CDI furler modification

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
Hi Fred,

YOu have an FF2 on your H26?

Inspect the top cap for obvious wear from the halyard. If the halyard has started to cut through the plastic, replace the top cap. If it's not badly worn, through, I wouldn't bother to replace it, because you've got a problem somewhere else.

It sounds to me like the problem may also have a different cause of excessive friction, not due to the top cap. ontribute to the friction. If the friction increases as you hoist the sail, it could be due to dirt in the groove or a problem with the luff tape.

Inspect the extrusion for damage up near the top.
Clean the extrusion and lube it with MacLube.
Also spray the luff tape generously with MacLube.
Don't use a pretroleum or oil based lube like WD40 on the luff tape. It leaves an oily residue that holds dirt. MacLube repels dirt and won't stain your sail. It lasts longer than other dry lubes too.

If it's still difficult to hoist the all the way to the top, your luff tape may be too big for the extrusion. Measure the luff tape with calipers, with the calipers lightly touching the rope. Don't squeeze with any pressure. The tape should measure less than 5.6 mm in diameter. If it's bigger than that, it will cause more friction during hoisting than the system was designed to handle. The CDI requires a number 6 luff tape, which converts to a metric size of between about 5.1 and 5.6 mm, depending on the weight and weave of the dacron cloth wrapped around the inner cord.

Judy B
Retired Sailmaker.
I second the maclube. I've had the same problem raising my Genoa that last couple of feet. Lubed the channel with dry silicone lube and had no problems at all getting the sail to the top of the foil.

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
I do believe that I have an FF2 on my H26. Does the attached picture validate that assumption? I have tried with silicone spray but it only provided limited improvement. I intend to take the mast down in a few weeks so will inspect the furler cap at that time. Thanks for all the helpful input. (BTW I have moved the attachment point back to the bow tang since that picture was taken.)

Attachments

May 3, 2018
macgregor 26S trailer sailed from Kitimat
Hi, thanks for your answer
I checked the luff tape and it’s the right size, I might have to change the top cap. I mange to raise the sail by pulling down on the halyard and pushing up the sail, this only starting halfway up.
Looking at the sail track where it starts to get tight is there a restriction in the sail track opening at that point. This happens when trying to push on trailer using a similar mount groove in the extrusion, the fix on the RV track is a tool to go into the track and pass thru bottom to top tapped with a hammer and make sure its even all the way up a minor bend in the track will cause no end of problems to the raising or lowering of the sail and most times cannot be seen from the deck inside the track groove.

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
I do believe that I have an FF2 on my H26.
It looks like your Furler drum is connected to the bow eye with a line (rope). It’s hard to see but if that is your set up, I’m curious if the drum twists during furling? If so, I suggest you replace with a SS bracket to stiffen the connection. If I’m out to lunch let me know.

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
If I’m out to lunch let me know.
Yep, you are “out to lunch”
A) in the picture the furler is attached to the bow eye with two SS brackets so that it would not turn.
B) as mentioned I have since moved the attachment back to the bow tang.

Last edited: