Racor 500 Filter

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I'm not sure which Racor I have, Jesse. It has the clear bowl with a drain. It is mounted under the aft berth, aft of the wet muffler in it's own shallow bilge. Sorry I don't have any pics.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
This is the 500. I have the Racor R20. Replacement filters are $35-45 here in the Caribbean. The Racor 500 are under $20. And everything I am reading says they are a better filter and easier to change.
That looks like a nice filter, Jesse. Turbo-charged! It might be a bit too tall to install where my Racor is.

Last edited:

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
My Racor is in the same location that Tom J describes, but mine is a R12 unit (picture not from my boat)

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
The 500 is taller. Will it fit under the aft berth? Or would you go with the non plastic version and mount it in the engine compartment?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
$200 will buy a lot of R20 filters. But unless you have a fuel tank contamination problem there is no reason to be changing filters until they need to be changed. How do you know when to change filters? You have a vacuum gauge that gives you a heads up. I haven’t changed my Racor 110 in three years. Zero vacuum restriction. Will pull the drain this year and see if I have any water in the bowl. If you keep the top vent in place it just dribbles a few spoonfuls of fuel. Also have the Racor R20 on my genset, that one is even easier to manage, clear bowl and it includes a priming pump. The Racor 500 is spec’d for 60GPH, your engine moves what 5GPH? Overkill.

Attachments

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Not mentioned was another major reason to upgrade to the "500 series" filter. It has less places for an air leak.

Our '88 boat came with the then-common Racor filter with the "stacked assembly" of the R20 model and the possibility of two separate O-rings to leak. After a number of years, we chose once to upgrade to the newer version of the same Racor model, as the original one was out of production and there was a question as to how long the elements would remain available.

Last year, when we changed out the original diesel for a new Beta, I followed the advice from several mechanics and installed the 500 series Racor. I also found a nearby separate area for it so it no longer would live in the engine compartment. Any filter there would need a metal bowl ($) over the bottom plastic bowl to meet current ABYC fire recommendations anyway.

Given that we only had to change the old filter element out every year or other year as a precaution, the new larger 500 should last a long long time between filter changes.
Back to air leaks (aka 'vacuum leaks') I had to trouble-shoot dying-engine symptoms a couple of frustrating times with the old Racor, and one time had a re-plumb my way round the Racor to get home from a vacation cruise.
Someone mentioned size of the total filter assembly. I did find that it measured out a bit taller. If there is a couple of inches to spare where the old one is, the new "500" might fit OK. Measure your boat, and use a mock up to visually check the fit, before you buy the new one.
Happy motoring, and filtering!!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
This is the 500. I have the Racor R20. Replacement filters are $35-45 here in the Caribbean. The Racor 500 are under $20. And everything I am reading says they are a better filter and easier to change.
Jesse,

Hi again! The tradeoff is less expensive filters with a more expensive manifold vs. the more expensive 20 filters and a much cheaper screw-in housing. I do not believe the 20 housing can be used for the 500 filter.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Stu is correct. The 500 filter does not work with the 20 housing.
I like the 500 for it’s top down change design. I can change filter without inducing a air into my fuel system. Filter change 7 minutes, no diesel spills, $10-$15 filter. Yes the initial cost is steeper than smaller models. But starting with dirty fuel and multiple filter changes to clean / polish the fuel, lower overall cost.

Very happy with the 500M Racor. .

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
The 500 is taller. Will it fit under the aft berth? Or would you go with the non plastic version and mount it in the engine compartment?
That's kind of what I am trying to find out. Hopefully someone on a C310 has already done the leg work.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
$200 will buy a lot of R20 filters.
No, it will buy 5 here. And they get more expensive down island. Plus there is the availability side. After running for Irma and going through 6 filters in 10 hour motor, we couldn't find replacements but there were plenty of Racor 500 filters available.

But unless you have a fuel tank contamination problem there is no reason to be changing filters until they need to be changed.
Easy thing to say in the states. Harder when you cruise. Even harder when you cruise to remote locations. We have purchased fuel from guys who have it in a 55-gallon drum on the side of the dock. Even marinas down here don't follow the same protocols to help keep the fuel you receive clean. So it's not uncommon at all to get contaminated fuel and have issues even when using a baha filter and fuel additive.

How do you know when to change filters? You have a vacuum gauge that gives you a heads up. I haven’t changed my Racor 110 in three years. Zero vacuum restriction.
Agreed that this is the best method to know when you have a restriction. But when you get bad fuel and are going through filters every 1-2 hours it doesn't help. Plus the number of hours on our engine probably varies greatly from yours. We are full time live aboards and cruisers. We can put on 500 hours in a few months depending on the weather (charging batteries when cloudy or having to head dead into the wind).

The Racor 500 is spec’d for 60GPH, your engine moves what 5GPH? Overkill.
Its not as simple as flow. Its cost of replacement filters. Availability of replacement filters. Easy of change (you don't have to rebleed the system as much with the Racor 500 as you do with other styles, you can even keep fuel in the filter housing and change the filter with minimal priming. If I could fit it I would purchase a Filter Boss dual filter unit but on a 31 foot boat there is just so much space. These dual filter units are not uncommon on cruising boats even though the GPH rating is often 100 times the needed flow rate for the engine.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have one of these Racor 500 on my 2007 H-36 for years and love it so easy to change just
unsecrew top and pull lift out old filter and drop in new filter easy and quick and fast if need to.
And so much cheaper than those Racor bottom spin on and I have the Racor r-12 for my Gen
and what a pain and usually a mesh of diesel and hate to change right under my bed and need to move it to more easy spot to be able to change with out a mesh.
So worth the Racor 500.
Nick

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I am really surprised that your Baja filter doesn’t manage this problem. Even if mine does not capture all the water, it definitely grabs the sediment. We can tap the tank bottoms (water) thru the fuel gauge port.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
JK once you decide to go with the Racor 500 it really is location. Which I understand you are asking about.
My thoughts are
  1. Where you have access to change it. You need access to the top of filter to change it.
  2. Between the fuel tank and engine. Minimize length of fuel line.
  3. About the same level as the engine. This minimizes lift issues.
  4. Where you can make it secure.
  5. Where you can add an auxiliary 12V continuous service diesel rated pump if needed on engine side of filter. Electrical connection near by.
Where are your tanks? Because some find their tanks under the table seats they locate the pumps beneath the seat. Engine room is popular but suspect you have limited space there.
Finally decide on type of conditions you will change filter. Changing it in a gale with the ship rocking will be messy as once you remove the housing top the fuel inside is open to sloshing out.

Good luck.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
JK once you decide to go with the Racor 500 it really is location. Which I understand you are asking about.
My thoughts are
  1. Where you have access to change it. You need access to the top of filter to change it.
  2. Between the fuel tank and engine. Minimize length of fuel line.
  3. About the same level as the engine. This minimizes lift issues.
  4. Where you can make it secure.
  5. Where you can add an auxiliary 12V continuous service diesel rated pump if needed on engine side of filter. Electrical connection near by.
All excellent points. That's why I'm curious if others with the same boat have mounted one yet. Why reinvent the wheel.

Where are your tanks? Because some find their tanks under the table seats they locate the pumps beneath the seat. Engine room is popular but suspect you have limited space there.
Tank is actually under the sugar scoop. Tough location and about a 10 foot run to the engine that necessitates running uphill. The boat already has a 12 lift pump. I fitted a second one for priming the Racor and polishing fuel. I plan to do the same again, its just a matter of where I can mount the Racor 500.

Finally decide on type of conditions you will change filter. Changing it in a gale with the ship rocking will be messy as once you remove the housing top the fuel inside is open to sloshing out.

Good luck.
Yup. But such is the life of a cruising sailor.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Even if mine does not capture all the water
And there in is the majority of the problem. Once water gets in the bugs come next. And pumps emulsify the oil so the filter can't get it all out. Best practice is to fill from Gerry Cans that have been sitting for a few days to settle out the oil and sediment. But even with that its tough down here.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
A comment on OEM location for parts like this...
Production boat building is all about speed (i.e. labor cost) and systems engineering that is "good enough" for maybe a decade.
Never be afraid to upgrade these systems and even change some parts locations. There are often better ways to do this stuff, but you will need to invest your time and energy to figure them out.
Lucky you- there are lots of other owners to share their solutions on great sites like this. :)