O'Day 34 Performance?

Nov 23, 2010
O'Day 35 379 Northport Yacht Club
I realize thus is pretty much a zombie thread going back at least as far as 2004 but here goes. It is true that there were two O'Day 34 Performance boats built in the early 80's. I happened to know and race against the original owner of the second one which he named Arrhythmia in honor of his profession as a cardiac technician. He was a fellow member of the Northport Yacht Club on Long Island at the time. I will not post his name here for the sake of his privacy. He kicked ass in PHRF racing on Long Island Sound for some time. If my memory serves me right they either threatened to or did punish his success by adjusting his rating but he continued to win until he sold the boat. In my opinion O'Day missed the boat (pun intended) by not producing more of them. I own an O'Day 35 std 5"7" keel and std rig which sails well but would get creamed by the performance model every time. The legend is that there was more to the secret sauce than just a taller rig and a 7" deeper keel. Maybe someone here knows more about that.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
The start of the 1989 race suffered several postponements due to the lack of wind. However, once the race was underway, 163 vessels, the biggest fleet in the history of the Marion-Bermuda Race, cleared the starting line and headed for that pleasant rendezvous in Bermuda. On Monday, Warren Brown’s WAR BABY of Bermuda crossed the finish line after 72 1/2 hours at sea, breaking the previous elapsed time course record.

Corrected time honors went to John Elliot’s 34-foot Class F sloop YUKON JACK, followed closely by BWSC Commodore Jim Hayes’ 40-foot Class E sloop SHAMBLES. Of the 145 yachts that finished the race, 45 shared in the awarding of 69 trophies at an indoor ceremony at the Princess Hotel.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I realize thus is pretty much a zombie thread going back at least as far as 2004 but here goes. It is true that there were two O'Day 34 Performance boats built in the early 80's. I happened to know and race against the original owner of the second one which he named Arrhythmia in honor of his profession as a cardiac technician. He was a fellow member of the Northport Yacht Club on Long Island at the time. I will not post his name here for the sake of his privacy. He kicked ass in PHRF racing on Long Island Sound for some time. If my memory serves me right they either threatened to or did punish his success by adjusting his rating but he continued to win until he sold the boat. In my opinion O'Day missed the boat (pun intended) by not producing more of them. I own an O'Day 35 std 5"7" keel and std rig which sails well but would get creamed by the performance model every time. The legend is that there was more to the secret sauce than just a taller rig and a 7" deeper keel. Maybe someone here knows more about that.
From a technical perspective, all this usually means is that the boat sailed slightly better to it rating than expected. Or the rating used did not reflect the 'performance' of the limited model. It shared max through the water speeds and tacking angles with dozens of similar length boats of its generation. No magic here.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
Just bought the EV-100 AP. Where have people installed the components? Expecting to install this weekend.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
I installed a Raymarine EV-100 back in July of 2016. - with an eS78, and a Vesper Marine XB-8000 - The EV-100 is the best crew that I have ever had aboard!

Jan 28, 2017
O'Day 34 Suttons Bay
Just bought the EV-100 AP. Where have people installed the components? Expecting to install this weekend.
I just installed my EV-100 ACU at foot of the starboard quarter berth. Easy access to the drive unit and the breaker panel. I’m a convert after just a couple short test runs — windvane steering to hoist the main and for downwind running is priceless!
I connected the DeviceNet backbone that came with the B&G instrument package to the Raymarine SeaTalkng backbone using a Maretron field installable connector and a 0.3m STng backbone extension. Worked without a hitch.

Considering adding an Axiom MFD chart plotter now, though I see the eS78 is still available here and there. Anyone have a sense of the comparative responsiveness using the new Lighthouse 3.9 update?

Oct 7, 2008
That is where I installed the ACU and the EV1. I put the head unit in the cockpit under the shallow lazerette by the wheel on the 45 degree facing bulkhead. After everything was connected it didn't work until I filled the open spot on the five way connector with a cover plug that was supplied. It has been working great ever since.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
I just installed my EV-100 ACU at foot of the starboard quarter berth. Easy access to the drive unit and the breaker panel. I’m a convert after just a couple short test runs — windvane steering to hoist the main and for downwind running is priceless!
I connected the DeviceNet backbone that came with the B&G instrument package to the Raymarine SeaTalkng backbone using a Maretron field installable connector and a 0.3m STng backbone extension. Worked without a hitch.

Considering adding an Axiom MFD chart plotter now, though I see the eS78 is still available here and there. Anyone have a sense of the comparative responsiveness using the new Lighthouse 3.9 update?
I have an eS78 at my helm with the new LightHouse III OS. IMHO Lighthouse III is currently a DOWNGRADE. It takes MUCH longer to boot, frequently I find that I have to reboot, because when I select CHARTS (this is how you select the chart plotter function) on the MFD It draws my boat, my tracks, but no chart! LightHouse II started quickly, and always displayed the charts when I selected the chart plotter.

I was caught in a squall this past Saturday on Narragansett Bay. The squall featured heavy rain and small hail, as well as several nearby lightning bolts and thunder. The big drops of rain that hit the chartplotter screen caused it to get very squirrelly. I was glad that the eS78 has the push button interface in addition to the touchscreen, as the touchscreen was unusable in those conditions.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
Like @rajhnsn, I have installed the computer and heading sensor for my EV-100 at the foot of the rear quarterberth. Noted above, I have my MFD mounted at the helm, and the control for the autopilot is also at the helm.
2016-07-28 19.58.03.jpg
2016-07-28 19.58.30.jpg

Oct 7, 2008
Very good to know. My next purchase is an MFD. I am considering a 9 inch Raymarine that is complete touch screen. May have to take another look at that.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@rajhnsn The touch screen has a “Cool” feel to it. Very up to date. It may suffer a bit if you sail/cruise in wet conditions. That is when the old fashioned rotary dial and buttons comes in handy. There is just no way to fix wet cold hands on a touch screen that wants to sense the capacitance of your finger.

Oct 7, 2008
Thank you. This will be helpful in my choice of MFD. I sail mostly on the Chesapeake and I have a bimini but conditions could warrant buttons as well. I thought Raymarine came out with one that had both?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
We have the B&G Zeus 3 which has both a touch screen and fully redundant buttons. The touch screen can also be disabled if needed. Ours is under a Bimini and we've never actually had to disable it.

Jan 28, 2017
O'Day 34 Suttons Bay
I have an eS78 at my helm with the new LightHouse III OS. IMHO Lighthouse III is currently a DOWNGRADE. It takes MUCH longer to boot, frequently I find that I have to reboot, because when I select CHARTS (this is how you select the chart plotter function) on the MFD It draws my boat, my tracks, but no chart! LightHouse II started quickly, and always displayed the charts when I selected the chart plotter.

I was caught in a squall this past Saturday on Narragansett Bay. The squall featured heavy rain and small hail, as well as several nearby lightning bolts and thunder. The big drops of rain that hit the chartplotter screen caused it to get very squirrelly. I was glad that the eS78 has the push button interface in addition to the touchscreen, as the touchscreen was unusable in those conditions.
Thanks for the follow-up. I have heard LH3 was slow to reinstitute the sailing features on LH2. Hadn't heard about boot issues. On Defender, the Axiom 7 is $665 and a wired remote with buttons/knobs like the eS78 has is another $197. Out the door for under $900, less than the price of a eS78 (if you can find one), though the button panel needs to be installed somewhere. Have heard lots of votes for the hard button/knobs on other posts.