Sound advice for guests

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
crocs where originally designed as a sailing dingy racing shoe :)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
A brand can be defined as a cult brand if the following factors are present:
  1. A superior level of customer loyalty is achieved
  2. Brand loyalists perceive no true competitors to the brand as there are no substitutes for the "true" brand
  3. Customers receive a sense of ownership with the brand
  4. Loyalty is sustained over time (as opposed to fads which are unsustainable and short-lived)
  5. Customers receive more than a product, they experience a lifestyle
Our old stand-by reference, Wikipedia
I'm not dis-agreeing with that definition. I'm disagreeing with your blanket assessment.

Like 99% of nautical wear brands, Sperry has diversified to survive. Hell, MUSTO sells jeans now for chistsake. Most sailors I know treat these brands and their actual sailing shoes just like they would any tool maker; if the tool is good and works, then it goes into the box. If it does not, it gets tossed. And while I'll wear very specific footwear on very long, cold or tactical races, my go-to on-the-boat shoe for the last 6 or so years has been the Sea Kite Sport. Racing, cruising, sitting and anchor or hanging at the club in a dress shirt and khakis. A great shoe. No 'cult brand' appeal needed.

15STSMSKTSPRTMCBRFOT_Grey.jpg

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
to each his own. i don't want cockpit parties to spoil a good sail. all guests are 'crew' to help sail the vessel dynamically.
i always ask if the newbie can swim. non swimmers can scare easily.
i love putting a newbie a the helm to leave the dock. yes i talk them through it.
i was never big on drinking and driving and that includes boats.
if i wanted finger food i'd invite them to the house and we can sit on one of the sweetest porches on the great lakes and tell stories. like about the great sail we just had :)
crew are 'hands' , not holders of horderves
we campaign aeolus. with up to five sails at once we are not looking for posers that won't work.
i never solo sail, there are to many people always wanting to go again. during the season we try and sail every day. i get asked daily by people offering to crew. the bay is full of boats sailing slowly, boring! people want to sail, not drift.
when people ask to bring food i promote only fruit. water is my go to drink.
my way of sailing is obviously way different than most. i like dynamic sailing and that's what i share. and if you work hard you might get a ride on the Ascow. :)

p.s. bare feet welcome

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Can’t help if mellenials have adopted Sperry’s for fashion. I’ve been sailing over 40 years and have had Sperry’s just as long. Obviously a very functional shoe that is timeless. If that makes me a cult member, so be it. I have one pair of tennis shoes that I only wear to bike.

Nov 8, 2010
Although I have to admit, @Kings Gambit, Jodi has threatened to buy a pair of these for the boat. Cult brand indeed!

The damnable part is, the shoes will probably be OK, and she'll look spectacular.

glitter sperry.jpg

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
my go-to on-the-boat shoe for the last 6 or so years has been the Sea Kite Sport.
Interesting. Sorry for the thread hijack but do you get more than a few months out of them before the soles dry out and turn super slick? That's the problem I've had with all the lower cost Sperry's. I switched to West Marine Performance mocs and could get at least 2 seasons out of those, but they're discontinued now, so I'm looking for a replacement.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
These (the Oxford) are working out well for me right now, but I have not had them long. A little heavy but a good, well-built shoe. Soft leather on top w/rubber outside sole; do not leave marks. Can take some water without soaking it up into the socks. I wear them in the dink as well, now that it's a double aluminum hull. Genuine Grip about $51. Before this one (Oxford style) I had the Sport Classic at bottom which is much more of the "sneaker" type. It's a lighter shoe. Lasted me about two years but I wore them very often, including off the boat as well as on. You can also get 'em in white. Not terribly stylish for boating, I admit. Some would say basically a street shoe. Clearly, I know next to nothing of fashion.:biggrin:

In all fairness, however, I have to admit that I have several shoes aboard the Bavaria when out, in addition to this one. A pair of Sperrys similar to the one JD pictured, rubber-soled sandals (cf. Teva) with heel strap, rubber-soled moccasins for below, a pair of body glove water shoes, and neoprene booty's with "hard" soles. But no flip-flops or loafers on deck.:yikes:

Oxford Genuine Grip

Sport Classic Genuine Grip

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
The best thing about boat shoes is you can wear them without socks, which I do, nine months out of the year, on the boat and off.
Try doing that with sneakers!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
...Oh wait, didn't I just read a new scientific report about how the sun doesn't really give people skin cancer, it's the sunscreen?
Well PABA is a little like smearing benzene all over your skin. But I think we've stopped using that -right? Sunscreen now uses - the old fashioned - ZnOxide which is smeared all over my car's upholstery and my wife's :badbad:. But I have "Pre-cancers" all over my face and arms so ...

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
no spray sun screen, ever. no potato chips, one chip will leave a stain for ten years. hell, no chips or crackers at all.
You guys are either really anal or have boats much nicer than mine!

No chips, no red wine, no Cheetos.... do you allow a dark beer? BBQ anything? Ketchup and mustard? Blueberries? Coffee?

I am glad my boat is “lived in”:(

Greg

Nov 8, 2010
Interesting. Sorry for the thread hijack but do you get more than a few months out of them before the soles dry out and turn super slick? That's the problem I've had with all the lower cost Sperry's. I switched to West Marine Performance mocs and could get at least 2 seasons out of those, but they're discontinued now, so I'm looking for a replacement.
I hear you. There was a few years back were the sport sperry soles would get hard after a year or so. Before that event they worked like magic. After that date, hard and slick as glass.

This style/range have never had that problem.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
I am glad my boat is “lived in”:(

Greg
And then there are the owners that obsess over their “resale value” to the point they cannot enjoy the boat and it’s amenities and rarely if ever have guests on board. They have bought a boat to basically maintain it in pristine condition for the person they will eventually sell it to.
A boat that brings joy and good times shared with family and friends will collect a few stains and minor scars that will usually bring a smile when you remember the sail they happened on.
I’ve probably had more guests the last couple years than most other boat owners have had or want. I have been extremely lucky, almost all have been gracious and appreciative. But, one of the highlights of boating for me is taking people out on the bay who have never been sailing.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
And then there are the owners that obsess over their “resale value” to the point they cannot enjoy the boat and it’s amenities and rarely if ever have guests on board. They have bought a boat to basically maintain it in pristine condition for the person they will eventually sell it to.
A boat that brings joy and good times shared with family and friends will collect a few stains and minor scars that will usually bring a smile when you remember the sail they happened on.
I’ve probably had more guests the last couple years than most other boat owners have had or want. I have been extremely lucky, almost all have been gracious and appreciative. But, one of the highlights of boating for me is taking people out on the bay who have never been sailing.
Have you seen what a pack of teenagers can do with a Costco size bag of Cheetos?