Pearson 303 Mainsail Rigging Question...

RKirk

Apr 15, 2019
Pearson 303 Middle River, MD
Bought a Pearson 303 and I have a question about rigging the mainsail. The previous owner had it rigged as in the photo with nothing attaching the sail to the boom at the mast. Pulling on the out haul just pulls the sail away from the mast. Something is missing but I don't know if it a Pearson 303 specific part or not, and there are no nearby Pearson 303s that I know of. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
20190603_142540.jpg

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
There should be a clevis pin (?) - large pin with holes for cotter pins - and a receiver for the large pin, to attach the tack of the sail to the front of the boom. Shouldn't be specific to a Pearson. Do you know what company made your spar and boom?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hi @RKirk
You are correct. Something is missing in the image posted.
Sails - Main and Jib have 3 points of attachment.
  1. The Head. Top of sail top of Mast.
  2. The Tack. Bottom of sail at the Mast.and Boom connection - for Mainsail. Or the Jib Tack is at the foredeck at the bottom of the forestay.
  3. The Clew. At the free end of the boom usually with an out haul. - Or the jib with lines Port and Starboard attached to the free end of the sail (the Clew).
It appears if your rotate your mast over there is a hole in the boom head that your can pass a pin through. The pin would hold your mainsail tack in place if the pin is passed through the sail tack hoop and through the hole on the boom head.

The 2 hooks could then be used to pull the boom down, as a downhaul.

RKirk

Apr 15, 2019
I know exactly what you mean. On my Catalina that is how it was. The tack loop would slide forward and a cleavis pin could slide through the loop and the holes in the boom on each side. The Pearson is different. There is a hole in the boom that cannot be seen in the pic as it is blocked by the reading hooks. There is a 1/2 in wide section with a hole that a pin can pass through, but the tack loop cannot attach like the Catalina. I bought this part in this pic so the U would go through the tack loop and the pin would go through the hole. Just curious how it attached on another Pearson.
20190603_175609.jpg

Hi @RKirk
You are correct. Something is missing in the image posted.
Sails - Main and Jib have 3 points of attachment.
  1. The Head. Top of sail top of Mast.
  2. The Tack. Bottom of sail at the Mast.and Boom connection - for Mainsail. Or the Jib Tack is at the foredeck at the bottom of the forestay.
  3. The Clew. At the free end of the boom usually with an out haul. - Or the jib with lines Port and Starboard attached to the free end of the sail (the Clew).
It appears if your rotate your mast over there is a hole in the boom head that your can pass a pin through. The pin would hold your mainsail tack in place if the pin is passed through the sail tack hoop and through the hole on the boom head.

The 2 hooks could then be used to pull the boom down, as a downhaul.

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
Bought a Pearson 303 and I have a question about rigging the mainsail. The previous owner had it rigged as in the photo with nothing attaching the sail to the boom at the mast. Pulling on the out haul just pulls the sail away from the mast. Something is missing but I don't know if it a Pearson 303 specific part or not, and there are no nearby Pearson 303s that I know of. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.View attachment 165624
Attached is a picture of a Pearson 303 rigged. Maybe this helps. It doesn't show the goose necks that are used for reefing. The manual can be found http://www.pearson303.net/other_files/Pearson 303 Owners Manual 1984.pdf
pearson1.gif

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
Bought a Pearson 303 and I have a question about rigging the mainsail. The previous owner had it rigged as in the photo with nothing attaching the sail to the boom at the mast. Pulling on the out haul just pulls the sail away from the mast. Something is missing but I don't know if it a Pearson 303 specific part or not, and there are no nearby Pearson 303s that I know of. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.View attachment 165624
Hi RKirk! I have a P303 1985/6 Can you please take a picture better towards the mast. It looks like your missing a part between the hooks but need pictures here are the ones to take for me. you can email if you like!
Stargazer goosneck system.jpg

RKirk

Apr 15, 2019
Looks like I need a tack shackle like NB1-2. Hopefully West Marine or another marine supply store will have what I need. Thanks for your help. We also have a 1986 Pearson 303. Looking forward to having it put in the water soon and sailing it up to Middle River. Now all we have to do is find an easy solution to the reversed shifter problem. Lol

Oct 22, 2014
Looks like I need a tack shackle like NB1-2. Hopefully West Marine or another marine supply store will have what I need. Thanks for your help. We also have a 1986 Pearson 303. Looking forward to having it put in the water soon and sailing it up to Middle River. Now, all we have to do is find an easy solution to the reversed shifter problem. Lol
Do you still have the hole in the gooseneck??
Mine is built No. 221
Just having all new cushions made v-birth to the cockpit. My wife and I just love this boat. Take a look at all my posts. I have made many modifications.
Purchased at Norfolk Va. several years ago 10 in fact. link below... StarGazer II Capt. Rob.
http://1985pearson303.blogspot.com/

Now! I will send you a PM

Oct 22, 2014
Now all we have to do is find an easy solution to the reversed shifter problem. Lol

Whats it doing?? and what have you done so far?