What to do with old pre-mix (fuel)?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I think the average lawnmower powered by a crude Briggs and Stratton will chew through that mixed fuel with no ill effects.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
If you are using ethanol free, the suggestion putting in with a nearly full tank of gas will dilute and worked well for me as I abhorred putting on the ground except for killing bees and things like that. Also, burning gas, you must be careful as the flare up is quick and one friend knows that all too well after burning his leg.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
If you are using ethanol free, the suggestion putting in with a nearly full tank of gas will dilute and worked well for me as I abhorred putting on the ground except for killing bees and things like that. Also, burning gas, you must be careful as the flare up is quick and one friend knows that all too well after burning his leg.
I responded to a few of these burn events, really painful. BTW once beeswax gets hot the fire gets bigger; lawn, garage, eaves, really gets going.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
I think the average lawnmower powered by a crude Briggs and Stratton will chew through that mixed fuel with no ill effects.
I used to do that with old gas from my motorcycle. But the B&S died a couple of years ago and I got a free electric mower from someone, so it's not an option for me anymore!

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
At the end of the season I always have 2 gal or so of 2 cycle 75-1 dinghy gas left. When I fill up my Jeep I put a gallon or so dinghy gas on top. I have been doing this for at least 30 years and never had a problem.

vetch

Dec 3, 2011
Prout Manta 38 St. Augustine
I always use old gas in our Suburban. It's a 2001 and the mix gas has never done it any harm.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
My former town has a couple of HazMat days and they will take overwintered gas or whatever. I would buy only a gallon at a time of gas to mix with oil for the snowblower or dingy outboard. I've been wary of putting it the Jeep since a story a friend told me of doing that for a commercial van which then stalled going up the Throgs Neck Bridge. I would not want to endure the stare I would get at my Jeep dealership if I had to tell them I put bad fuel in it.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Send it to California! They are about to raise their gas tax to $0.473/gal starting July 1

vetch

Dec 3, 2011
Prout Manta 38 St. Augustine
My former town has a couple of HazMat days and they will take overwintered gas or whatever. I would buy only a gallon at a time of gas to mix with oil for the snowblower or dingy outboard.
If you are going to buy it in small quantities like that I suggest getting canned gas. Currently the only 2 stroke motor I own is for a dingy and I run ethanol free premix in it. You can find it in the garden section of the Lowes or even Walmart. The stuff is expensive but if you're only going to use a quart or two a year it's not that bad.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I didn't know it even existed or where it could be bought. I don't have a 2 cycle engine in my life right now but if I did I would look at that.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Keep a can in my chainsaw box, probably only use 2 times year max. Been no problems. Last can I replaced when empty was 3 yrs old I think.

Nov 17, 2018
MacGregor Venture 2-24 Rifle, CO
I've dumped it in my Suburban's 40 gal tank and kept driving. No issues. It''s really diluted considering it's already about 50:1 before I pour it in.
I do the same with old fuel. It won’t harm your car, and once diluted even further its not going to affect the fuel quality in any significant way.
Same here. Old premixed gas goes right in my 35 gallon tank. The hardest part is getting it out of the portable outboard tanks.

~BG~