Belize on a Leopard 45

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
@jssailem and I will be traveling tomorrow to Huston and on to Belize to take the helm of a Leopard 45 via SunSail starting Monday.

This thread will be updated as we get connectivity on our exploits. I’m taking my inReach so you’ll be able to see our track.

We started this adventure last fall at the Annapolis Boat Show, and even tho the money is long spent it is only now feeling real.

Les & Trish
Mahalo.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I invited Jssailems's wife to come along on our Round Whidbey cruise last weekend so that we would have three couples but she wanted to save her sailing time for Belize. Go figure.
You would have thought I was talking about racing rail-down or something. I Guess she had some good insight.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I was talking about racing rail-down or something.
She knew that I would try racing rail down if it would affect the outcome. She doesn’t know you Hayden.

We are looking forward to a condo on the water experience. I’ve watched a couple of the Catamaran Caribbean YouTube videos in preparation for our warm water sail. I’ve set my winter sailing gear in the closet.( it was difficult not to pack it. ) I’m a bit unsure what one packs and wears to sails in these unnatural conditions. Sunshine, warm water, and pleasant breezes, this is like an out of the world experience.

My wife say I will be ok. I might even like it.
Yeah sure.
09AC193A-55AA-4D3C-930B-BB435543AAA1.jpeg

Sailing as men are supposed to sail.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Hope you guys have a fine trip! I think you'll find "warm water" sailing to be to your liking! We do a lot of that here along the Gulf Coast..

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I am confused as to what that means.
More suntan?:pimp:

Safety note:
At Belize Latitudes, 1 hour of Sun exposure = 6 hours in the PNW.:yikes:
_____
Weather forecast for first few days of your trip...
https://sbo.sailboatowners.com/wx/wx.php
_____
Who did you guys bribe [convince] that you can sail a 45' catamaran?:confused:
____
Post a lot of pictures and link in your AIS so we call can be envious.:)
____
The Southern Cross show be fun to locate and try to do Celestial location.

Above all, have fun and "MAYA'll" have a great time. {Maya civilization pun}
Jim...

PS: Try 17.2 Lat and -88.5 Long on that SBO weather forecast link.
17.2 latitude, -88.5 longitude

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
Stu there is a Mayan vortex not far from where we are staying. A Blue Hole of the gods. I woke this AM and there was the light beat of a drum. I stepped out side and one of the locals was muttering a Low guttural chant... Be very careful I might learn some of his words.

Oct 22, 2014
We have some coffee in the pot (perhaps it is chicory). The crew is starting to stir. The local workers are gathering the sea weed that washed up on the beach. It promises to be a glorious day.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Being a “Nawlins “ boy, +1 on the chickory. It’ll get your heart started in the morning. Have a great trip, let us know how cat sailing is vs monohull and send pics.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
nope no snow shovel for this trip - suntan and bug spray (which doesn't do much) They love me down here!!!
having some disagreements with SunSail on when we can leave tomorrow - they have different ideas than the sales people -- took a while today to get them to own the problem - find out tomorrow if they will let us leave. or if we have to wait till wednesday.