Crossing the Atlantic...

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Site is blocked at my work.
Looks like a miserable time trapped in a barrel. What happened to "it's not the destination, it's the journey"?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Strange. I'd have to ask why. There is no skill needed, no mystery to understand, just a lot of time sitting alone in a barrel. So what happens if you wash up on a shoal? or find your way in the path of a container ship? This seems like a slow motion suicide.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Barrel? That is a lifeboat sized high tech capsule. It may not be that comfortable but it appears there is very little danger involved.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Can't open the article. Does he have lighting so he doesn't become a hazard for real sailors?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Can't open the article. Does he have lighting so he doesn't become a hazard for real sailors?
strange... it opened for me and my people at work are super paranoid about security.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
strange... it opened for me and my people at work are super paranoid about security.
It is not always about security. I work in a school district, some times what I can access and not access seems random. SBO does not get blocked, Cruisers Forum does. YouTube is blocked. I think sometimes it is an admin decision to reduce the number of distractions from work more than security.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Barrel? That is a lifeboat sized high tech capsule. It may not be that comfortable but it appears there is very little danger involved.
Indeed. That is barrel shaped, but for sure not a barrel. The distinguishing characteristic is that barrels ROLL. That thing is ballasted to prevent that.

But I approve of his choice in wine.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Indeed. That is barrel shaped, but for sure not a barrel. The distinguishing characteristic is that barrels ROLL. That thing is ballasted to prevent that.

But I approve of his choice in wine.
Certainly the nicest barrel I've ever seen. Galley, standing head room, solar electric and foie gras! Something I'm wondering is how does he re-board? Here he is is towing the barrel in shallow water, but I don't see any re-boarding ladder.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Has the same ugly square lines of a modern sailing vessel. Must be trying to get increased waterline length for speed.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Certainly the nicest barrel I've ever seen. Galley, standing head room, solar electric and foie gras! Something I'm wondering is how does he re-board? Here he is is towing the barrel in shallow water, but I don't see any re-boarding ladder.
Built on ladders on front/back.