Garbage Patch 1, Clean Up < 1

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Their collection of 2000 kg of plastic through the use of ghost nests and other means doesn't sound very impressive compared to the expected 1000 kg / wk expected by the Project 001 structure. I wish their report included actual performance numbers for garbage collection instead of terabytes of data generated. Can we have data garbage? Data pollution? What happens when we get too much of that?

Anyhow, I hope they get right back out there soon.

-Will (Dragonfly)

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Not to worry. The West Coast is in the process of banning all of the plastic straws used. That should solve the problem in less than a year. At least that is what I think I heard in the promise video.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Can a person still buy a firearm after a straw conviction? just curious............. ;)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Can a person still buy a firearm after a straw conviction? just curious............. ;)
That's a good question. Are we sure straws are being outlawed because of litter or is it that they are capable of piercing a potato? In the right hands they could be considered a deadly weapon.

-Will (Dragonfly)

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@RussC It is not a clearly defined issue as of yet so be safe... Stock up.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It seems unlikely to be able to clean up such a mess but I have to admire the hubris. I guess I'm a pessimist - that's optimist with experience - but I don't see the gyre going away. That generation will eventually be running the show so I wish them the best. I used to walk the beaches to find cold stunned turtles and pick up trash from LI Sound. I found an unbelievable amount of those juicy-juice containers - the ones that have a straw included so that the little ones can't spill the whole container. These weren't from India. They were from Connecticut. Probably washed into the Sound during gully washer rains. So some of the problem is us. I'll be using way fewer plastic straws and I'm becoming mindful of the plastics I use.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I'll be using way fewer plastic straws and I'm becoming mindful of the plastics I use.
The moves to ban plastic Q-tips, straws, bags, plates, and utensils will have a small impact on the amount of plastic floating around loose, however, that is not the important effect. The important and long lasting effect is the heightened awareness these bans cause on the problems of plastics in the environment. That will lead us to be more careful with the plastic we use, use less plastic and find ways of more efficiently recycling it.

One of the drawbacks of our pastime is the heavy reliance on plastics, almost everything on our boats is made is made of plastic. It looks like there are now serious efforts being made to reuse the fiberglass. Rhode Island is looking at using ground up boats as a filler in concrete. http://rimta.org/index.php/2018/12/18/boatus-foundation-grant-to-rifvr/

I've heard of power plants in Canada using old boats as fuel for their electric generating stations. The aerospace industry generates a lot of scrap carbon fiber and resin and they are looking at ways to reuse it. One method is to use the glass and carbon fibers in non-structural items on the plane, think sign holders, seat back trays, toilet seats, etc.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I'm hoping they don't ever recycle ground up fiberglass or carbon fibers for toilet seats :yikes:

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Not to worry. The West Coast is in the process of banning all of the plastic straws used. That should solve the problem in less than a year. At least that is what I think I heard in the promise video.
I bought my wife some stainless steel straws. She won’t drink water out of a glass at a restaurant, and in Maui, they have banned plastic straws (and plastic bags too).

I will drink coffee, wine or beer out of just about anything. I don’t need no stinking straw!

Greg

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Yeah! Straws are for ________’es. “I’d like a Beefeater Martini - and bring a straw”. Or “I’ll take a Sam Adams with a straw.” No, no , no!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I bought my wife some stainless steel straws. She won’t drink water out of a glass at a restaurant, and in Maui, they have banned plastic straws (and plastic bags too).

I will drink coffee, wine or beer out of just about anything. I don’t need no stinking straw!

Greg
Saw those SS straws in the grocery store this afternoon, interesting idea. I think paper straws will work too.

Hawaii is really sensitive to the plastics and ocean environment. Last June I was in Hilo, on the Big Island and saw these medallion embedded in the street and sidewalks near storm drains:

IMG_1224.jpg

The gutters were really free of debris. Locals were really conscientious about what they dropped on the ground. More than once I saw someone smoking a cigarette and instead of tossing to the ground, they put it out and placed it in a garbage can.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
The moves to ban plastic Q-tips, straws, bags, plates, and utensils will have a small impact on the amount of plastic floating around loose, however, that is not the important effect. The important and long lasting effect is the heightened awareness these bans cause on the problems of plastics in the environment. That will lead us to be more careful with the plastic we use, use less plastic and find ways of more efficiently recycling it.

One of the drawbacks of our pastime is the heavy reliance on plastics, almost everything on our boats is made is made of plastic. It looks like there are now serious efforts being made to reuse the fiberglass. Rhode Island is looking at using ground up boats as a filler in concrete. http://rimta.org/index.php/2018/12/18/boatus-foundation-grant-to-rifvr/

I've heard of power plants in Canada using old boats as fuel for their electric generating stations. The aerospace industry generates a lot of scrap carbon fiber and resin and they are looking at ways to reuse it. One method is to use the glass and carbon fibers in non-structural items on the plane, think sign holders, seat back trays, toilet seats, etc.
Oh no, banning Q-tips!!!! AArrggghhhh.!
There was a time in RI when ground up mafiosos were used as filler in concrete :)

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
the big problem on the lakes is fire retardant foam used at air ports. the stuff won't break down. the surface foam on the the lakes has changed allot. and they still continue to use it even for practice. all the waterways around airports and air force bases is full of it and then it ends up in the big lakes.

that and all the crap dumped on suburban lawns