so the melt/wear that used to happen up there is a thing of the past.
What do you mean by this? Are you referring to the wear where the halyard doubles back on top? Is this new arrangement that you describe a backwards compatible replacement part for older versions?

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
It just occurred to me that you intended to type “sheave”. That makes it clearer to me.

Aug 1, 2011
The guy made the comment himself "I don't care about the effect on set" Pretty much says it all.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
The guy made the comment himself "I don't care about the effect on set" Pretty much says it all.
I thought he was saying "Paint is lighter than Sunbrella or other UV-stable fabric; it should set better than a fabric UV cover, but I don't really care about that advantage, mostly about the weight flogging on the leech." But maybe I misread his intent. I'm sure we can expect a full report in PS sometime.

Jun 25, 2004
Is this new arrangement that you describe a backwards compatible replacement part for older versions?
About 5 years ago, CDI upgraded the top cap on the FF2 to include a sheave.
All the bigger CDI units have had a sheave in the top cap for many, many years.
The FF1 doesn't have a sheave in the top cap, and, IMO, it doesn't need one.

If you need to replace the top cap on an older FF2, it will fit the extrusion. The FF2 extrusion shape hasn't changed in the past decade or two, so the new part is backwards compatible with older FF2's.

The halyards on the older version sometimes wore through the plastic cap after many years. (Some folks thought they melted, but I don't think so)CDI decided to improve the product about 5 years ago, and made the change.

The CDI manual for the FF2 doesn't reflect the new change, but they sent all the dealers an update about 5 years ago.

Judy B
CDI Distributor

Attachments

Last edited:

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Great information DrJudyB! I'll take a closer look at the top of my furler to see what I have. I struggle with raising the jib especially the last few feet. This could make a big difference.

Jun 25, 2004
Great information DrJudyB! I'll take a closer look at the top of my furler to see what I have. I struggle with raising the jib especially the last few feet. This could make a big difference.
Hi Fred,

YOu have an FF2 on your H26?

Inspect the top cap for obvious wear from the halyard. If the halyard has started to cut through the plastic, replace the top cap. If it's not badly worn, through, I wouldn't bother to replace it, because you've got a problem somewhere else.

It sounds to me like the problem may also have a different cause of excessive friction, not due to the top cap. ontribute to the friction. If the friction increases as you hoist the sail, it could be due to dirt in the groove or a problem with the luff tape.

Inspect the extrusion for damage up near the top.
Clean the extrusion and lube it with MacLube.
Also spray the luff tape generously with MacLube.
Don't use a pretroleum or oil based lube like WD40 on the luff tape. It leaves an oily residue that holds dirt. MacLube repels dirt and won't stain your sail. It lasts longer than other dry lubes too.

If it's still difficult to hoist the all the way to the top, your luff tape may be too big for the extrusion. Measure the luff tape with calipers, with the calipers lightly touching the rope. Don't squeeze with any pressure. The tape should measure less than 5.6 mm in diameter. If it's bigger than that, it will cause more friction during hoisting than the system was designed to handle. The CDI requires a number 6 luff tape, which converts to a metric size of between about 5.1 and 5.6 mm, depending on the weight and weave of the dacron cloth wrapped around the inner cord.

Judy B
Retired Sailmaker.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
That’s either an ancient first generation Cdi, or its made by somebody else.

For the past twenty years or more, CDI furthers have had a one piece plastic extrusion. There aren’t any connectors nor any sections.

That furler was OEM. It came on a 1986 Oday. Your experience may limited to newer versions.

Nov 8, 2014
Hi, thanks for your answer
I checked the luff tape and it’s the right size, I might have to change the top cap. I mange to raise the sail by pulling down on the halyard and pushing up the sail, this only starting halfway up.

Jun 25, 2004
That furler was OEM. It came on a 1986 Oday. Your experience may limited to newer versions.
No, my experience is not limited to newer verskions of CDI furlers. Reread my post, pls.

I said it might be an ancient first generation CDI., I went further to say that subsequent generations, for a minimum of 20 years, were good pieces of equipment.

Your 1986CDI furler is indeed a first generation and, IMO, ancient at 33 years old.

IMO, You drew an invalid conclusion when you said that CDIs were crap, based on your limited experience with a first generation CDI furler.

Judy B
Authorized CDI Distributor

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2011
Hardware should be proportional to the installation, and hardware will evolve over time from the manufacturer.